SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Would you like to see this new forum created?
Yes 97 90.65%
N0 10 9.35%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:17 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
842 Posts
I like the name as is. This is about a place for wood builders to go to. Foam already has their own building section. Nothing wrong with that at all but this needs to focus on what the title says IMHO.

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:01 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
I would say to make it a scratch build forum for all types of planes. There are many build logs that are placed in the categories that they best fit. (Sailplane, Gas, Electric etc.) Scratch builds don't have a home of their own and since building is building no matter what the type of plane, I feel it's fitting they have a home of their own.

BTW.... If I'm not mistaken, the longest running thread with the most posts on the entire site is the "I'm getting a woodie" thread in the Thermal section. 1606 days and 10,688 posts so far and still going strong. It's like a home away from home for some of us and there's a lot of good tips and tricks in it.
Uh, I think the BluBaby thread (the quintessential scratchbuilt foamie) tops that at 1977 days, 18,828 posts & 1,774,377 views. But that said, a clearer named forum for traditional scratch builders is a good idea. It will keep all the foamie riffraff away (well, most of us.....). We see the "builder's" and browse in only to find the forum is mostly for wood guys; although some nice tips have been discovered here. So what would you do with this forum? Rename?
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OneSheeter#17 OSC140 debut
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:11 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, OK, Henryetta
Joined Nov 2005
25,303 Posts
Wow, great turnout so far!

Who wants to bet it will fail though. We'll get a ton of "no" votes soon enough and it will put it below the 75% approval limit for the new forum.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:03 AM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
So what is the building section going to be needed for in the end? There are build logs and the like in all the various plane sections (thermal glider, slope, DSetc), as well as the foam forum,composites forum etc. I'm not set on one particular style, I like all and use all in most builds, so to me I like the idea of a forum that covers lots of different building styles, rather than having to post question for one part in this forum, the fibreglass question in the composite forum, the foam question in that forum etc.

I havn't voted yet, thought I would get flamed from you all first!
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:41 AM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Whats in a name, I just wanted to keep all of the builds in one spot. My vote is in.
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:15 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,303 Posts
True. I don't care what its called as long we can have a place specific for building model airplanes where it's purpose is to focus on building and not all the other stuff we already see on the other forums.

Shoot, we already got 40 plus build threads we can put into the new forum right now.

Frank
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:48 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Pukekohe
Joined Apr 2011
246 Posts
I'm a yes. It would be great to find plans and information in the one forum rather than having to sift through thousands of forums.
awkward is offline Find More Posts by awkward
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:06 AM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Aaaah, so its not for all the little wood building questions, its pretty much intended to be a place just for the build logs and plans etc, and the "how do I....../what is good ........" type questions will still be in here-Does that sound correct?
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:15 AM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
Sounds correct to me. I don't really see it staying that way but it is a good thought. I can also see it not being used as much as you might think, glider guys still posting build logs under sailplanes for example.
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:59 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberZogster View Post
Sounds correct to me. I don't really see it staying that way but it is a good thought. I can also see it not being used as much as you might think, glider guys still posting build logs under sailplanes for example.
Yup, I don't see that changing and I hope not. If I am going to be looking for how-tos on my bird of time, I still want to look for that in the glider section. There are forum specific areas that will not be effected by this new forum if it happens.

Frank
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:17 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,979 Posts
I don't see anything in the title that describes a specific type of model..That was the general idea.
If the majority of the model,ready to fly,is wood,that's what the forum would describe.
The forum would be a lot like visiting Hobby Shops ....You go there for a specific item.
RCGroups is the Hobby Shop,the forum is your section of interest-balsa and lite ply,scratch and kit builds.
Murocflyer-no's are to be expected.it's how things are done....

An unsuccessful vote won't stop the builds,certainly...They'll be posted somewhere...If the majority of voters think think this is where they should be grouped,then admin. has supplied the tools to do so...
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:20 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
For what possible reason would a person vote NO? Like I asked earlier, if your not interested in the methods used to build in the traditional way, why would you have enough interest to vote NO? Voting NO has to carry some other motive than lack of interest, like I'll vote no because it's mostly older guys who build this way and I hate old people!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:41 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
For what possible reason would a person vote NO? Like I asked earlier, if your not interested in the methods used to build in the traditional way, why would you have enough interest to vote NO? Voting NO has to carry some other motive than lack of interest, like I'll vote no because it's mostly older guys who build this way and I hate old people!
There have been valid reasons presented in the original discussions on why to vote no.
Some motives are fuzzy,some contradict what the admin has supplied the options for,and some are against change.
We're getting a fair shake -play your cards....
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:18 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
Well I was going to abstain but since you're already getting into insulting anyone who disagrees with you then I'm off to vote as I initially thought....which was no thanks.

And that's not because I hate people who use wood (I am one) it's because I think RCG already has far too many forums which contain a few things I'm potentially interested in. They're already spread about all over the place and having yet another forum for people to try to decide if that's the right place to post their thread is IMO a bad idea. Just dilutes things further and makes anything specific even harder to find.

There are certain types of model I'm interested in and other types in which I have no interest. But the difference between them is not just what materials they're made of .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:21 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberZogster View Post
I agree, groups is set up by types, and that having been established won't change. So the new forum will be for wood planes that don't fit into the other types? Maybe just a rename for this forum to focus on the traditional build aspect.
Personally, I really like the way the foamies-scratchbuilt forum has evolved. It's all about foamies; and scratch builds (depending on your definition...) Captures all the genres: trainers, indoor, giant, jets, old timers, warbirds, profile,full fuse, fantasy, scale, etc. Contains threads on build tips and build guide threads. And it's in a single forum, so the critical mass of seekers and helpers is always there. The first page pretty much always has a noob first post question, and it's got an answer within minutes.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OneSheeter#17 OSC140 debut
Closed Thread