SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:58 AM
Joined Mar 2011
70 Posts
Discussion
Hangar 9 corsair

Hi guys- just bought a Hangar 9 corsair 60 size. I plan on putting the DLE20 engine in it. Looking at the manual, the servos are mounted at the back of the fuse externally. Was just thinking that it would look better with internal servos in the normal position i.e middle of the fuse. I cant see any threads regarding this- so has anyone else tried?
Only bonus of mounting them at the back would be to balance the DLE20 up front. But I think most people would agree an internal pull/pull for rudder and a normal rod for elevators would look better.
CaptainMorgan is offline Find More Posts by CaptainMorgan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:32 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
652 Posts
Mine has a DLE 20 and all servos are mounted per the design. Flies great, need no weight to balance, and the engine runs well on a MA 16x8x3.
Lifer is offline Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:22 AM
Joined Mar 2011
70 Posts
Thanks lifer- so far looks like I'll need to glass the nose section and somehow strengthen the wing area around the retract bays- is this what you did? Thanks for the prop suggestion- will order a couple of those too- after I've run in the engine.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:49 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
652 Posts
I didn't glass the nose but I did add epoxy to the firewall area. I used 2 hour epoxy and stored it nose-down to cure. Not a flood, but enough that all was wet. Didn't reinforce the retract area but the vertical stabilizer came loose so I removed the rudder servo and added glue to the ruddder-fuselage joint from the inside. I did add a 1/8th inch spacer to the rear retract mounts to rake the gear forward. I fly on grass so most of my planes have this done. Balance per plans and fly it on low rates. Too much elevator tends to get warbirds into trouble. Also, the stock muffler was used and it fit just fine.

Enjoy the plane!
Lifer is offline Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:31 AM
Joined Jul 2006
99 Posts
redesign that area with a servo mounted inside on a screw on panel like we do on the bottom of the wing for the aileron servos.. Just a thought .
Terry Bolin is offline Find More Posts by Terry Bolin
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:53 AM
Joined Mar 2011
70 Posts
One of the reasons for this build was to get a gas engine and the guys at the club use a lot of DLE20 and 30 engines. The sound from them is awsome- and I thought a warbird would be great. But here I am waiting for the "big box" to be delivered and looking at the reports on the internet suggest this hangar 9 corsair is a pile of c#*p- seems that apart from the firewall issues, the wing is weak around the retract area and the retracts are rubbish- a new decent set of retracts could set me back the cost of the plane again! I'm wondering if I should put an old sc91 four stroke I have lying around and use the DLE20 in another - better build bird. Feeling rather dispondent now about the whole affair.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:56 AM
Joined Mar 2011
70 Posts
Now I hear the hangar 9 corsair 60 size is DISCONTINUED - could it be due to build issues?????????? this may have been a costly mistake- and its not even been delivered yet!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:23 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,236 Posts
Step back from the keyboard and take a few slow deep breaths

Mention any make / model here and some one will find fault with it. Yet hundreds are sold and flown. Models are discontinued all the time, partially so we can be tempted to buy the newest model. I myself am flying 2 discontinued models right now. Both are relatively inexpensive gas ARFs and both fly great. Take note of what you read and address any construction issues you know about in the assembly.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:30 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan View Post
Now I hear the hangar 9 corsair 60 size is DISCONTINUED - could it be due to build issues?????????? this may have been a costly mistake- and its not even been delivered yet!!!!!!!!!
From what I remember the 60 size H9 Corsair was discontinued last year about this time. It was right around the release of the 50 size Corsair. Now that I think about it the 50 size didn't hit the shelves till early July so it may have been the beginning of summer when they dropped the 60 size. As far as I know the reason for dropping the 60 was to push the new 50 size with the electric retracts and the battery hatch. The only complaint I have ever heard about the H9 60 size was dealing with the retracts.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:48 PM
Joined Mar 2011
70 Posts
Well the corsair has been delivered and I've taken a look. It's actually a really nice looking plane. The areas of structual concearn i.e the wing around the retract area and the cowl area are both easily accessible and getting some fibreglass in should be easy. Its a shame about the retracts- but lets see what the standard ones are like. I still plan on using the sc91 four stroke rather than a new DLE20. Thanks for the calming words- I'm feeling a little more up-beat about it now- it really does look a lovely model.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:34 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,316 Posts
I had the h9 .60 size, the retracts are fine. Never had an issue w them even on my p40. Make sure there is no toe in or out, your servo arm is the correct length and you put a little jb weld between the turnbuckle so those wheel collars don't move. They never gave me a single issue. Sold the planes but they are still holding up! Don't forget to reinforce the firewall, had mine pull out on the maiden with just a .91 fs.
helifann is offline Find More Posts by helifann
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:07 AM
Too windy to fly? Lets surf
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2008
526 Posts
Captain,
The DLE 20 is good choice but reinforce the firewall area as much as you can with triangle stock, glass, etc.

Its a great flier, I painted mine and looks fantastic.

Huge thread with many details: RCU thread
w1nd6urfa is offline Find More Posts by w1nd6urfa
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:40 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,959 Posts
I also have one and it's about 4 years old. Yes, definately reinforce the firewall, I wrapped mine with glass while I had the covering off. Maybe strengthen the gear depending on whether you fly off grass or pavement. I fly off grass and they have not broke out. The plastic rotation coupling does pop off but thats better than something breaking. I don't have a photo of it but it has been recovered in the old FG-1 racing scheme. Mine is running a RCGF 20cc with a 16x8-3blade. Wonderful plane, I actually like it better than my TFGS version.
ace4rc is offline Find More Posts by ace4rc
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:06 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1nd6urfa View Post
Captain,
The DLE 20 is good choice but reinforce the firewall area as much as you can with triangle stock, glass, etc.

Its a great flier, I painted mine and looks fantastic.

Huge thread with many details: RCU thread
Agree 100% mine pulled out in the air w a magnum .91 fs
helifann is offline Find More Posts by helifann
Old Nov 12, 2014, 06:51 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,453 Posts
Any tips on removing the markings from the covering without removing the covering? I have a Marine Korean War scheme I want to do.
Thanks
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale