SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:10 PM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,679 Posts
Discussion
Evolutionary airfoil design optimizer available

You can download and run the program for free, and only pay for the airfoil ordinates that gives performance results you want:

http://www.evolutiondesigns.eu/

There is an article in this month's RCSD, p.74.

http://www.rcsoaring.com/rcsd/RCSD-2011-12.pdf

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:35 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,554 Posts
Looks interesting. Any idea what aerodynamic analysis they use to actually evaluate the airfoil designs? After a quick look through I didn't see anything about that on the website, only information on the genetic algorithm. I certainly wouldn't want to pay for any results without even knowing that (garbage in, garbage out, as they say).
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:26 PM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,679 Posts
Dan,

I was wondering that as well. I've asked them, and I'll let you know if they tell me.

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:03 PM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,664 Posts
Dan, Kevin,

Would be interesting to know. It's probably a useful optimization tool.

I wrote some genetic programs a while back that optimized airfoil sections. I found a program that predicted performance of sections based on the coordinate sets you input to it. I inserted my genetic program as a loop component. It fed in section data and used genetic techniques to make modifications based on the results that were returned. Each step was displayed on the PC monitor. It was fun to watch, but actually it just produced an output that matched the evaluation programs criteria to whatever fitness function I gave it as a target.

If the genetic program could be part of a loop that contained an infinitely variable section mounted in a wind tunnel, it might do something creative.

Tom
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper