HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:06 PM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Nese,

FYI: dozens of people have replaced the rubber rings with stiffer ones, thinking it would help, because it does help on CP helis. On the V200's it actually makes the heli fly worse than ever. It must have "slop" around the feathering shaft because of the FP Pitch-Rocker design.
Nice knowin' there are the experienced out there. When I see my heli pitch up I couldn't help imagining the force of the wind on the leading edge so the fingers start pushing, pulling, prodding, etc. Well it almost seems logical, but even if it were the flybarless system probably needs this dampened slop to operate its logarithm somehow. Fuzzy indeed... Until I find some sleeves for the mod.
nese is offline Find More Posts by nese
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:46 PM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese View Post
Nice knowin' there are the experienced out there. When I see my heli pitch up I couldn't help imagining the force of the wind on the leading edge so the fingers start pushing, pulling, prodding, etc. Well it almost seems logical, but even if it were the flybarless system probably needs this dampened slop to operate its logarithm somehow. Fuzzy indeed... Until I find some sleeves for the mod.
The Battery Mod, plus the Sleeve Mod, makes this heli fly more like a bigger heli, as Dsobbe said. However, it is still a small 200 class heli and the wind will eventually win, compared to a 450/500+ size bird. I can honestly say that the "feel" of this heli is 100% improved with these two Mods, a BIG difference!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:31 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Nese,

FYI: dozens of people have replaced the rubber rings with stiffer ones, thinking it would help, because it does help on CP helis. On the V200's it actually makes the heli fly worse than ever. It must have "slop" around the feathering shaft because of the FP Pitch-Rocker design.
Heligriff is right. But, you can compress the existing soft rings very slightly to take some looseness out of the control "feel" without causing problems. At best, all you'll get is a subtle change in control response. It certainly won't do anything to correct pitch up.
dsobbe is online now Find More Posts by dsobbe
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:49 AM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
The Battery Mod, plus the Sleeve Mod, makes this heli fly more like a bigger heli, as Dsobbe said. However, it is still a small 200 class heli and the wind will eventually win, compared to a 450/500+ size bird. I can honestly say that the "feel" of this heli is 100% improved with these two Mods, a BIG difference!
Knowing that's enough for me to press on finding the tubes this weekend. The battery mod (by removing the front brace off the lower frame) looks fairly simple to do and IMO is reasonable because it creates an alternative way to insert batteries and also allows slightly longer batteries to be used. Taking off and replacing the canopy is quite a regular feature of most helis anyway so no issue here. I will also do this one this weekend.

All this in the search of the better flying experience in this convenient little heli. I've got other CP helis waiting in the hangar, but I'm in no hurry just yet to put my Walkera FP helis down. The fun and challenge is still there and I guess it shows that both pilot and product are still far from perfection. And I must say I'm enjoying the journey! Great stuff!

I'm looking forward to a busy heli weekend... and more flying too
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:52 AM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
Heligriff is right. But, you can compress the existing soft rings very slightly to take some looseness out of the control "feel" without causing problems. At best, all you'll get is a subtle change in control response. It certainly won't do anything to correct pitch up.
Yes, given the knowledge here I think I'll leave this one alone for now and save me some time to carry out those couple of mods instead. Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:13 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Until I find some sleeves for the mod.
Don't limit yourself to hobby shops and hardware stores for materials. Candy76man used a telescoping antenna section for the sleeves. Flea markets and scrap yards are great sources for raw materials. I also scratch build r/c sailboats. I get 90% of my rigging hardware, cordage and sail materials from Jo-Ann Fabrics and Walmart. After you get the hang of it you'll never be able to look at something like a broken umbrella without thinking, "There's a tail boom, some hatch hinges, fasteners and a dozen pushrods". And, they're free!
dsobbe is online now Find More Posts by dsobbe
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:53 PM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
Don't limit yourself to hobby shops and hardware stores for materials. Candy76man used a telescoping antenna section for the sleeves. Flea markets and scrap yards are great sources for raw materials. I also scratch build r/c sailboats. I get 90% of my rigging hardware, cordage and sail materials from Jo-Ann Fabrics and Walmart. After you get the hang of it you'll never be able to look at something like a broken umbrella without thinking, "There's a tail boom, some hatch hinges, fasteners and a dozen pushrods". And, they're free!
I suppose I will get into looking at things disassembled after some practice... I'll never look at umbrellas the same after this.

'seems like a good time to start looking in my own store room and clean out all the years of stuff in there at the same time

Btw, it may sound like a simple DIY question but I have to ask how do you cut the small metal tube for the sleeve mod? Do you use a pipe cutter?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:03 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
I suppose I will get into looking at things disassembled after some practice... I'll never look at umbrellas the same after this.

'seems like a good time to start looking in my own store room and clean out all the years of stuff in there at the same time

Btw, it may sound like a simple DIY question but I have to ask how do you cut the small metal tube for the sleeve mod? Do you use a pipe cutter?
I used a big-honkin' pipe cutter! Now, I'm gonna buy a thumb-cutter (tiny) and a modeler's saw (tiny teeth).

see my mod at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1385262&page=5
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:05 PM
WarpQuad, Flip260FPV, etc.
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,404 Posts
Quote:

I used a cutoff wheel on my dremel. And since it's next to impossible to get a perfectly straight cut that way I slid the sleeve onto the end of a spare mainshaft and grind as needed to straighten it using the end of the mainshaft as the guide.

Also, I found that the second section from the top of an old am tx antenna I had was the perfect size for this mod.
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:23 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
I used a cutoff wheel on my dremel. And since it's next to impossible to get a perfectly straight cut that way I slid the sleeve onto the end of a spare mainshaft and grind as needed to straighten it using the end of the mainshaft as the guide.

Also, I found that the second section from the top of an old am tx antenna I had was the perfect size for this mod.
Smarty pants! I didn't think about using my Dremel until I had already cut it off.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:44 PM
Canada, BC, Nanaimo E
Joined Dec 2010
88 Posts
Didn't work

Well putting the CB180Z blades in my better copter did not work. Just wouldn't lift off.
Blew one blade to bits trying to jump from the deck and then tipped.

I've had absolutely no problem with the V200 blades so I guess I have 8 sets of CB blades that are of no use. That was $35 wasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb194 View Post
The CB 180z blades are 2 gram's lighter, thinner stock and 1/2" longer than the V200D01 stock blades. I just don't seem to get any lift. I did have a spin problem that seems to be there every second flight that I thought I corrected by changing tail gears.

I'll try the 180Z blades on my other V200 that is flying well.
dkb194 is online now Find More Posts by dkb194
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:17 PM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
I used a big-honkin' pipe cutter! Now, I'm gonna buy a thumb-cutter (tiny) and a modeler's saw (tiny teeth).

see my mod at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1385262&page=5
I've seen this of course, I'm subscribed , but there was no visual or mention of how big your pipe cutter is . I think I know where to find a thumb cutter...
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:27 PM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post

I was considering a dremel I've seen someone using at work so that's one more option

I've added old antennae to umbrellas and other metal tubings to my list of "look out fors" this weekend at the flea market. Gonna be fun
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:44 PM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb194 View Post
Well putting the CB180Z blades in my better copter did not work. Just wouldn't lift off.
Blew one blade to bits trying to jump from the deck and then tipped.

I've had absolutely no problem with the V200 blades so I guess I have 8 sets of CB blades that are of no use. That was $35 wasted.
I believe you're referring to the part number cb-180-z for the blades meant for the cb180d, q, etc which are longer than the blades meant for the 180z. Confusing part numbers - could be someone in parts development department at Walkera likes 'z'.

I accidentally bought some too thinking that it would fit but nope, didn't dare fit them on to avoid the possibility of having them clash with the back rotor blades - I'm running short of those tiny bevel gears for the tail

Otherwise the blades used on the 180z and V200D01 are the same. I'm using the V200D01 blades on my 180z as I bought 5 pairs at a go "cheaper by the dozen" as it goes.

And I've also tried the "OEM" knock offs which are really soft, have poor lift and makes flying strange - even after the blades have been balanced.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:50 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
I was considering a dremel I've seen someone using at work so that's one more option

I've added old antennae to umbrellas and other metal tubings to my list of "look out fors" this weekend at the flea market. Gonna be fun
The dremel cut off wheel would work ok. The main benefit of using a pipe cutter is that you are sure to get a straight cut. The only downside of the pipe cutter is that you need to use gentle pressure and many turns so you dont close down the pipe you cut resulting in some fiddly filing work to get the tube back over the shaft.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47