HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2014, 08:38 PM
Joined Oct 2014
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencese View Post
See the screenshot of what I am getting in SETUP. The GPGSA is switching between a few different things but at 5 Hz it was a bit hard to get it all. Does this look correct? I wasn't able to actually put it on the drone today because it was snowing all day.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ibjfc0.png
So I got rid of the other messages and now it won't even show up on SETUP with the miruMod. It says it has a fix and everything. I checked all the connections they seem good and aren't shorted. Is there some place I can check on the board itself to see if something is shorted/grounded?

The TX pin on MiruMod is at ~5 V and the RX pin on the MiruMod is alternating between ~2.9 V & ~3.1 V.

Shouldn't it show up on the mod regardless of transmission issues? (In red, as it did before for me).

Any ideas? Thanks guys! Hope I didn't mess up the PCB itself. All the other controls work fine.
lawrencese is offline Find More Posts by lawrencese
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2014, 09:19 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,305 Posts
Quote:
So I got rid of the other messages and now it won't even show up on SETUP with the miruMod. It says it has a fix and everything. I checked all the connections they seem good and aren't shorted. Is there some place I can check on the board itself to see if something is shorted/grounded?

The TX pin on MiruMod is at ~5 V and the RX pin on the MiruMod is alternating between ~2.9 V & ~3.1 V.

Shouldn't it show up on the mod regardless of transmission issues? (In red, as it did before for me).

Any ideas? Thanks guys! Hope I didn't mess up the PCB itself. All the other controls work fine.
If no GPS message nor an error message shows up in SETUP the mod does not receive anything, which would be the GRX input. But you are seeing a decent voltage on that, could it be that the baudrate is not right?
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Old Nov 20, 2014, 09:37 PM
Joined Oct 2014
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
If no GPS message nor an error message shows up in SETUP the mod does not receive anything, which would be the GRX input. But you are seeing a decent voltage on that, could it be that the baudrate is not right?
I can check the baudrate again. However, it was communicating at 38400. Can I connect an FTDI while all the GPS connections are soldered to the PCB? Would this hurt the PCB in any way? I don't really want to have to desolder everything.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:11 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,305 Posts
Quote:
I can check the baudrate again. However, it was communicating at 38400. Can I connect an FTDI while all the GPS connections are soldered to the PCB? Would this hurt the PCB in any way? I don't really want to have to desolder everything.
The FTDI RX is an input (don't connect the TX output, just RX and GND), so you should be able to see what's going on, when you power up the mod with the GPS.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:15 PM
Joined Oct 2014
25 Posts
Quote:
The FTDI RX is an input (don't connect the TX output, just RX and GND), so you should be able to see what's going on, when you power up the mod with the GPS.
But if I need to change the baudrate then I'd need TX, right? And then I'd have to desolder everything...?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:08 AM
Joined Oct 2014
25 Posts
Quote:
But if I need to change the baudrate then I'd need TX, right? And then I'd have to desolder everything...?
Looks like it may have changed baudrates but if I try to select something than 38400 it doesn't seem to result in anything nicer. I probably need to reset the config on it. Not sure how it was lost. How should I proceed in doing this? Do I need to disconnect the GRX and GVCC from the PCB?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:17 AM
Joined Oct 2014
25 Posts
Quote:
Looks like it may have changed baudrates but if I try to select something than 38400 it doesn't seem to result in anything nicer. I probably need to reset the config on it. Not sure how it was lost. How should I proceed in doing this? Do I need to disconnect the GRX and GVCC from the PCB?
Actually if I just view the output in Hyperterminal from the GPS it looks fine to me..?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 01:49 AM
User
Joined Aug 2007
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
Not that easy. I try to retrieve the information from the GPS to file and it just hangs there and does nothing. I tried calling U-Blox and they couldn't help me either. Therefore, for the last year and a half, I have been doing it manually. Besides, the end user will only have to do it once.
I have noticed that the U-Center code seems to be very (I want to say buggy) touchy about how it works, so I see what you mean. What made me think of that method is that is how the configuration seems to be passed around among ardupilot fliers. I tried one of their config files, but it seems to configure the NMEA data sentences to be binary instead of ASCII. I will attach my MiruMod U-Blox configuration file to this post, but I have not actually run it on an ARdrone yet, and may end up using it for another quad I am building that is running the Arducopter controller anyway. The configuration attached here does cause the U-blox to produce an output that matches Miru's MiruPCB man manual description. Maybe you can check it out if you feel like it, and maybe get some use out of it?
DaveS2 is offline Find More Posts by DaveS2
Old Nov 21, 2014, 09:34 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Looks like the baudrate is ok, otherwise your FTDI would not have received anything intelligable, assuming you set it to 38400. Check the format as well, it is supposed to be 8 bit, no parity, 1 stop and NO flow control. According to the screen shot you set the GPS up to send a GPRMC at 5Hz and a GPGGA at 1Hz, it is supposed to be the other way around.
You will have to disconnect GTX from the mod if you need to connect the TX output of the FTDI.
Last edited by miru; Nov 21, 2014 at 09:55 AM. Reason: disconnect note
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:02 PM
Joined Oct 2014
25 Posts
Quote:
Looks like the baudrate is ok, otherwise your FTDI would not have received anything intelligable, assuming you set it to 38400. Check the format as well, it is supposed to be 8 bit, no parity, 1 stop and NO flow control. According to the screen shot you set the GPS up to send a GPRMC at 5Hz and a GPGGA at 1Hz, it is supposed to be the other way around.
You will have to disconnect GTX from the mod if you need to connect the TX output of the FTDI.
I followed the video Dave posted and that's what he said to do. Well over the weekend maybe I'll try reprogramming it one more time. I'll just cut the GTX wire going to the mod in the interim.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 05:10 PM
Joined Oct 2014
25 Posts
Quote:
I followed the video Dave posted and that's what he said to do. Well over the weekend maybe I'll try reprogramming it one more time. I'll just cut the GTX wire going to the mod in the interim.
I think I just fried the board somehow previously when I needed to desolder and resolder the GPS. Maybe burned a trace or something? Because the GPS is at 38400 baudrate and it gets a fix almost right away in u-center. Thanks for your guys help.

I may try getting another GPS at some point but for the time being I am in the works of making a drone from scratch. I will test the GPS on that and see. That should be done in a week or so.