SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:01 PM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,465 Posts
New Product
"Fly Baby" Scale Airplane EPO 1400mm (PNF) by HobbyKing

This High Detail Scale Model has recenty been released by HobbyKing and it appears to be a truly versatile aircraft handling unprepared rough field operations with ease, with true Full Scale flying characteristics and perhaps also a photographic FPV mission role that is rapidly taking hold in this hobby...... which I am planning to adapt it for.

HobbyKing Daily - 1400mm PnF FlyBaby (1 min 34 sec)

There is very little more to do in the modification to improve this impressive new addition to the HobbyKing scale fleet, other than enhance the cockpit appearance in Pilot and Panel upgrade ( that is if you are not going to locate your FPV camera there) ......or change the colour scheme.....otherwise everything is there .....and without FLAPS ! ...... as it did not have any.

It is highly detailed with all the correct wire rigging on the top and bottom wing and also accurately copies the undercarriage of this 1962 introduced USA home built aircraft that DID NOT have a suspension system and relied on the large balloon type tyres for cushioning the landing impact.

The following indemnity warnings are listed on the outside of its packing box:

*This Plane is only for experienced and advanced pilots.
* Improper adjustments and usage will result in crashes and damage to the item.
* Experience is required prior to handling this product and can be obtained from practicing on easier RC planes, taking flight instructions, or practicing on computer flight simulator softwares.

The source of purchase is............

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_PNF_.html

Here is also some information on the history of the design of this aircraft by its creator, Peter M Bowers who passed away in 2003.

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/bowers/index.html

Any further dissusion is welcome here in this new thread, intended for the ownership PNP assembly, custom modification and flying of this "Classic" scale model.

HJ

"ADDENDUM"

OPERATIONAL NOTAM "AD"......... ASSEMBLY AND FLYING CRITICAL UPDATE

COG LOCATION STATED AS 80MM IN THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL IS INCORRECT..... IT SHOULD READ 60MM .......Please refer to page 8, Report 112 for a more up to date Airworthiness Directive (AD) on this matter. THERE HAS ALREADY BEEN ONE FAILED MAIDEN TAKEOFF ATTEMPT AND SUBSEQUENT W/O CRASH RESULTING FROM USING THE MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDED COG LOCATION
.....go to LINK BELOW

DO NOT "BLINDLY" FOLLOW THE VAGUE INSTRUCTIONS ON BATTERY LOCATION IN THE MANUAL BEFORE YOUR FIRST CHECK TEST FLIGHT ..... CALCULATE THE COG YOURSELF AS PER THE "AD" FOR A BALANCE LEVEL CONDITION AT YOUR PREFERED LOCATION IN THE FORWARD COG RANGE

...................http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1962256&page=8 ........... REPORT 112
Hondajet is online now Find More Posts by Hondajet
Last edited by Hondajet; Aug 17, 2013 at 01:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:25 PM
Joined Dec 2009
145 Posts
I would like to have one but shipping is 50.00 + dollars
flyinucrazy is offline Find More Posts by flyinucrazy
Old Jul 25, 2013, 02:16 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,465 Posts
Yes...mine is $39.00 to Australia on par with most kits from HK central......Aus Warehouse still to get them in , however HK add a little more to base cost to cover freight to that location.....all up the acquisition $ is about the same.....usually the availibity and thence delivery time determines my choice of options.

So around $190 AUD for me with our dollar still comparatively high against the USD !......however my intention is to use this model as a FPV scale platform replacing the absent pilot figure with a 360 pan/tilt servo camera. It appears to be ideally set up for that with the large open scale cockpit and good space inside the fuselage for associated equipment.....and the set up of that will cost more than this model if you want to go the "Fatshark" goggles way.

It would be interesting to know whether this RTF/ PNP has been designed for HobbyKing? or is it another manufacturer (as is ArtTech) that HK usually sells under their label as in their AT-6 Texan.

In any case Stuart's launch video above, and the high detail of finish looks quality, easily places it in the same high QA and finish detail category of the current Durafly range of models.

HJ
Last edited by Hondajet; Jul 25, 2013 at 02:26 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:08 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,465 Posts
Instrument Panel Detail Replacement

The cockpit setup is always needing room for up scaling in many models on the market today.

Images attached for a 2D setup or 3D actual photo if you want to go that way before adding a suitable 1960's recreational pilot.

Stuart from HK ...... can you update here on any spare parts listing for this model....and whether this is going to be available later?? There are a lot off springs etc and flying wires/springs that may need spares replacement....plus damaged U/C, cowl and windscreen incidents.

That may be a limiting factor to anyone thinking of getting this "Baby"

Also there are a few hardened balsa fliers out there that are not convinced of the EPO quality available in the kits being produced today.

I fly Scale in both types...and they are all very presentable and high detail models that are availble on the line for purchase nowdays.....as this one appears to be in its initial presentation and size from HK.

HJ
Last edited by Hondajet; Jul 26, 2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 06:49 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,766 Posts
For now this hobbyking model is just going to be available from the international w/h. Spares are not currently available but are being worked on

S.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Jul 26, 2013, 07:46 AM
United States, WI, Hudson
Joined Aug 2012
83 Posts
The Fly Baby was unsuccessful as a float plane. But it would make a cool model.
djgdjg is offline Find More Posts by djgdjg
Old Jul 26, 2013, 09:37 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart warne View Post
For now this hobbyking model is just going to be available from the international w/h. Spares are not currently available but are being worked on

S.

Thanks Stuart......and Welcome to here !!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:58 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,465 Posts
Now awaiting the "Storch" to announce the first delivery of this new "Fly Baby"......

I could not help that pun Stuart !!

HJ
Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:27 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
United States, WA, Everett
Joined May 2003
4,024 Posts
OK,... I ordered one. It was a spur of the moment decision. This is a very good looking EPO foamie. I'm not a foamie ARF type of person, but I figured I'd give it a try. Other than my EPP Eagle, I don't have a foamie ARF in my fleet. I guess I'm about due. So, I just now placed the order, we'll see how long it takes to get here (just north of Seattle Washington), and in what kind of condition it arrives. I've never ordered an airplane from Hobby King. It's going to be interesting.
Cost was $148 for the model, $56 shipping, $6 credit card fee = $210.
I figure if and when they get them in the USA warehouse, the price will go up anyway for their shipping so I might as well go for it.

Fred Guilfoyle
https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; Jul 30, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:27 PM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Step View Post
OK,... I ordered one. It was a spur of the moment decision. This is a very good looking EPO foamie. I'm not a foamie ARF type of person, but I figured I'd give it a try. Other than my EPP Eagle, I don't have a foamie ARF in my fleet. I guess I'm about due. So, I just now placed the order, we'll see how long it takes to get here (just north of Seattle Washington), and in what kind of condition it arrives. I've never ordered an airplane from Hobby King. It's going to be interesting.
Cost was $148 for the model, $56 shipping, $6 credit card fee = $210.
I figure if and when they get them in the USA warehouse, the price will go up anyway for their shipping so I might as well go for it.

Fred Guilfoyle
https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/

I did too ! .... and eta here about two weeks away ! ...and with the Aussie Dollar just about par , paid similar to you in postage and end amount.

You should find the build quality pretty good Fred and the EPO scale range has come a long way of recent to give a quality scale look....I hope! here too...... with experience from my recent acquisitions from them.

All the models coming out of the HK scale hangar recently.......with their association of the Durafly range ....are quality machines.......and their "Reps" Stuart and Scott are pretty spot on with their test flying in assessment of the current series of releases out of HobbyKing.

HJ (Louis)
Last edited by Hondajet; Jul 30, 2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2013, 12:08 AM
Joined Nov 2012
137 Posts
HJ.

I am getting real interested in trying FPV also.....what do you think about the fatshark predator system?

Dutch
dutchumb is offline Find More Posts by dutchumb
Old Aug 01, 2013, 02:39 AM
Learning to fly.......FAST!!
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh East
Joined Mar 2013
828 Posts
I eagerly await more updates on this thread. This is a nice looking plane!
RCWASP is offline Find More Posts by RCWASP
Old Aug 01, 2013, 04:17 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchumb View Post
HJ.

I am getting real interested in trying FPV also.....what do you think about the fatshark predator system?

Dutch

I am also very Ab Initio into this FPV thing as well Dutch !...... and luckily have Monjon868 and Matty12 with me at my location to help out on these matters and the eventual fit out of the "Baby".

Matty12 has quite a bit of sophistication on his Bixler......he uses a 2nd hand early model Fatshark and has his own camera setup and Arduflyer flight stabilization autopilot and associated telemetery and GPS which I eventually want to get on my rig.

The idea is when learning FPV, you fly normal RC first in a normal take off and climb to a cruise altitude....then you flick the autopilot on and let the machine just cruise around you in circles at about 100 metres altitude.

You are then free to set up your FPV goggles etc to put on and watch through the screen while it is still flying on auto pilot around you

Once you have settled into the view through the goggles......you flick the switch on your Tx and start flying ! ......with always the back up of autopilot and then back to normal visual RC if you are having difficulty there.

The Take offs and landings on FPV can be practised later on once you are used to that basic flying and orientation.

The Fatshark combo with camera and transmission equipment that HobbyKing are selling as an intro to this style of sport flying is apparently not up to quality as far as the supplied camera is.....looking as some U tube demos and feedback on performance. The Goggles might be ok ......but it is the telemetery etc that feed them is where you get the good results.

So it looks like I will be asking Matty12 some advice there to choose individual items to set my system up like he has done.

It is really fantastic....because you can have a HUD with your GS / ALT / HDG and Return to Base Direction (ADF) with with distance away (DME) equipment. .....all in front of you as you fly.....also a Tilt / Pan camera with 360 rotation around you (imagine that in the FlyBaby empty cockpit instead of the dummy pilot figure )......then go for the head tracking accessory and you are really set up to have some relatively cheap recreational flying fun........

If you fly PPL 1:1 as I do....with one hours flying and hire of an aircraft now ($200-300 plus landing fees) .....you can buy one of these FPV setups for that with all the fun equipment....and it is yours to keep too!..... and the next time you fly for recreation it is FREE !

HJ
Last edited by Hondajet; Aug 07, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2013, 08:14 AM
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Feb 2013
1,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchumb View Post
HJ.

Dutch
Hey Dutch, the Predators are the budget fatshark system but there's nothing wrong with that. It's a good easy way to get in the air and everyone needs to start somewhere.

There's a large FPV community on this forum and a lot of information on starting out in FPV in the remote piloting forum. Here's a start;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1964244

Good luck!
Matty12 is offline Find More Posts by Matty12
Old Aug 01, 2013, 08:50 AM
Joined Nov 2012
137 Posts
Awesome ... thanks for the info guys..
dutchumb is offline Find More Posts by dutchumb