So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Trader Rating: 34
Discussion
Some weird stuff going on...Need advice

Hi Everyone,

I recently had some dealings with a member & was just a bit suspicious of his or her activities. Just curious anyone else has experienced the same & if there is reason to be concerned.

Ok, so we agree on Price - I get paid on paypal as a gift & he/she wants to have the item shipped with their own prepaid shipping, i guess they get a flat rate. Ok so I'm ready to ship.

First I get sent funds from one name on Paypal.

Then I get an email from another name.

Then he/she asks for my address for a shipping label. I give it - but then it has ANOTHER name on the return address.

And then I'm shipping it to a whole other different name.

4 different names & none of them match. Some are male, some are female.

What the heck is going on? Should I be concerned?
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:05 AM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
3,305 Posts
Trader Rating: 90
Without more to go on I"m not sure, that does sound strange. Does the user have a good trader rating? How much $ are we talking about. Knee jerk is to refund and run. I don't know, this one sounds really strange. Perhaps ask him/her directly what is going on and let the answer determine if you continue the deal.
johnbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:06 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Yea they've been with RCG for a month. They have 4 trader ratings, sales and buying all positive.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:07 AM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,428 Posts
Trader Rating: 29
If they are using a friends account to have the item shipped, they might be using their friends name.

If the money was sent via paypal, and as a gift... you are golden. You could in theory not send them anything and you can walk away with their money. I understand how you can be suspicious, but I wouldn't think too much into it. I would just send the item and hope it reaches the person who paid you.
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:13 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4wd View Post
If they are using a friends account to have the item shipped, they might be using their friends name.

If the money was sent via paypal, and as a gift... you are golden. You could in theory not send them anything and you can walk away with their money. I understand how you can be suspicious, but I wouldn't think too much into it. I would just send the item and hope it reaches the person who paid you.
Yea its not a whole lotta money, only $40 here. But still its such a weird situation. The other sticky part about this is the fact that I have asked for their name & all communication has stopped.

I then confronted them about it about 11 hrs ago and still have no response on it.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:40 AM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,607 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
Paypal gift with credit card still leaves it open to chargeback I think but I don't see why for $40 in goods.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:51 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,193 Posts
Trader Rating: 68
I had someone purchase an item in a foreign country.

The shipping cost was prohibitive,so they asked me to ship it to someone in the midwest.

That person signed for the package, but a third person paid via Paypal.

Three people involved can still be a legitimate deal.

The sudden lack of communication is worrisome in your case.

Some people won't tell you they don't want to finish a transaction-they just walk away without a word,leaving you to wait until YOU decide to move on.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:30 AM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,770 Posts
Trader Rating: 35
For me, it goes both ways. I won't pay via gift, nor will I accept payment via gift. My ads state PayPal only to confirmed address; that way you can use PayPal to ship.

That said, I wouldn't worry about the multiple names - could be a mom/dad/sibling deal with a workplace thrown in.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:36 AM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,529 Posts
Trader Rating: 43
I would not call 11 hours, a lack of communication, as people do sleep.

I can see your concern, but I'd proceed and not worry about it.
PropsnWings is online now Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:26 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,896 Posts
Trader Rating: 181
I wouldn't worry bout it..Money received....that's all that matters......

But ....you are abusing Pay Pal...just hope they don't suspend you..In all reality..You just made a Fraudulent transaction to use their services....I did that a long time ago...not knowing really that I just kinda took advantage of there services also...I'll NEVER do it again....Its just valuable a resource too lose for me on internet dealings...
Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:49 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,918 Posts
Trader Rating: 234
I would never accept payments like that and have the buyer supply the label. Refund the monies and call it a day, there'll be plenty of other buyers.

I'm a firm believer in the duck theorem: if it quacks, smells and looks like a duck, it probably is...
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:05 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,730 Posts
Trader Rating: 40
I don't care if it's completely legit or not - that's too many convolutions & I'd bail.
The way I figure it, PPal uses confirmed addys & accounts info for a reason, and those are tied to ONE person. Anyone who strays off the beaten path is only opening themselves up to learn the latest method some crap-artist has invented.

The only one watching out for you is you. Towards that end, as I see it, you as the seller are the one that sets the terms & conditions, & everyone has 2 choices: take it or leave it.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:21 AM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,529 Posts
Trader Rating: 43
I admit, I take payments from spouses paypal accounts, and think nothing of it, as the address is the same......... but with this many changes as you say.... I would have just refunded and moved on. Nothing nowhere says you have to sell to any certain person. I agree, too many variables and quite honestly I would be confused as to who is actually buying the item, and what could happen down the road, with a chargeback, and trying to explain how the Paypal system was circumvented to pay for goods.
PropsnWings is online now Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:59 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,730 Posts
Trader Rating: 40
Yeah -- there just gets to be a point where it ain't worth it to try & keep it figured out.
For me it's the good ol' K.I.S.S.M. System.
Keep It Simple for Stoopid Me.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:14 AM
United States, NY, Lewiston
Joined Apr 2011
323 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
I negotiated for an item on these forums and agreed on a price....the entire discussion was visible in the forum post. We agreed on the price, and before I sent payment via PayPal, I got a notification that payment was received and item had been shipped. It seems that what happened was that somebody else managed to horn in on the deal; they saw what I had negotiated and sent payment before I did, thus somehow tricking the seller to send the item to them instead of me. I can't say it was stolen or I was gypped; the seller got his money and I hadn't paid anything, the actual buyer simply benefited from the great deal I had negotiated. So there may well be something hokey going on, and if you want to avoid some confusion I suggest you get a complete explanation from the buyer(s) and make sure you are shipping to the right place, BEFORE you ship. I would not simply cancel and refund; it probably is a legitimate deal, and if you were to cancel after payment is received, you would be in breach of contract. If you have received payment, SOMEBODY is entitled to the item, and if you refund without their permission you are breaching the contract and deserve a bad trader rating.
theghosttanker is offline Find More Posts by theghosttanker