SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2014, 09:33 PM
P. Seitz
United States, IA, Mechanicsville
Joined Jan 2006
547 Posts
Build Log
F-9f Panther

I am going to try and build a 14" F-9f from fanfold blue foam and WalMart picnic plates! There are several good 3 views on line and Comet made a stick and tissue kit. I will use the 28mm fan that comes in the Eflite Mig. I came across a slightly crashed Mig for sale extremely cheap. As I was never a huge Mig fan I gutted it for parts. all of the mechanical parts weigh 35 grams. I would like to keep the overall weight around 80 to 85 grams. The wing and fuse are cut as one piece every thing else will be glued to it. A peace of .030 carbon fiber is used for a wing spar and is glued in a slot in the wing. The formers on the Comet plans a pretty close to those on the 3views. But the comet kit plans are to short when compared to the 3 views.

Paul
seitz2c is offline Find More Posts by seitz2c
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:00 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,738 Posts
awesome project!!! i'll be following!

i scratch built a 50mm panther a while back with FFF foam and balsa, its a awesome flying little bird! got to love some panther!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 13, 2014, 07:28 AM
Joined Nov 2004
41 Posts
+1!
enriqueigl is offline Find More Posts by enriqueigl
Old Jun 13, 2014, 09:59 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,289 Posts
+2
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Jun 13, 2014, 02:26 PM
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jan 2013
467 Posts
Judging by the quality of your previous builds, this is going to be awesome
meerkat13 is online now Find More Posts by meerkat13
Old Jun 13, 2014, 04:41 PM
Hey guys...watch this
United States, KS
Joined Jul 2013
93 Posts
I have always wanted to build one of these so i might just have to get me some plans and stick around!
(just to one up you meerkat)
buildcrashrepair is offline Find More Posts by buildcrashrepair
Old Jun 13, 2014, 08:36 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
547 Posts
Nut I was following along when you built it. I plan on stealing a few of your ideas. never let a good Idea go to waste !

I tapered the wing top and bottom where it went through the intake duct. Then i glued the inside of the duct to the base top and bottom. then I hot glued a piece of PVC pipe the same dia. as the motor in place. I then cut from a Walmart picnic plate the upper duct halves formed them with the help from a little heat and glued them in place.

You can get a flat 4"x4" 1mm thick from the center of a picnic plate. it costs around $3.00 for a bag of 170 plates
Old Jun 14, 2014, 05:46 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
547 Posts
The lower intake is slightly smaller than the upper , it is easier to do them one half at a time. When the intakes are installed the lower fuse can be completed . start at the rear and work forward. Two of the formers F5 and F7 will be pined in place. After the lower skin is trimmed to the correct size where it goes over the ducting it can be removed they are not needed.

A 3/16 sq strip of blue foam is glued to the wing where the the intake covers meet the wing. this will give a smooth transition when going from the harder picnic plate foam to the fanfold
Old Jun 15, 2014, 06:02 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
547 Posts
The rt lower intake cover is glued in place . The seams are filled with Red Devil light weight spackle and sanded to shape
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:43 AM
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jan 2013
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildcrashrepair View Post
(just to one up you meerkat)
LOL - it's great seeing some new builds in this forum.
meerkat13 is online now Find More Posts by meerkat13
Old Jun 16, 2014, 07:41 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
547 Posts
Thanks Meercat I did a T-33 last month and did the Build thread in the wrong forum. They have little interest in anything micro! the bottom is done for now. The dummy motor housing is removed. The dummy is the same outside diameter as the eFilte housing but the walls are thicker and would not distort as I formed the duct. The base plat is notched to allow for the balsa motor mounts. after the mounts are installed they are saturated with thin foam friendly super glue to harden them. The motor is then screwed into place.
The upper half of former F9 is glued over the end of the intake duct. A piece of blue foam is glued between the front of the ducts this will serve as the rudder and ele. servo mount.

The receiver and the Rudder and ele. servos are hot glued into place. A hole is made ahead of the receiver for the battery wires. The area behind the motor is now removed the exhaust tube is now installed

The ail are cut and hinged. I used blue econo coat for the hinges they will disappear when the Panther gets painted

Paul
Last edited by seitz2c; Jun 16, 2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Spelling as usual
Old Jun 16, 2014, 07:54 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,738 Posts
man, thats looking great! i hope the wing portion in the inlet doesnt hurt performance too much
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:52 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
547 Posts
I think I'll be ok . I did two things to help the air flow I sanded a symmetrical shape where the wing passes through the duct and tapered the leading edge so the air hitting the leading edge will be forced to the inside. But how much turbulence this will cause I can only guess

Paul
Old Jun 19, 2014, 08:29 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
547 Posts
With the power system installed it's time to build the upper fuse. I started at the rear using fanfold bend and glue upper skin U8 in position then U7.

cut the vert. stab. from white picnic plate foam cut and hinge the rudder then glue in place MAKE SURE! you are 90 degrees to the wing.

route the rudder and elevator push pod housings out the aft fuse. and up the stab. hot glue both ends in place.I glued small blocks to the top of the intake to line them up with the servos. I am using glue wick tubing for the housing and .010 carbon fiber for the push rods.

Prebend the side pieces so you don't push the stab out of vertical. glue them in place and sand to shape
Last edited by seitz2c; Jun 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling as usual
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:38 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
547 Posts
The horizontal stab is huge on this bird slightly over 1/2 the wing span. I cut the horizontal stab from 3/8 blue foam. Cut the ele. and hinged them using econocoat. I added a .010 carbon thread for strength.

The vertical stab. is cut off flush with the side pieces. glue the horizontal stab. assembly to the top. scribe the piece of vertical stab to fit over the ele and reglue in place. A 3/8 notch is cut in the rudder the upper and lower rudder halves are connected using a piece of .010 music wire. a filler piece of blue foam is used to fill in the space. The rest of the tail assembly is then sheeted with blue foam on both sides and sanded to shape. the control rods are connected . and the tail is done. It's finally starting to look like a Panther

Paul