SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2014, 03:08 PM
Joined Jan 2014
2 Posts
Help!
Miniquad ESC's

Ok, after seeing some scary posts on forums i thought i would just check here...

I have just ordered from HK(yay shipping!) some multistar elite miniquad motors and some 12a Blueserise ESC's. Some people are claiming that some ESC's can desync and burn out small motors. I will be running this setup off 3s mostly, and maybe 4s when i get better!

I have had multirotor experience all ready, but just looking for some advice on the miniquad ESC situation!

Cheers, Geck.
gecko242 is offline Find More Posts by gecko242
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2014, 03:50 AM
Joined Jun 2008
952 Posts
Blue series need to be flashed with Flashed with BS N-FET 2013-05-15 to work with high KV motors.

also Blue series are known to be temperamental. a good place for info like this is the warp quad thread or the blackout mini-h thread.

IMO if you want rock solid performance then the best combo is turnigy Plush 12A ESC flashed with bl-heli. so far i have tested these with zmr,cobra,sunny sky dye and the baby beast motors. tested on 3 and 4 cell. they never fail.... unless they get wet!

also there are many opinions on this. and also a LOT of false info. you just gonna have to give stuff a try.
dogz85 is offline Find More Posts by dogz85
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ESC's for multies
Old Oct 16, 2014, 02:58 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,502 Posts
I would highly suggest the AfroSlims. They are excellent ESCs, but come with a caveat, in that they NEED to be flashed to a current firmware.

When purchased they come flashed with rather old firmware from late 2013 where the firmware was apparently not really developed for high KV motors. I use 2600KV on my mini. That means it is necessary to purchase the flash tool, or some method to do so.

Unflashed, they DO desync on 4S at high KV. However, after flashing they are excellent for a mini in that they are about 30% the weight of regular 20A ESCs. They actually have 30A FETS, but are de-spec'd to 20A because of no heat sinks and have 20g wire to go inside booms. However, if you provide them with air flow you can treat them as 30A ESCs.

Here is my mini with 4S. It would notoriously desync with 4S 50% of the time before flashing. After flashing they are a whole differant ESC.

0645 Props & 4S (0 min 58 sec)
Cyberdactyl is online now Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl