HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2014, 07:16 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,113 Posts
The HK units are spread all over town and work great. People in my club have been buying them ever since I got one of the first ones. Like mentioned, they heat fast, hold temperature, and use the Hakko tips. Not sure what else to say for $15.00!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=111041772721
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Last edited by Rich in ILM; Nov 30, 2014 at 08:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2014, 09:08 AM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jun 2014
452 Posts
$17 plus shipping. Shipping rates have gone up due to the shippers raising rates. Even since the start of this thread, back aught .... '12. It's all good. I felt okay due to all the positive reviews.

@Dovi - You mentioned this station back in the x1 thread , should have got it back then. I destroyed an esc soldering leads to the pads. Bad iron wouldn't heat fast enough. Too lazy to post pics (have to take them first) the destruction I delivered on those poor fets. Anyway, that will be a good board to test the station on for practice.
stuartambient is offline Find More Posts by stuartambient
Old Nov 30, 2014, 03:27 PM
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Apr 2013
2,142 Posts
Hey Stuart!

I haven't checked shipping, but, it wouldn't surprise me if it went up..
Fuel went down, so HK probably had to find another way to burry false fees in the orders..

I do remember that shipping just about doubled the price of the station though..
$15 was wayyy too good to be true..

Aw bummer.. Sorry to hear about the ESC...
I've done the exact same thing overheating pcbs when working w/ my single temp iron..

Yes, save that thing, and use it for practice! That's the best idea ever!
I have a bag filled with old random pcb's, and even tough I'm a soldering madman
[welding background] I still like to randomly desolder components just to keep on my toes..
DirtyDovi is offline Find More Posts by DirtyDovi
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2014, 06:34 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jun 2014
452 Posts
I heard the whole fuel this is a scam

Last week I paid double with shipping for a bag of reverse thread metric hex nuts. I guess it happens when you need something one off. The station doesn't bother me though. What was weird was that USPS was more xpensive then Fedex.

I still am interested though in knowing if anyone had concerns about the grounding wire on the transformer. The other thing I picked up from this thread and elsewhere is the genuine Hakko tips are a bit tight going on. The fake Hakko seem to be a better fit.

Meanwhile outside of any repairs, my next scratch build is a few months away (have to build the frame first) so I'm searching around for some other electronic things I might build using solder.
stuartambient is offline Find More Posts by stuartambient
Last edited by stuartambient; Dec 01, 2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 08:50 PM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,199 Posts
Correct, shipping was about the same as the unit so your $15 per unit becomes $30 which is still a bargain for what you are getting. I've had mine for over a year and it has worked flawlessly. The other day I was soldering 12 gauge wires with no issues.

Now, for the shipping, find one or more friends and get them in on this to split the shipping. If my memory is correct, I added a second unit and the shipping only went up by $2. So my friend and I only paid "$9" for shipping each. If you add more the shipping drops dramatically (after splitting it).

As for the grounding, I'm not too worried but that's me. 110V is not going to kill you. You'll get a tingle though...
MK is online now Find More Posts by MK
Old Dec 01, 2014, 09:07 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,797 Posts
Not sure about the fuel issues your talking about boys but don't HK sell this soldering station in one of their USA warehouses? i'm sure i've seen them in there before,anyways like someone else said even with the added shipping cost your still getting a bargain,i've had mine for some time now and i use it all the time and i've brought some smaller and bigger tips and it's still working like a charm,i don't now how i manged with out it.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Dec 01, 2014, 09:45 PM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,199 Posts
Right, got mine at the US warehouse back then. $16 for the station and $16 for shipping. On principle that doesn't sound right but I see it as a $32 soldering station that is worth every penny!

Ordered two, one for a friend so it was $16 x 2 plus $18 in shipping. $25 each.
MK is online now Find More Posts by MK
Old Dec 02, 2014, 06:54 PM
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Apr 2013
2,142 Posts
MK,

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I did..
[Going the $16 + $16 USA warehouse route]

Then I used a RadioShack tip on it, and called it good..
DirtyDovi is offline Find More Posts by DirtyDovi
RCG Plus Member