mshay is offline Find More Posts by mshay
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2013, 02:11 PM
Veteran RC Pilot!
USA, GA, Holly Springs
Joined Feb 2007
108 Posts
Now There's a Classic!

I have not seen a Kalt in a long time, I had a Cyclone, Great bird except for the belt slipping. How about a Schluter Mini-Boy! Mine was a garbage can revival (a neighbor saw it in the trash at work and brought it to me!) Although in all fairness I stretched it with a Helistar tail, competitor blades and put an Enya 50H in it. It flew great but still limited by tight collective throw.
mundo330 is offline Find More Posts by mundo330
Old May 30, 2013, 02:13 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
963 Posts
to the OP: did you end up getting a fuel powered heli? I was going to mention the Gaui NX4 but Align still makes Nitro 600's and 700's. Other brands too like Minature Aircraft and Thunder Tiger. If you go to big heli events, there are always lots of fuel powered models. Plenty of Nitros in my club.

Electrics have more power but there are advantages to fuel powered. I've been getting to gas power. I have a converted Trex 700. If you want to go gas powered and have enough money, the best setup is the Whiplash Gasser with a BH Hanson 290 3D Max engine or Toxicmarine VX270TT. The stock engines are a little weak.

There are various conversion kits for Trex 600N and 700N. see helixheli.com and helibug.com
rhodesengr is online now Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Jun 02, 2013, 01:00 AM
Joined Dec 2007
845 Posts
As you can see above in post #5, on page one of this thread, the video of the Century Radikal G30 gives you a very good idea of the exciting flight capabilities of some of the current gasoline powered helis available today.

If you do have an Align T600 or T700, you will also find that HWC make some great gasoline power conversions for them. They come with the same heavy duty clutch system found on the Radikal G30 in the video, so you will not need to upgrade the stock T600N or T700N clutch system needed to take the higher torque & high power now available from many of the current specially modified Zenoah gasoline engines available for their use.
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Last edited by Cyclick; Jun 02, 2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2013, 11:29 AM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jul 2004
532 Posts
I went from electric to nitro ..LOL electric is nice but I got tired of charging those big lipo battery's just to fly for 5 min. I have a rappy 30 v2 and love it seems to fly for ever on a full tank.
smoothb10 is offline Find More Posts by smoothb10
Old Jun 09, 2013, 12:56 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothb10 View Post
I went from electric to nitro ..LOL electric is nice but I got tired of charging those big lipo battery's just to fly for 5 min. I have a rappy 30 v2 and love it seems to fly for ever on a full tank.
I hear ya. I still fly electrics but I still fly my 7 year old Century Hawk Pro with the OS37 regularly. It has already worn out two motors, but the mechanics are still going strong. I get 15 minute flights with it. Ditto for my Century NX 50...this gets 12 minute flights with the OS50Hyper.

Both have good power to weight ratios also,
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Last edited by rotoraddict; Jun 12, 2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 05:26 PM
United Kingdom, England, Leics
Joined Feb 2010
47 Posts
Electrickery wots that !

Boys you can stick yer lipo's were the sun dont shine
u cant beat the smell of nitro or petrol or jet1 in the early morning sun
mmmm !
elec--tric long arms n deep pockets !
liquid fuel u can mix it or blend it to your own exotic require ments
dave peers is offline Find More Posts by dave peers
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:36 PM
Vintage Heli Flyer.
United Kingdom, Wales, Llandudno
Joined Jun 2013
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundo330 View Post
I have not seen a Kalt in a long time, I had a Cyclone, Great bird except for the belt slipping. How about a Schluter Mini-Boy! Mine was a garbage can revival (a neighbor saw it in the trash at work and brought it to me!) Although in all fairness I stretched it with a Helistar tail, competitor blades and put an Enya 50H in it. It flew great but still limited by tight collective throw.
Kalts can still be found, they do come up quite a lot on ebay now. I've been buying spare parts for mine on there.

I have 2 Kalt Baron 20's - one is my first Heli that I bought 30 years ago and it still flies. The 2nd has been built up from spare parts and is now being used on a scale bird.

The first pic is my 30 yr old machine and the 2nd pic is my Bell 222UT under construction. The flybarless head is a modified Kalt head.

Mark
MDSCUSTOMS is offline Find More Posts by MDSCUSTOMS
Old Jul 03, 2013, 07:56 PM
=>] Smack 3D Head [<=
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2007
3,120 Posts
If electric helicopters have a ton more power and I can do the same moves on a nitro helicopter does that mean I am a better pilot?
HeliSmith is offline Find More Posts by HeliSmith
Old Jul 03, 2013, 08:00 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliSmith View Post
If electric helicopters have a ton more power and I can do the same moves on a nitro helicopter does that mean I am a better pilot?
No, just means you are a noisier smokier pilot

How come you didn't come down for Rotorfest?
rhodesengr is online now Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Jul 03, 2013, 08:29 PM
=>] Smack 3D Head [<=
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2007
3,120 Posts
I was in the middle of moving my son here, he used to live with his mom in Southern California but he's 15 he wanted to move to Northern California with me
HeliSmith is offline Find More Posts by HeliSmith