HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:50 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
Discussion
Any Raptor 30 or 50 Gassers Yet ?

I'm not finding anything but daydreams about Raptor 30 or 50 gassers, but lots on 60/90 gassers. Maybe no gasser motor that small can keep up with a glow ?
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:07 PM
Build & Fly like 2days ur last
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jun 2006
315 Posts
i will join the dream. i am going to gas only planes and what to do the same for my helicopter. i love my raptor 50. it started as an SE converted to titan and flies great. i hope someone here knows something i would love to make this change.

crazy
crazy3dpilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy3dpilot
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:48 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
It may be possible to fly a 50 gasser on a 15cc, it would most likely take a whole new frame, nothing big. I would also think only mild aerobatics, unless maybe some additives pep it up. Then it will cost more for fuel but still much cheaper than $25 to $35 a gallon.
I heard talk that there are two producers of glow fuel. Maybe time to start that glow to gas engine conversion. Hobby People was working on a Magnum glow to gasoline conversion, I think a 60 size. The project has been stalled over a year now.
I wish they would get it on.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...rc-engine.html
Last edited by Chophop; Jul 23, 2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 03:20 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,381 Posts
The Century G20 is not much bigger than a Raptor 50. I think it is much better to start with a helicopter designed for gas, unless you like a project. The Raptor 60/90, and the Trex 600 have gas conversion kits out for them. I have not seen one for the 50.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:06 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
The Century G20 is not much bigger than a Raptor 50. I think it is much better to start with a helicopter designed for gas, unless you like a project. The Raptor 60/90, and the Trex 600 have gas conversion kits out for them. I have not seen one for the 50.
+1 as I and two other club mates are having a lot of fun with our G-20 gassers. I also believe, if you want to get a gasser, that you get one specifically designed for it.

IMHO, you are better off to sell your nitro and to apply those funds to getting a proper gasser.

I found the difference in cost to be about the same as what it would have been for a conversion, but now had a clutch system that was designed to take the extra torque of the gasser engine and a frame set that was better designed to take the extra amplitude of the vibrations of a gas engine.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:24 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
It would be a nice winter project to make the conversion. The Trex 600 may be a good platform. It shouldn't be that hard to me to make a complete frame, I have enough industrial automation engineering experience. Actually , a light duty job.
Last edited by Chophop; Jul 25, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:44 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,511 Posts
There is a very nice Trex 600 conversion kit from HWC coming out within the next few weeks at Century Heli. http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...&currentid=844 . Its really well engineered and comes complete with a gasser clutch and cooling fan system. I'm going to get one to convert my Nitro Pro.

If you don't already have a Trex 600 Nitro I'm not sure its cost effective though.

At which point I would like to add another vote for the Century Radikal G20. I like mine as well.

In either case, if your an ultimate 3D god, neither gasser solution will satisfy you. You can 3D them but they are heavier and not as nimble. In this case your best bet to get out of nitro would be to go electric.

Mike
CryHavoc is online now Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:54 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
I don't do anything that needs a lot of vertical thrust, only a fast cyclic for flips and rolls. I have not even flown inverted but for a very short instant yet. The idea is I can step out and fly it in about anything but a thunderstorm or tornado without even noticing any wind, and no runway needed. There are weeks or sometines two months here in Ohio when light wingloaded model planes can't be flown.

I'll be out most every day and nitro would be out of the question at $25/gal. Sorry to go against the grain on that one but do consider keeping a nitro heli for the snappy stuff.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:26 PM
Joined Apr 2000
1,511 Posts
If you can't fly sustained inverted then your hardly a 3D guy so you'll be plenty happy with a gasser. Go to Youtube or RunRyder and search the videos. Gassers are plenty aerobatic and 3D'able, you just can't judge 'em up against a lighter nitro ship.

Keep a Nitro ship if you want but I'm done. No more nitro for me. The thing that did it for me was not so much the mess and fuss and cost of the glow fuel but the rising cost of the engines. To get the latest and greatest 55 class set-up you'll have to spend about $300 on an engine and $80-$125 for the best pipes. NO EFFING WAY for me. Sure you can find a deal or a blow-out price once in a while but double the cost of the engine/pipe than it was a couple years ago..... NOPE. Tower/Hobbico wants about $465.00 for the latest OS .55 DRS and OS pipe. I simply refuse to do it when there are so many other options these days.

Mike
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:29 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
Seems like .60's were around $100 a short time ago. Really shocking, this inflation.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:44 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
The G20 does look like a better idea, just that parts are going to be less available than a Trex 600. And I was also considering an HK600 for the basic parts then make my own frame, a cheaper option than either.
When I get bored this winter I may give in. But if a good deal comes up on a used gasser, I may jump on that.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:14 AM
Joined Dec 2007
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc View Post
If you don't already have a Trex 600 Nitro I'm not sure its cost effective though.

At which point I would like to add another vote for the Century Radikal G20. I like mine as well.

Mike
I agree, as I love my G20 and took the root of selling my nitro 50 and using the money towards the purchase of the Radikal. It may not have the 3D pop of my nitro, but still does some pretty impressive 3D.

Now for the Rad G-30.
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:40 AM
Joined Apr 2000
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
The G20 does look like a better idea, just that parts are going to be less available than a Trex 600. And I was also considering an HK600 for the basic parts then make my own frame, a cheaper option than either.
When I get bored this winter I may give in. But if a good deal comes up on a used gasser, I may jump on that.
Good point about parts availability. Here's the Helibug Trex600 conversion that uses a lot more Align specific parts. http://www.helibug.com/HB6-RCT.htm . A lot of guys are happy with this kit but I personally think it looks heavy and bulky. It uses the RC versions of the Zenoah engines which work well but are only designed as a "unit". The fan, cooling shroud and all are built in so you have to design around all that. They run good though.

I also heard that this kit is more of a "tinkerers" kit. A lot of little details are left up to the builder to decide how to complete.

To each his own I suppose but it is an option along the lines you were thinking.

Mike
Last edited by CryHavoc; Jul 26, 2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:14 AM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
Looks like lots of "extra parts" to those conversions. I see it's a bother to convert, and yes, maybe this winter will end with me having a few 80 inch planes and 50 to 90 heli's. My tiny little 450 can fly in winds I wouldn't try to land any of my planes in. So I need to do the heli first so I don't sadly stare out for weeks at the winter winds.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:19 PM
Joined Apr 2000
1,511 Posts
That's what I like about San Diego..... Every day is a flying day

Mike