HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:44 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
965 Posts
Discussion
Did Horizon actually try building the Advance 25?

I am currently completing an E-flite Advance 25. Very nicely made but I wonder if Horizon ever tried to fit the battery and ESC in the place they say they should go?

I remember years ago in Oz the milk industry moved from bottles to cardboard containers. They were almost impossible to open and I understand it was not until a roomful of executives were given a cardboard container of milk and were told to open it did they realize they had a problem.

I have been playing around for an hour trying to figure out how the hell can they say to put them where they say and they fit and be able to get the battery in and out without cursing. They should give the plane to the Horizon executives and get them to fit the ESC and battery.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:08 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Man, even just looking at the manual it looks tight. It looks like there might be room to mount the battery vertically, in stead flat like they show in the manual?

For my Ultra Stick 25 I mounted the ESC under the battery tray. It was a pain to get in there, but it made my battery compartment much roomier.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:54 AM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
965 Posts
I thought about putting the ESC under the battery tray. I would have to cut the tray out and sort out some way of fixing the tray so I could get to the ESC at any time. I would also have to try and get more ventilation under there as well. I could move it to a position over the wing. Again I think more ventilation would be required. Ah well, keep on keeping on.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I have the ESC attached to the battery compartment lid. Battery placement is no problem.

The servo cutouts are sized (and holes drilled) for JR MN-48 servos, and that's a bit of an issue. You'll probably need to hack those if you choose a different servo.

Otherwise, it's a pretty straightforward "build" and a very nice flyer once it's done.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:25 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,273 Posts
I wonder why Eflite is so keen on the MN-48? That's the servo for the Pogo and I've seen a couple of others that specify it. Nice enough servo, but a bit pricey and an odd size that makes it a real pain to find an easy fitting alternative.

For the OP in case you are still looking for servos, they are available in Aust under the JR Eagle servo brand as the E381: http://www.nitrodude.com.au/catalog/...oducts_id=8693
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:31 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,026 Posts
Lol that's what Facebook did with the Android app. Facebook spend the vast majority of their time tweaking and massaging their iOS app but spent little time on the Android app. The Android community voiced their opinion but FB wasn't listening. Finally one of the executives forced all the FB app developers themselves to use the Android app and wouldn't you know, it got an update shortly thereafter. Not like I care since I don't use Facebook, but an interesting similarity.

You would think they would realize these things since they have to take those pictures for the assembly manual. But the truth is that very few airplanes today, even the good ones, don't require at least a little modification during assembly.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:40 AM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
I am currently completing an E-flite Advance 25. Very nicely made but I wonder if Horizon ever tried to fit the battery and ESC in the place they say they should go?

I remember years ago in Oz the milk industry moved from bottles to cardboard containers. They were almost impossible to open and I understand it was not until a roomful of executives were given a cardboard container of milk and were told to open it did they realize they had a problem.

I have been playing around for an hour trying to figure out how the hell can they say to put them where they say and they fit and be able to get the battery in and out without cursing. They should give the plane to the Horizon executives and get them to fit the ESC and battery.
I have my ESC mounted to the right side of the compartment with velcro and the battery fits nicely on its edge with velcro and the included strap. One thing that helps is to work the ESC to motor wiring down into the slots between the battery tray and fuse side. I use Turnigy 3300's or 4000's. You will have to add some weight to the tail to get it to balance. There is a thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=eflit+advanc
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
Last edited by eagle1960; Dec 06, 2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: add link
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:34 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7 View Post
Man, even just looking at the manual it looks tight. It looks like there might be room to mount the battery vertically, in stead flat like they show in the manual?

For my Ultra Stick 25 I mounted the ESC under the battery tray. It was a pain to get in there, but it made my battery compartment much roomier.
I had to make a few slight alterations to my UltraStik to get the battery easily without inducing cronic nose-heaviness too.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:07 PM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
I have the ESC attached to the battery compartment lid. Battery placement is no problem.

The servo cutouts are sized (and holes drilled) for JR MN-48 servos, and that's a bit of an issue. You'll probably need to hack those if you choose a different servo.

Otherwise, it's a pretty straightforward "build" and a very nice flyer once it's done.
I would like to see a photo some time of how you did that. I suppose i means the hatch will hang off the motor wires when detached. There appears to be plenty of clearance for the motor wires and battery wires above the battery.

It is a straightforward build and with other than my question there are no other surprises. I used Hitec HS-225BB Mighty Mini Servos. They fitted straight in. I was thinking of using some Futaba digitals I have from a 500 size heli but decided the plane did not warrant them.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:15 PM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1960 View Post
I have my ESC mounted to the right side of the compartment with velcro and the battery fits nicely on its edge with velcro and the included strap. One thing that helps is to work the ESC to motor wiring down into the slots between the battery tray and fuse side. I use Turnigy 3300's or 4000's. You will have to add some weight to the tail to get it to balance. There is a thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=eflit+advanc
Thanks for that. I did look at the putting the battery on it's edge and had virtually decided it was the way to go. I am using Zippy Compacts, 3300 because I have found them to be lighter and smaller than most other batteries. Thanks for the link. I did a search and I cannot recall that one coming up.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:06 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
The question wes asked why were jr mn-48 servos recommended.
The answer is simple: Horizon is a JR dealer. Did you expect them to recommend Hitec or Futaba servos?
Horizon is no different than any other company. They are going to push their own products. It's just good business.
Remember you don't have to used that servo. Most other brands will do as well.
Just my opinion.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:21 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
The question wes asked why were jr mn-48 servos recommended.
The answer is simple: Horizon is a JR dealer. Did you expect them to recommend Hitec or Futaba servos?
Horizon is no different than any other company. They are going to push their own products. It's just good business.
Remember you don't have to used that servo. Most other brands will do as well.
Just my opinion.

BM
That makes good sense now you mention it, although I was thinking less about the brand, and more the oddball size - it's not easy to find an equivalent in any brand. So you can use anything, it's just a pain to hack the servo mounts. I guess it's much the same as the slightly screwy size on eflite motor x mounts - make it hard to go outside the Horizon product family.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
I would like to see a photo some time of how you did that. I suppose i means the hatch will hang off the motor wires when detached. There appears to be plenty of clearance for the motor wires and battery wires above the battery.
You've got it. I saw that there was depth but not width available. So yeah, the hatch cover is attached to the ESC, I forget what kinda glue or adhesive I used. It has the advantage of making the hatch cover that much more difficult to lose or misplace.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:45 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post

As has been noted, Horizon is in bed with JR so the electronics spec'd in their planes are JR. But, the Hitec HS-225 is the same size and mounting as the JR MN-48. There's only a couple of US$ difference in the price between the two (~$25 +/- $2 depanding on your source), so take your pick.

WRT the CG on the Ultrastick, I don't understand the nose heavy comment. I have a heavy Monster Power 32 on it and a 4xA123 pack. The ESC is under the tray (it was more work plugging and redrilling the fire wall for the Monster Power than getting it under there - but I use APP connectors, it might be harder with Deans), the BEC is in the depression under the wing and the Rx is mounted to the left fuselage side. The battery slides in the hatch and all the way to the servo tray with no difficulty. CG is a little aft of the mfg's recommendation. I've also had 3x2500 and 3x3000 LiPos in there and they fit just fine and balance is the same.

- Roger
gnofliwr is online now Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:01 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
That makes good sense now you mention it, although I was thinking less about the brand, and more the oddball size - it's not easy to find an equivalent in any brand. So you can use anything, it's just a pain to hack the servo mounts. I guess it's much the same as the slightly screwy size on eflite motor x mounts - make it hard to go outside the Horizon product family.
And thats exactly how they want it.
Can't blame Horizon for wanting the customer to use exactly whats on their recommended list of components, especially given its usually what they sell.

Their brushless line is park450, 480, power10, etc etc usually has planes built around the motors they sell

Example.

Extra 260 480...well you "need" their 40amp eflite esc and Eflite Park 480 with their specific battery and of course Eflite S75 micro servo's..

cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38