HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:25 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,361 Posts
These look like a great bargain. I'm OK with the bare tubes.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-...G-RE/202052422
loNslo is online now Find More Posts by loNslo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2014, 01:06 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,619 Posts
A few years back someone apparently traded me for their old guy eyeballs. From my mid 50's and on it seems like I can't get TOO much light. So my new shop areas have the fixtures located right above the working areas. Even then I find it handy to have a boom light and a couple of very bright LED flashlights handy for looking into darker recesses.

So the lights in the middle, even with the white reflective walls, simply would not work for me either. Some years back it would have been fine. But those days are well behind me. Now it's all about having them located directly over the working areas. And LOTS OF THEM! ! ! !

So you young guys enjoy it while you can. You'll get to where the rest of us are soon enough...
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jun 28, 2014, 04:19 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,361 Posts
Eye strain is cumulative--there's no escape. And, yeah, at 70, I'm one of the lucky ones. Decades ago I had Lasik eye surgery, for my nearsightedness. It took good care of that, but now I need reading glasses for all close-up work! Wish I had not done it. But the biggest drawback is that I need more light on the work. So I am particularly aware of lighting shortcomings.

Most of my own shop lights were old when I got them. And it is becoming increasingly more difficult to keep them running. Also they're energy wasteful for their output. Because of some recent large machinery additions, some rearranging needs to be done, anyway. And one of the 8 x T-12 units quit, altogether, with an erupting dimming ballast which is no longer made . So I've been looking at options.

If you stand/sit between the light and your work, not only do you block much of the light from falling on your work, but glare from surrounding surfaces, which are not in shadow, further reduces visibility.

I like the 4-foot size fixtures that can be suspended on chain or heavy, solid wire. The open roof cross-ties provide nearly infinite options for re/locating the fixtures, which are all wired with long-ish power cords. These are then controlled by multiple power strips which allow me to illuminate only those areas I'll need, at the push of a button.
loNslo is online now Find More Posts by loNslo