HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2010, 04:06 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
United States, NM, Socorro
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Careful!
Warning: HXT 4mm Gold Connector w/ Protector

Over the past year HobbyCity has sold the following connector under the name "HXT 4mm Gold Connector w/ Protector". It was also the primarily used connector on the larger lipos. These connectors look good on paper but they have made one very bad design choice (or flaw as I see it), they are all the same. Most connector types have totally different male and female housings but not these. In fact the only difference between the "battery" connector and "esc" connector is the placement of the bullets inside the housing. Because of this design choice, 2 battery packs can be directly, and fully, connected to each other!!! This "completes the circuit" as it is said in electronics and causes a direct short.

Here is a photo illustrating the problem

Of course I did not really connect 2 packs together. These connectors had been cut from the packs before connecting them as you see above.

Because of this design flaw I would seriously recommend against using these connectors. There are many other designs that do not share this flaw and they similarly priced and sold at HobbyCity. This includes the EC5 connectors.
tjinguy is offline Find More Posts by tjinguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:15 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,355 Posts
Thanks for the info. But I do not normally try to plug my battery packs into each other.
But I could see this as a problem for someone who decides to try it.
it might be pretty spectacular though.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:16 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,839 Posts
Ever use a tight fuse with two parallel packs? IT happens. Thanks TJ.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:00 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Quote:
But I do not normally try to plug my battery packs into each other.
Because the possibility exists, it is a problem. Just because you aren't intentionally going to do it, what if you accidentally did? Say you were charging a pack and it finished. So you grabbed a second pack to swap out with the charged pack and when you unplug the charged pack you accidentally plug the new pack into the charged pack instead of the charger. Maybe it is a 1 in a 100000 thing but man would that ever suck if it happened and all because you used a connector was designed poorly. There are just so many other good connectors out there to choose from, why take the chance?
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:06 PM
rancho san antonio, CA
Joined Sep 2005
775 Posts
microDeans have the same problem. I just started using them about a week
ago and several times I almost made the same mistake when plugging
and unplugging packs with the charger.
mayday1 is offline Find More Posts by mayday1
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:10 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Ah right they sure do. Too bad there are not many small connector to choose from. I usually use the JST red ones but honestly I don't feel super secure in those either.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:40 PM
TMO
Stonington, Ct.
Joined Nov 2001
1,290 Posts
I have also noticed in several OEM installations of these plugs that the male bullet often protrudes from end of the casing. This defeats the purpose of always installing a shielded female connector on anything that can supply current.

If you like this style of connector the EC3 or EC5 is the way to go IMHO.

Also:
I too wish there was a better alternative for the <10A connectors.
TMO is offline Find More Posts by TMO
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:35 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
If you are lucky to stay under 10a or so JST is definitely the best solution. What amazes me is how upset some get when you suggest colored wires may not be safe enough to avoid tragedy.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Jan 23, 2010, 04:24 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday1 View Post
microDeans have the same problem. I just started using them about a week
ago and several times I almost made the same mistake when plugging
and unplugging packs with the charger.
I had this issue with Micro Deans as well and remedied it by keeping them capped at all times with 1/4" vinyl bolt caps. I charge my small packs exclusively through the balance taps so the Micro Deans stay covered and protected except when in my airplane. Problem solved.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:25 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,057 Posts
I do the same thing with micro Deans except I use a piece of shrink tubing that just slides over the connector. Soon as I take the batt off the charger,I slide on the heat shrink so no danger of plugging another batt. into it. Might ba able to get into the habit of doing it with these bigger connectors.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:30 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Sorry but I would prefer to have a connector that was designed without these problems. Maybe a replacement for the Micro Deans will pop up soon. Maybe they will be called XT10s
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:19 PM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
Did you know that if you cut the protector off of these there is awesome 10 gauge plugs that can be use elsewhere? I cut three sets off and used them to connect my motor to my CC ICE 100 ESC (10 gauge wires).
Jeff_edge540 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_edge540
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:38 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
The bullets housed in the connector are standard 4mm just like banana plugs and the bullets used on many larger motors. I too have removed the bullets from my connectors and I use them in other places.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 09:07 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,210 Posts
Safe & cheap in colors

These are commonly known as Fast Ons. Found in H D & Lowes & all electrical places.
FULLY HOODED ( covered ) against any type of male to male or female to female. 3 sizes.
Smallest is red............medium is these blue ones...........and yellow, largest normally found.
comes in several insulating materials. Right up to Nylon. MUST BE CRIMPED ON THE WIRES.
All take + & - coloring. Dirt cheap.

Rich
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Jan 25, 2010, 01:53 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,932 Posts
Quote:
So you grabbed a second pack to swap out with the charged pack and when you unplug the charged pack you accidentally plug the new pack into the charged pack instead of the charger.
If you end up doing this after you put out the fire I suggest in the future that you take one less toke or have fewer drinks
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn