HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:33 AM
Rapidly aging user
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined May 2012
180 Posts
Discussion
Hover made from VL929 Quad heli

Hi..... inspired by a post in Helifreaks I decided to rebuild one of my hovercraft using the control board & motor set-up from a quadcopter. I used the board & 2 rear booms from a V929. Steering/throttle is by the left stick (mode 2) which controls throttle & yaw on the quad.
I’ll try to put video on here….

RC Hovercraft from quadcopter (1 min 46 sec)

Note: Updated 7-5-13 with new video. Switch to GWS 5443 helped w/ thrust. Gave up on seperate lift motor in favor of simplicity & light weight.
Ralph
raw89 is offline Find More Posts by raw89
Last edited by raw89; Jul 05, 2013 at 09:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:36 PM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
1,093 Posts
Neat
Any more detail how you arrived at this ?
A closer look would be good too
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:40 AM
Rapidly aging user
Joined May 2012
180 Posts
Hi – The original video from Helifreaks thread, LOL……
Blade MQX revamped into something else... (1 min 5 sec)

My original craft used the board & vectored thrust steering from a twin engine park flyer. Here, steering/throttle is by the left stick (mode 2) which controls throttle & yaw on the quad.
Hull is 4mm thk corr plastic 14” x 11” w/ rip stop skirt. Lift duct is f.g. but I often use thin alum roof flashing mtl. One photo is bottom of hull & jig I made to scribe the cut lines on a male mock-up of skirt shape to join skirt sections. Ducting channels about 25% of prop air to inflate skirt & under hull for lift.
Started out just taping two 2 boom/motor assy together braced w/ balsa beams & plugged into the quad board (sitting on top the duct). All done w/ masking & 2 sided scotch tape – very Rube Goldberg…
When that seemed OK, I moved the board down to the hull for weight dist. & protection by plugging 2 more booms in serial to get enough wire length. At this point, everything is still plug-n-play that I could easily return the parts to heli spare part service.
Finally committed to project by cutting & extending motor wires while replacing the cf booms w/ a piece of alum tube & making/fastening better parts (no cardboard!). I can still use the motor assy’s as spares for my mQX or reassemble the VL929 quad if desired.
The lift duct & hardware could be used on a simple hull (upside-down foam to-go food tray?) if you wanted to stick to flat, dry surfaces. Questions welcome, please post pic’s of what you come up with. Just experiment & enjoy!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:17 PM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,402 Posts
so can you come to a full stop and keep the skirt inflated? it looks like you are using part of the thrust to inflate the skirt if im looking at it correctly. why not one main boom and motor center running off a constant power and use the two up top for yaw?
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:02 AM
Rapidly aging user
Joined May 2012
180 Posts
K - your correct. The "Ducting channels about 25% of prop air to inflate skirt & under hull for lift." no thrust/no lift. I chose a combined system on this small craft for simplicity & lite weight.
My larger model (pic below) uses a lift fan & separate vectored thrust. By comparason it's twice as large but (because of old-school hardware) over 7 times as heavy!
A lift fan will require at least require a kill switch to kill lift in case of an impending collision. I've been wanting to try using another boom assy in one of the open power plugs on the quad board to try this. Don't know if the quad controls will do what I want. May try it this weekend, will post update.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:50 PM
Rapidly aging user
Joined May 2012
180 Posts
Success!!.......plugged a 3rd boom into the board, got the right connector by dumb luck. When I pull back on the right stick ( down elevator ) thrust/steering motors slow while the new lift motor maintains it's speed. Should make for some interesting driving options.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:02 AM
United States, OK, Goldsby
Joined Jul 2012
456 Posts
I'm new to hovercraft (except for my unused-for-decades typhoon), so pardon me for asking what's probably an obvious question: what's with the clear box on the front? Is it part of the ducting setup?

Also, what transmitter are you using? Any mods? Maybe an eepe file?

FWIW, I don't think you got the right plug "by accident" when you added the lift prop. The blades are counter-rotating, so you have two plugs on the same side, otherwise yaw wouldn't steer. Which means that either one of the two cyclics will slow them without slowing either of the other two plugs. Given that the are the same color, you've got the front or back pair unless you moved them around, so it's elevator. At least, that's what it looks like to me, but like I said, I'm new at this.
Mike Meyer is offline Find More Posts by Mike Meyer
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:14 PM
Rapidly aging user
Joined May 2012
180 Posts
Hi Mike - Yes, the clear box is part of the lift ducting. I built this craft running all the lift air into the skirt at the rear. It then comes out of the skirt into the box (to step over the inner skirt attachment) and goes down into the hull lift area. I don't like putting holes in the skirt for lift. BTW, I since added an opening in the hull inside the lift duct to allow more lift air.

Using the stock Tx from the VL Toys 929 Beetle quad RTF.

Quick (poor) photo attached of the test conversion I did today w/ the 3rd motor. Had to cut the prop down to 4 1/8 in. to fit the used food containers I had in inventory, LOL, so lift is only adequite but there's plenty of room for tuning.

I've gotten concerned that the pager motors in these mini-quads are known for questionable lifetimes and a hovercraft spends most of the time at full throttle. We'll see............
Old Jul 09, 2013, 07:55 AM
Rapidly aging user
Joined May 2012
180 Posts
First river test

Video of first river test to give everybody a good laugh!! Sorry about the 2 explicatives....

Not successful but no damage & educational. Think I have H2O getting into the skirt & pulling the bow down. Don't know yet why it wouldn't straighten-out....will work on it.

First test of V929 quad based hover in river. (2 min 11 sec)