HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by hammer22, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 23, 2012, 07:14 PM
United States, NH, Exeter
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
Trader Rating: 25
Sold
DSM2/DSMX compatible transmitter module for JR radio

I am selling a custom made 100% DSM2/DSMX compatible transmitter module for use with JR transmitters. This module is 100% completely DSM2 and DSMX compatible and is able to transmit in either the original DSM2 protocol or in the new frequency hopping DSMX protocol!! Yes, you read correctly; it can transmit in DSMX mode!! Switching between modes is quick and easy using the transmitter throttle stick and the bind button on the module. I am asking $85 shipped to CONUS. I will ship internationally for $10 via USPS first class mail.

Disclaimer: This is not a Spektrum brand module and, except for the plastic case/antenna, does not contain any Horizon Hobby or Spektrum parts.This module is custom designed with custom firmware and built using a 2.4GHz RF module based on the proven Cypress CYRF6936 2.4GHz DSSS radio chip, the same RF chip used all Spektrum radio equipment. This same RF module is used by another popular RC radio equipment manufacturer in their FCC certified transmitters.

This module is a proprietary design, hand made, using only high quality components and thoroughly tested.

This module is 100% functionally equivalent to the popular Spektrum DM9 module and just like the original Spektrum DM9 module, it converts your JR brand (or some others) module based transmitter to DSM2. But this module has the added ability to transmit in DSMX mode too!

This is a full range module with an average RF output power level of +20dBm.

In addition, this module is ideal for anyone looking to convert their non-JR brand transmitter to DSM2/DSMX. This module will work with any polarity of PPM signal input and will accept from 1 to 9 channels. It comes configured JR channel order (T.A.E.R.) but can be changed to Futaba (A.E.T.R.) or Multiplex (A.E.R.T.) channel order by changing jumpers on the circuit board. That means you can convert a Futaba transmitter for use with the popular Bind-N-Fly micro aircraft without worrying about the servo channels being in the wrong order. The elevator stick will correctly control the elevator, same for the throttle, ailerons and rudder. Other radio manufacturers channel order can be substituted upon request.

The firmware in this module has been extensively tested with a wide variety of DSM2/DSMX Spektrum receivers including the AR6400 micro brick RX used in the popular Eflite, Parkzone and Blade line of micro aircraft and helicopters, AR7000, AR6110, AR9000, AR6210 and HK Orange receiver. It performs every bit as well as the original DM9.

Key Features:
- Protocol - DSM2 or DSMX mode.
- Easy to switch between modes using throttle stick and bind button.
- Compatible with any DSM2 or DSMX receiver, including DSM2/DSMX Bind-N-Fly micro aircraft and helicopters and the Hobby King line of Orange DSM2 compatible receivers.
- Accepts any polarity PPM signal with servo pulse lengths between 0.8ms and 2.2ms. Module will limit out of range servo pulses to these values.
- Resolution - DSM2 - 10 bit. DSMX - 11 bit.
- Works with any transmitter that outputs a standard PPM signal from 1 to 9 channels.
- Maximum number of channels transmitted: DSM2 mode: 9 channels. DSMX mode: 7 channels.
- RF output power: +20dBm.
- Power input voltage range: 5 - 15 volts.
- PPM signal voltage: 5V to 12V
- Exact fit JR transmitter case for correct fit in JR module based transmitters.
- Informative status LED that does more than just tell you if power is on.
- 14 day money back return policy if not satisfied.
hammer22 is offline Find More Posts by hammer22
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 08:30 PM
United States, NH, Suncook
Joined Oct 2010
529 Posts
Trader Rating: 143
pm sent
sagomon is offline Find More Posts by sagomon
Old May 23, 2012, 09:40 PM
A Snickering Hound
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jan 2012
210 Posts
Trader Rating: 31
Jumping in line
Muddie is offline Find More Posts by Muddie
Old May 23, 2012, 09:51 PM
United States, NY, Patchogue
Joined May 2012
25 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Have you got more than one? I would very much like one as well.
vespizzari is offline Find More Posts by vespizzari
Old May 23, 2012, 11:32 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,060 Posts
Trader Rating: 20
price?
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old May 24, 2012, 12:31 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,005 Posts
Trader Rating: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
price?
It's in the ad - might've been a bit buried. $85 shipped.
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2012, 02:45 AM
1+1=11 DUH
United States, CO, Franktown
Joined May 2009
13 Posts
Trader Rating: 46
Hello i have 3 jr 10 x radios and i have been wanting to convert one to 2.4 this looks like it might be the way to go? Any thoughts as to what else is needed or are we good to go with this unit and any jr and spectrum or hobby king recievers in 2 or x fashion. Thank you . It seems to me that you are confident in your product and look to have a good product. I just don t want to loose a nice bird. Should i feel confident in this purchase?
FLYBABE is offline Find More Posts by FLYBABE
Old May 24, 2012, 06:12 AM
United States, NH, Portsmouth
Joined Feb 2008
14 Posts
Trader Rating: 191
module

Very nice and complete module.
nero1156 is online now Find More Posts by nero1156
Old May 24, 2012, 06:23 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,060 Posts
Trader Rating: 20
I'll think on it. I have a DX6i I might swap for an aurora 9....this would be perfect.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old May 24, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Jul 2009
77 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
this does seem ideal compared to the original dm9 module... however one question nags at me... does the dsmx portion of this module support more than 6 channels? because of all the mods where people build modules from the 2.4 module out of a dx4e or whatever, they still only support up to 6 channels max from what i have read. can you tell us if this will support more than 6 channels in dsmx mode? preferably with video if possible?
avirnig is offline Find More Posts by avirnig
Old May 24, 2012, 06:58 PM
United States, NH, Suncook
Joined Oct 2010
529 Posts
Trader Rating: 143
description say 9 ch in dsm2 and 7 in dsmx
sagomon is offline Find More Posts by sagomon
Old May 24, 2012, 10:10 PM
United States, NH, Exeter
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
Trader Rating: 25
Wow,
I didn't think I would get so many questions in such a short amount of time. I'll try and answer them as best I can in order.

But first, I have a solid buy offer from ROYLAB and this module is his pending payment. I have a second module completed and it will go to Sogomon should he commit to buy. I will be making 3 more of these very soon. Please PM me if you want one.

Sagomon,
I am building these myself using home-made PCBs using a quality photo-etch process, . While I have not tested the absolute limit of line-of-site range, I can tell you that I have flown aircraft approximately 1000' away and had solid control the whole time. The modules RF power of +20dbm is a conservative rating and is based on the known average output power of the CYRF6936 chip and the known average gain from the RF amp. Real Spektrum RF modules range from +18dbm to +23dbm so mine is in the middle of that range. There should not be much of a difference in range between DSM2 and DSMX mode.

FLYBABE,
Nothing else is needed except this module to convert your TX to DSM2 or DSMX. I have been flying 2 incarnations of this module since last year with excellent results. The core DSM2/DSMX code is solid. I have flown:
Parkzone Vapor (DSM2)
28" foamy biplane with a AR6110 RX (DSM2),
Parkzone Typhoon II 3D with both an AR500 (DSM2) and AR6210 (in both DSM2 and DSMX modes)
an 80" SIG Kadet SR with an AR7000 (DSM2)

Solid control with everything. But, as with any radio system, do a ground range test before flight. If you have doubts about the ground range test, send it back, I'll refund your money. I trust it enough that I sold my real DM9 module quite a while ago.

Avirnig,
Yes, 9 channels in DSM2 mode, 7 with DSMX. The reason for the 7 channel limit on DSMX is that I am still working on the protocol. But the 7 channel version of the protocol is solid.

Couple of additional things I'll mention:
When I have the full 9 channel version of DSMX ready, I'll re-flash, for free, anyone's module who wants it.

Also,
Every module has a unique DSMX frequency hopping pattern, just like the real Spektrum stuff. I am not selling modules all with the same hopping pattern.

I've been meaning to get some video to show the module working but time has been limited. But, I'm on vacation next week so I'll make an effort.

I am a bit embarrassed by the photos of the PCB. That was not my best work but every solder joint is solid.

Please keep the questions coming.
hammer22 is offline Find More Posts by hammer22
Last edited by hammer22; May 24, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
Closed Thread