HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2010, 04:49 PM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,565 Posts
Question
Low budget Rx power supply

I've got this Nitro heli, a Raptor 30, that I got up and running recently. It's old and I don't want to spend my precious few hobby dollars upgrading the many things I could on it. I'd rather just fly it for what it is.

I have one problem that needs addressed though. The servos are Max 4.8V and are pretty old. They work fine on the 4.8V receiver pack (4x1.2 nicd) that was provided but that pack isn't in any shape to work with my XPS receiver. I'd love to put an A123 or 2S lipo for the Rx pack.

I recall one of these threads where someone provided a non-switched connection from the higher voltage battery to the Rx and then had lower voltage to the servos. That sound familiar to anyone? Is there an inexpensive way to do it? Is it a do-it-yourself thing or was there something you can buy to do it. It sounds like just the thing I need. I can't even move the servos around on the ground much, let alone flying, without triggering the low voltage warning on the Rx.
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2010, 04:56 PM
Joined Jun 2004
184 Posts
If your servos are pretty old as you say.......I believe I would spend some money and replace those and the battery. I run Hyperion servos in all my helis (EVO 50, EVO 90 and various electrics) and use A123 batteries for the rx. The servos are rated at 6V and they are pretty inexpensive and have been VERY reliable.

Jeremy
DaBear is offline Find More Posts by DaBear
Old Aug 03, 2010, 05:09 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,565 Posts
Well, I've definitely thought of replacing the servos. The key here is that I don't want to spend the money right now. I'd rather spend my pennies on the plane I'm setting up right now
Old Aug 04, 2010, 08:23 AM
The Villages, Florida
Joined May 2003
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulicheng View Post
Well, I've definitely thought of replacing the servos. The key here is that I don't want to spend the money right now. I'd rather spend my pennies on the plane I'm setting up right now
One solution might be to run that heli on 72 until you can afford to upgrade the equipment..... If you don't have any 72 receivers laying around, you can certainly pick one up DIRT CHEAP !!
JuanRodriguez is offline Find More Posts by JuanRodriguez
Old Aug 05, 2010, 10:25 PM
pyote,tx
Joined May 2007
226 Posts
why not just run it on a good 4.8 pack and enjoy it? xps will operate just fine on 4.8
3ddd is offline Find More Posts by 3ddd
Old Aug 06, 2010, 07:49 AM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,565 Posts
That is actually higher on my list of things to try. I borrowed a different 4.8V pack to test but it had the same issue with low voltage warning. Any suggestions on a good 4.8V pack?
Old Aug 06, 2010, 07:57 AM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,565 Posts
Oh, I had another thought too. I could put a nano on it. I have a spare one I haven't put in an install yet. It can operate to a lower voltage but they don't have a low voltage warning right? Seems that isn't actually the greatest solution.
Old Aug 06, 2010, 11:48 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
No, the nano's don't have a low voltage warning, but they do have a reboot indicator.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member