HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2011, 04:47 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe101 View Post
Work not done at factory is to meet price point... Is this considered 2.4 friendly with carbon servo tray? 2.4 install would need a little more attention to placement.

Looking forward to continued reports.

thx

sj
It may not be carbon. It may be "black glass" to give the look of carbon. Notice the white edges at the servo hole cut outs.

Tom
Kiesling is offline Find More Posts by Kiesling
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2011, 07:50 PM
colorado
Joined Apr 2009
97 Posts
You can pick up my wing, Wed. after work. Ill drop it off at Skips with the winch motor. You can have it all week, If ya need it longer let me know. Nice job Tony.
laryctdummy is offline Find More Posts by laryctdummy
Old Feb 01, 2011, 08:17 PM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
Cut the DB9 connector plug out and getting the wiring harness ready.
The WING wiring harness will be under 36grams for center and outboard panels.
The DB9 connector actually snapped into place.
Also showing how I leveled the servo tray side to side in the fuse.
Shimmed up the block with strips until top-bottom sides were snug.
Only showing one of the three blocks used to level.
kilwein is offline Find More Posts by kilwein
Last edited by kilwein; Feb 01, 2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 08:52 PM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
Hi SJ,

I will try and get an answer if it is carbon or other (black glass?) on this tomorrow.
Want to make sure I am correct on the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe101 View Post
Is this considered 2.4 friendly with carbon servo tray? 2.4 install would need a little more attention to placement.

Looking forward to continued reports.

thx

sj
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:57 PM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
Getting ready for cutting slots after I verify the length and width of cut.
I am making jigs for cutting the slots. Will make separate ones for the ailerons and flaps.
Put tape on bottom side of jig to prevent any marring of wing.
Will mill a small lip on bottom side to align with wing hinge edge after length is determined.
Last edited by kilwein; Feb 01, 2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:40 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,859 Posts
I love that you made a jig for cutting slots, that's a nice idea, especially if it is adaptable for different planes.
I may have to make myself one as well.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:26 PM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
Thanks, Stayed tuned on this one.
Made it out of metal so it would take some grinding and not be affected to much. Used aluminium for now but steel later. Hopefully the material would go first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
I love that you made a jig for cutting slots, that's a nice idea, especially if it is adaptable for different planes.
I may have to make myself one as well.

R,
Target
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:35 PM
USA, MI, Charlotte
Joined Aug 2004
3 Posts
Very cool. I was hoping someone would do a build for this plane. I'll be watching with interest.
Capt
Capt_Morgan is offline Find More Posts by Capt_Morgan
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:40 PM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
Fitting some work in-between other stuff.
Finished the V-Tail servo's. Nothing special here. Very straight forward.
Going to add a dab of glue to the longer control rod outer sleeve(to front servo) to the fuse a little closer to servo, but still allow free movement. May prevent bending under a load. The rods are pretty stiff as is. This is probably overkill on my part.

Working on the DB9 connector in the fuse now.
Will mount the wing connector first then mate this one up to it.
This will be a good check on the wing-fuse mold alignment.
Maybe tomorrow finish the wing harness and have installed.

EDIT:
Started the Fuse wiring harness. It will be under 33grams, have ~2-4 extra inches on each lead that will get cut off when routed inside fuse.
Added better pic's for r-l servo's

EDIT: 2-3-11
On future builds I will mount wing connector first, then the install a blank mating connector in and put tape on fuse where the connector goes and then place wing on with longer wing bolts and lightly press the connector pins into the tape so I get a accurate cut location.
Last edited by kilwein; Feb 03, 2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 03:50 PM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,638 Posts
Hi Tony

The length of the servo horns for the Elevator/rudder look a bit long to me. In most of my V-tails I get away with the innermost hole on the servoarm and still achieve sufficient throw (which depends on the length of the rudder horn, which tend to be a bit short on todays mouldies).

May I suggest that you try out how much servo throw you need to get the necessary deflections on the V-tail? If you only need 20-30% of the total servo throw, I highly recommend shortening the servo horns. Primarily You get much better resolution (also trimming) on the rudder, but also a stiffer linkage, reduced slop (from the servos) and less torque load on the servos.

Keep up the good work!

Reto

PS: I try to follow Mark Drela:
http://www.mail-archive.com/soaring@.../msg92805.html
1) choose ratio surface horn/servo horn such that you use the full servo throw to get the desired deflection of the surface (elevator, aileron,etc.)
2)make the surface horn as large as possible, then use a servo horn that fulfills 1)

When the surface horn is already given (as on your V-tail), then at least try to get a horn ratio as required in 1).
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RetoF3X; Feb 02, 2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Added link to Drela's notes on RCSE and mouldie note
Old Feb 02, 2011, 04:33 PM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
Hi Reto,

Thanks for the comments.
I will plan on 100% servo throw for max control throws. This will be adjusted soon as I get the ball links clevaces on the v-tail (have the short rods installed ready for them). Hoping to mount close in so I can get a little more torque. I have also set the Hyperion servo's for minimual deadband, the two airtronics servos will be for the flaps. Goal is to get no slop in any of the controls. We will see how it goes very soon.

Thanks,
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetoF3X View Post
Hi Tony

The length of the servo horns for the Elevator/rudder look a bit long to me. In most of my V-tails I get away with the innermost hole on the servoarm and still achieve sufficient throw (which depends on the length of the rudder horn).

May I suggest that you try out how much servo throw you need to get the necessary deflections on the V-tail? If you only need 20-30% of the total servo throw, I highly recommend shortening the servo horns. Primarily You get much better resolution (also trimming) on the rudder, but also a stiffer linkage, reduced slop (from the servos) and less torque load on the servos.

Keep up the good work!

Reto
Last edited by kilwein; Feb 02, 2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 07:34 PM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
Hi Joe,

Stopped by tonight after work, missed them, I will get before-during lunch tomorrow.

Thanks,
Tony

For those that do not know, Joe (AKA Larry the crash test dummy) has the original Vulture which he is flying. I am going to measure his wing for the cuts and make the cutout jig depth-width to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryctdummy View Post
You can pick up my wing, Wed. after work. Ill drop it off at Skips with the winch motor. You can have it all week, If ya need it longer let me know. Nice job Tony.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 10:35 PM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
Fuse wiring harness going in and mating to wing.
The wing and fuse DB9 connectors were off just under 1/16 from the molded in locations. Quick and easy to adjust on the fuse side.

I had to drill a cross over hole to snake the left side servo wires thru. 1/8 ovaled out. This is why the DB9 connector is offset.

I beefed up the DB9 mount in the fuse with a little extra fiberglass. Made small flat beams from side to side that the connector screws go into. May be over kill but was very little weight added.

Just realized I have a inspection scope that will work here.
I did a snoop in the center wing thru the flap servo cutout and it looks GOOD, solid glue lines-joints. Went in the fuse, looks good also.

Have to charge the camera up before more pictures tonight.
Last edited by kilwein; Feb 02, 2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 05:58 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilwein View Post
Hi Reto,

Thanks for the comments.
I will plan on 100% servo throw for max control throws. This will be adjusted soon as I get the ball links clevaces on the v-tail (have the short rods installed ready for them). Hoping to mount close in so I can get a little more torque. I have also set the Hyperion servo's for minimual deadband, the two airtronics servos will be for the flaps. Goal is to get no slop in any of the controls. We will see how it goes very soon.

Thanks,
Tony
Torque is not a problem in v-tail servo, but dead band and resoution is. Shorter horns are better.

Vulture has quite wide fuselage. I would not install v-tail servos in line in center of the fuselage. Having them closer to fuselage side makes sraighter run for the pushrod and prevents the forward servo pushrod to intefere with the rearward servo.

Just as a personal note, I think mpx6 connecter is more robust and easyer to solder than the 9 pin connector.

Overall the Vulture looks like a very nice F3J plane. However, like mentioned before, I think carbon servo is not what we want with 2.4 radios. I see no problem with plywood servo tray, or very stiff fiberglass lamination, if the manufacturer wants to make it out of composites.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Feb 03, 2011, 07:53 AM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Aug 2008
374 Posts
Hey Tony,

I can`t wait to see this plane flying. Let me know when you `re planning to "stop" by the field.

Cheers

Marco
VirTus is offline Find More Posts by VirTus