HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:57 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,955 Posts
Discussion
Should Horizon bring back the Eflite P-47 Razorback in ZFoam?

As most of you guys know by now, the Eflite Hawker Sea Fury is coming back unchanged... but remolded in modern Zfoam construction!

Dave Eichstedt has already told us that the beloved P-38 is not slated to return but he said nothing about the superb and much sought after Eflite P-47.

So what do you guys think? Should Horizon bring this one back too? Would you buy one? Is it too similar to the Parkzone offering to make this likely?

Personally, I have been dying to find a nice Eflite P-47 for years. I snapped up the Parkzone one when it was released (and it is very good) but it didn't make my deams of the little razorback go away. I will absolutely buy another Sea Fury in the new foam...and I would buy (at least) one Eflite P-47 if they re-release this one as well.

Any thoughts are welcome.

I'll just add that this plane represents some unique frustration to many of us who haven't been flying that long. It came out just as electric/foamy planes were really starting to hit their stride but went away before many of us were ready for it. I have a feeling that this one would sell based not only on it's merits of being a beautiful and great flying model but also on a bit of nostalgia.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:11 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
I'd rather have balsa.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:24 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,250 Posts
It was a great flying model , but ...........we have so many great epo P47 now that I think it would not justify the container cost and MOQs needed to make a run to the USA
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:26 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
It was a great flying model , but ...........we have so many great epo P47 now that I think it would not justify the container cost and MOQs needed to make a run to the USA
How many Razorbacks? How many in this size range? Aside from the fragile and expensive Alfa model and that generic Chinese/miserable looking EPS model that is sold at Nitroplanes, etc, I don't believe there are any in EPO/Zfoam at all.
Last edited by MRGTX; Nov 14, 2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:51 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,250 Posts
Emotional today lol ?
I look at this as a business question because that is how Horison answered me when I asked the first time around because I loved the plane .
1)the molds are expensive and the factory did not want to make this model
2)the cost of production has gone way up
3)you have meet an MOQ--Minimum Order Quanity --and that is typically the highest cost not the best , in order to get a lower cost you have to buy more then MOQ .
I dont know that in defence of Horison that they will sell the MOQ or even 1/2 container on this plane . The market is flooded with so much more in this size , planes in this size now have retracts, flaps and so much more then the early foam planes offered .
Horsion is playing catch up and there not doing a bad job at it but they need to more faster , better , stronger because the market is way ahead of them, this is a business answer not an emotional one
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:09 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,744 Posts
Seems like I've seen it discussed before about this model and sadly, the molds weren't saved so there is no "bringing it back" as it were.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:27 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
It needs to be bigger anyways.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:46 AM
United States, IA, Greenfield
Joined Apr 2010
582 Posts
Not a good parkflyer sized Razorback on the market in my opinion. I would buy it in a heart beat.
Lilbanks96 is offline Find More Posts by Lilbanks96
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:53 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Emotional today lol ?
I look at this as a business question because that is how Horison answered me when I asked the first time around because I loved the plane .
1)the molds are expensive and the factory did not want to make this model
2)the cost of production has gone way up
3)you have meet an MOQ--Minimum Order Quanity --and that is typically the highest cost not the best , in order to get a lower cost you have to buy more then MOQ .
I dont know that in defence of Horison that they will sell the MOQ or even 1/2 container on this plane . The market is flooded with so much more in this size , planes in this size now have retracts, flaps and so much more then the early foam planes offered .
Horsion is playing catch up and there not doing a bad job at it but they need to more faster , better , stronger because the market is way ahead of them, this is a business answer not an emotional one

Good points all around...

1.) The factory that gave them problems is presumably not the same one that is making the Sea Fury in Zfoam. The same production problems applied to that model so they're apparenly resolved.

2.) True but the Sea Fury will be $10 cheaper than the first release so...not sure if that's a problem when the plane has been engineered already.

3.) You're right about Min Order Quantity...but if the Sea Fury can do it...

Is the market flooded? How do you figure? yes, there is a good variety of small, foam electric planes out there but it certainly doesn't seem like the vendors are starving yet....and God knows there is a dearth of Razorback P-47s out there. Nobody makes them!

gnats82,
Have they officially said that the molds weren't saved? Conversation I had will a Horizon rep about 8 months ago led me to think otherwise...
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:22 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,250 Posts
ok thanks and they are some great points , but I remember the same thing that Gnats is saying , the molds were not saved (as per what i was told) .
I asked Horison because I crashed mine and I received a very good responce but sadly it was not a happy one !!!
I wish Horison would jump on the FMS bandwagon , it would be nice to have there customer servace in the mix .Tower is totally clueless to the trends in the industry so much that with there latest release of the Fw190 , we on rcgroups already knew of all the problems with the retracts and the plane !!!
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:24 AM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Dec 2010
109 Posts
No, I would like to see a conversion kit for the PK- P-47
Boelcke is offline Find More Posts by Boelcke
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:26 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,744 Posts
MRGTX -

It's been awhile but seems like Dave E. from HH mentioned it in more or less that form, not having recovered the molds. Maybe he'll pop in to clear that up.

For sure, there aren't any foam razorback P-47s on the market worth note and many folks have praised this one over the years though I've not had one.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:29 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boelcke View Post
No, I would like to see a conversion kit for the PK- P-47
There is a conversion kit for the current PZ P-47 (Parkflyer Plastics). Are you meaning a kit from ParkZone?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:38 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Here's the link.
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=541
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:45 AM
United States, NC, Marion
Joined Jun 2011
796 Posts