HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:38 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Bake View Post
Got the 9xr today. Was worried with all the bad reports around here but coming from a stock turnigy 9x I can say I am very happy. No sticky buttons, no squeeky gimbles all works fine. I do agree though that the soft buttons are not the best but I can live with them no probs and I don't find them as bad as there made out to be. Just trying to get used too menu's that acually make sense lol.
What's your current climate? Warm or cold?

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:46 AM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, High Wycombe
Joined Mar 2001
4,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Here is someone else who has done a vid on fixing the sticking buttons when cold but Im sure there is a simple way of running a scalpel through the slit at the edge of the glass area. Hasnt affected me yet but its summer here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV7Z0...ature=youtu.be
This mod takes 5 minutes easy fix plus I secured the flexing elevator gimbal plug with a dab of hot glue.

ThanksChris
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:06 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
Potatoes are indeed an awesome vegetable, and it's worth stressing.

I've had my 9XR a few days, ordered xmas eve, but the HK 1500 mAh LiFe took an extra few days to come. It all seems to work well so far. It's my first radio so I can't really compare it to anything meaningful.

The Exit button was sticking, but after I took the back off to lubricate the gimbals it cleared up, so that's OK now. I guess it's a case alignment thing in this instance, or maybe the button wasn't seated properly.

First use will be with Phoenix Flight Sim, learning CP helicopter. I'm working on the TX profile, 90% of the way there. Struggling slightly with implementing idle up because it's all new to me. While I practice I'll be waiting for the custom DSMX/2 module (I assume it's more than a rumour) before I get a physical helicopter.

Overall I'm very satisfied, for the price. Quality isn't massively high, but it's not too bad at all.

Not the most interesting post in the world, I admit, but I did say upthread that I'd report when I got it.
Thwock is offline Find More Posts by Thwock
Last edited by Thwock; Jan 17, 2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:22 PM
Lets make it remote control!!!
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
have a question i have the 9xr waiting on frsky module to arrive but want to flash with the open firmware. do i need to save the stock firmware before i do if something happens or just dont like it? if so could someone explain?i have companion9x installed and the firmware loaded into it
abletowinginc is offline Find More Posts by abletowinginc
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:43 PM
United States, CA, Rio Vista
Joined Feb 2012
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abletowinginc View Post
have a question i have the 9xr waiting on frsky module to arrive but want to flash with the open firmware. do i need to save the stock firmware before i do if something happens or just dont like it? if so could someone explain?i have companion9x installed and the firmware loaded into it
Not worth saving the original, just use eepe to upgrade to current er9x. Then you will be able to use eepe to setup models. If you have a bunch of models already setup on stock firmware/flash you will probably have to redo them.

Just my2cents worth....and worth what you paid for it.
OldDmbThms is offline Find More Posts by OldDmbThms
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:45 PM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDmbThms View Post
Not worth saving the original, just use eepe to upgrade to current er9x. Then you will be able to use eepe to setup models. If you have a bunch of models already setup on stock firmware/flash you will probably have to redo them.

Just my2cents worth....and worth what you paid for it.
Just my2cents worth....and worth what you paid for it FREE i like free lol

you prefer er9x over open? seems like open has more options
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:47 PM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
oh and the modue doesnt have to be in it to flash correct? cant see why it would matter but better to ask
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:48 PM
Goneflying
Joined Jun 2010
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
You are fine. That is the ground pin, and its soldered to the ground plane.

It looks kind of jacked up though. Somebody modified it, or broke it and fixed it.....or not, did you test it?
I had to scrape off the gobs of glue to get to the board & I think the the guy that had it 1st started cutting away at the board to make it fit. I think I will have to cut away some more of the board also because theres no way I can get it to connect to the radio pins.

If I do this I will be removing the solder overflow. Will this mess it up. Heres a pic showing where I have to remove. thx
Masterofbizaster is offline Find More Posts by Masterofbizaster
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:48 PM
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
You do not need to save the firmware. It is available via a download in the forum if you (against all odds) should feel the need to reload it.
If you want to retain models you should look out for a selecting box in the burn dialog that says something like "backup and restore". If you choose to do so the models will be converted for you and loaded back to your transmitter
dvogonen is online now Find More Posts by dvogonen
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:32 PM
United States, CA, Rio Vista
Joined Feb 2012
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogonen View Post
You do not need to save the firmware. It is available via a download in the forum if you (against all odds) should feel the need to reload it.
If you want to retain models you should look out for a selecting box in the burn dialog that says something like "backup and restore". If you choose to do so the models will be converted for you and loaded back to your transmitter
It is difficult for me to see why anyone would want to go back to original.
But to each his own.

No module needed to flash the Tx.

Open9x vs er9x. More options sounds good, only if you are good enough to use them all. I(P.S., I'm not....yet) I have one 9x tx with a skynorth board....for it Open9x is my firmware of choice. Voice and micro DS carcd support are big winners there.

For a stock TX...its back to to each his own....very subjective. try them both and see!

If you are into telemetry, I havent a clue.
OldDmbThms is offline Find More Posts by OldDmbThms
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:55 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highflydreamer View Post
I had to scrape off the gobs of glue to get to the board & I think the the guy that had it 1st started cutting away at the board to make it fit. I think I will have to cut away some more of the board also because theres no way I can get it to connect to the radio pins.

If I do this I will be removing the solder overflow. Will this mess it up. Heres a pic showing where I have to remove. thx
Yes, If you remove the blob it may not work. Im not sure if the pin is connected to the ground plane on the other side. I think it is a single sided PCB though, so it wouldnt be connected on the bottom side anyway.

The solder blob is obviously a repair from when he trimmed the board. It looks like he disconnected the ground plane that runs to the upper portion of the board when he cut it, so he placed the blob to reconnect it.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:10 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Just my2cents worth....and worth what you paid for it FREE i like free lol

you prefer er9x over open? seems like open has more options
Open9X is my preference. It is a bit more polished, and it runs faster. A model with the same mixes/setup etc. will run twice as fast as on ER9X. I had a basic 4 channel setup, identical on each. The Tmix max on ER9X was 4.34ms, and 2.38ms on Open9X.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:58 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2012
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
Open9X is my preference. It is a bit more polished, and it runs faster. A model with the same mixes/setup etc. will run twice as fast as on ER9X. I had a basic 4 channel setup, identical on each. The Tmix max on ER9X was 4.34ms, and 2.38ms on Open9X.
For open9x you require companion 9x though Right? Eepe won't do it (since you have to agglomerate options) or am I incorrect?
Michael V is offline Find More Posts by Michael V
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:20 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,268 Posts
Quote:
oh and the modue doesnt have to be in it to flash correct? cant see why it would matter but better to ask
that's right. the Tx needs to be powered on.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:24 PM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
ok another since you guys are so knowledgable whats required to upgrade to have the tx speak values that ive seen on you tube