HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2002, 02:11 AM
3D Wannabe
Kamloops, B.C. CANADA
Joined Jul 2002
609 Posts
Blue Fan Fold Foam ?

What's the rage about blue fan fold foam ? Pardon my ignorance regarding this material but what's all the rage about this stuff ?

Kevin
KDB@KAM is offline Find More Posts by KDB@KAM
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2002, 09:08 AM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
If I had easy access to depron, I bet I wouldn't care a hoot about BFFF, but it is the best thing going around here. Speaking for myself, here are the key attributes of BFFF.

Cheap by volume. For between $35-$50 you get 25 2'x4' layers.

It is light, 0.75 Oz/SqFt.

It has a skin on it that increases the strength a lot over unskinned foam. It also has some give to it. A foamie plane will bounce out of light crashes.

Easy and fast to use.

Check out the gallery at http://www.foamfly.com to see what people are able to create in only days with this stuff!
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk
Old Aug 25, 2002, 09:37 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,055 Posts
Where can you buy blue foam to make planes like the x-bow?
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Aug 25, 2002, 09:47 AM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
The most success has been had at Lowes. I also found some at a local-only building supply store.

The XBow is a great design that would work just as well with stripped, taped foamboard from Walmart or any of the zepron/depron types if the blue stuff can't be found. Personally I would avoid pink foam because I found it to be brittle.
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk
Old Aug 25, 2002, 10:01 AM
Lance Armstrong- 7 times!
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
Look in the big fan fold thread for all the fan fold foam info you could ever want. I think it is up around 1500 replies, lots of good info and ideas. My 2c Hans
flybike is offline Find More Posts by flybike
Old Aug 25, 2002, 11:14 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
Well KDB@KAM ... its easy to build with.. easy to form or mold into compound curves .. and flying on an extremely limited budget its the best material for me considering each plane i make cost me about 1 dollar for the foam.. i have had several severe crashes and if it had been a Balsa model it would have been toothpicks.. a little epoxy or packing tape and your back in the air alot of times.. if not for Fanfold i probably would not be flying now..

Take Care and Keep Em Flying.. Vyceroy
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Aug 25, 2002, 12:25 PM
The effect is sadly temporary
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,677 Posts
Extremely durable.

Vyceroy,

Don't forget to tell the folks that you had an airplane run over by a car , that you were able to get back in the air...

For anybody who can't find Dow BlueCor Fan-Fold foam, here's the scoop. Get a bundle shipped right to your door. I will be posting this info on FoamFly.com soon, but here it is:

The Topeka Kansas Lowes will ship 4'x50' Amocor (Green) OR DOW BlueCor fanfold sheathing to your house via UPS. Just tell them which one you want, or use the barcode off my website.

They charge about $24.00 for the foam and a whopping $16.00 for shipping. (With shipping, that's cheaper than whole bundles cost in some parts of the country. )

The # is 785-273-0888. Ask for commercial sales then speak with Julie. I spoke with her on Friday, and she gave me permission to announce them to the world. So give it a shot. I told her you'd be calling.

Have fun,
-Dan
Hippo is online now Find More Posts by Hippo
Old Aug 25, 2002, 01:03 PM
3D Wannabe
Kamloops, B.C. CANADA
Joined Jul 2002
609 Posts
RE: Blue foam

Guys,

Thanks for the response to my question about the blue foam and the web page for it's use. Now I know where to look.
Kevin
KDB@KAM is offline Find More Posts by KDB@KAM
Old Aug 25, 2002, 01:04 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
OHHHH YEAH

Heh i forgot about that Lmao.. My P-51 was runover by my brotherinlaw ..some well placed epoxy and she is back in the air again.. the thing was thoroughly smooshed.. this is just another reason to go the fanfold route.. if you dont like the bare foam finish you can use lite filler and sand or you can use low heat covering on them also.. the possibilities are endless.. .. Can ya tell i love this foam?? lol ..

Take Care and Keep Em Flying.. Vyceroy
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Aug 25, 2002, 08:01 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,702 Posts
Green or Blue

Hippo/Dan,

Which would you recommend blue or green and why?

-- ggunners
ggunners is offline Find More Posts by ggunners
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2002, 08:41 PM
The effect is sadly temporary
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,677 Posts
Blue Vs. Green

ggunners,

The choice is simple. Blue. Unless you're sick of blue, and think Green would be a nice change of pace.

The Blue & Green foams bake just as well, both are available with the skin on them, and seem equally durable. The Green just happens to weigh about 25% more than the blue. (In the batches that I've tested) So, go with the blue. Unless you're sick of blue....

I have a comparative weight chart of all the foams on my website under the "What is Fan-Fold Foam?" page.

-Dan
Hippo is online now Find More Posts by Hippo
Last edited by Hippo; Jun 07, 2003 at 06:16 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 12:09 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,702 Posts
Thanks Hippo,

Call the Kansas Lowes and my bluecor is on its way. Meanwhile my friendly sturdyboard is being stripped for my first scratch built plane.

-- ggunners
ggunners is offline Find More Posts by ggunners
RCG Plus Member