HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2014, 01:45 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,010 Posts
Build Log
Aussie Cat

Well, I am excited. I ordered a new catamaran from Anthony at Aussie Hydros and I am looking forward to building up that boat for the next race season. If you ask me the design is just wicked looking, and from everything Anthony says it runs as good as it looks. It will be a few weeks before I have the hull in hand, but I am pumped.

It will be a nice change of pace from the Sprint Cats and Mean Machines that most of the club races.

I am also looking at this boat for a chance to try out hydrographics for the first time. I will probably continue with my semi T-Plus yellow and black scheme, but add some hydrographics in the center section. I am looking at something like the yellow snakeskin pattern over gold/silver tinted base coat. We shall see how that all works out.
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2014, 04:06 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,273 Posts
You won't be disappointed pal.
Anthony is a member of our club & his Cats & Hydros are a magic piece of work. They don't get beaten very often.
Here's a bit of a video with his & his sons', Chris, having some battles in the EA 4s class.
Great shot at 1:38 when Anthony & Chris pass my upside down Cat while fighting for the lead. One inside. One outside.
You can see how stable they are.
The 6s versions are rockets.

PS that's my red & blue Whiplash leading the field starting at 3.30. Nearly lapped one near the finish.

Pine Rivers RC FE Boat Club 2014 (4 min 30 sec)
785boats is offline Find More Posts by 785boats
Last edited by 785boats; Nov 05, 2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2014, 03:02 AM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,010 Posts
Yes indeed... that was the video that motivated me to get one of those cats. Very slick running boats.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:38 AM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,010 Posts
Well, the boat is in shipping now from Australia, so a big "Thank You" to Anthony and Aussie Boats.

The hydrographics kit arrived today, so I can try an experiment with that technology and "Gold Snake Skin". I will probably take one of the old cowlings and try the hydrographics on that before taking the proverbial plunge with the new boat.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:14 AM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,273 Posts
Cool.
I know the boat will be successful, but you will have to let us know how the hydrographics work out.
A snakeskin boat will look so cool.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 06:26 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,010 Posts
I did a quick "dip test". I took one of my old catamaran cowlings and tried out the hydrographics.

The cowl I dipped was similar to the painted cowling in the picture, except that the raised portion was black with a silver window. Same yellow base color.

After the dip, the yellow was clearly snakeskin. The snakeskin is very subtle over the black section, and ever so slightly more visible over the silver. You can see a few spots that didn't paint, which I guess is something you would expect and they say you take a scrap bit of film, a paint brush and a bit of the release agent. Dip the brush in release agent, pick up the appropriate color from the scrip film and touch up the zits.

Overall - the process is pretty simple, and seems pretty fault tolerant. I put some tape around the outside of the film but initially it had some ripples when laying down in the water. I could have done better with the tape around the edges. After spraying with the release agent it all seemed to lay down just fine and turned out pretty respectable.

So, now I know a bit more about base coat colors and what to expect.

Oh. I was using products from Dip Wizard. I only ordered the activator and the film and did not get either their base coat or clear coat paints. The base coat paint is Duplicolor Perfect Match paint, which seems to work fine.

I was going to do a scheme similar to the second picture below, (and that is where the cowl actually comes from) but maybe I should rethink. I was going to make the center section snakeskin with black on the outside. Or maybe snakeskin on the outside sponsons and yellow in the center....

I am not sure, but I think black outside, snakeskin center, yellow on the bottom to be visible if it flips. Maybe a different color stripe. I was originally thinking to tape off the black, but maybe not... allow the snakeskin to tint the black as well.

So, I few decisions to make, but overall... wicked cool stuff.
Last edited by cyberhoops; Nov 20, 2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 07:02 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,273 Posts
Man.
That looks so cool.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 09:35 PM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
970 Posts
is there a link to where i can purchase one of these Aussie cats, sweetest looking cat i have ever seen
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:45 AM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,010 Posts
No link that I know about... I just emailed Anthony.

aussiehydros@hotmail.com

He seems to be more active over on the Offshore Electric forum.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:59 AM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhoops View Post
No link that I know about... I just emailed Anthony.

aussiehydros@hotmail.com

He seems to be more active over on the Offshore Electric forum.
thanks alot cyberhoops, how much was the hull with shipping to the usa? well i guess i can ask him that lol

much appreciated hope to see your build progress
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,010 Posts
The Cat arrived today. Perfect shape.

It is big, black and bad a$$, but not very photogenic in black.

It also had a couple vinyl decals for Aussie Hydros, which I fully intend to use, and a windshield decal.
Old Today, 01:16 AM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,273 Posts
There will be some envious chaps around you when you drop that thing in the water.
Old Today, 03:07 AM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
There will be some envious chaps around you when you drop that thing in the water.
I'm envious of just the pics. Wish they were scratch and sniffs lol