Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:29 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Help!
SIG SE Canopy Installing?

Hi and Happy New Year,

I’m in the middle of my first build, a SIG SE, and at a lost on how to attempt to install the canopy I’ve covered the hatch and dyed the canopy (see pics below), but I searched the web and cannot find a good source of detailed instruction and/or pictorials on How-To.
I found lots of advice on glue types, trim use, direct gluing on film, cut-out film, etc.
I seen some really super applications and posted some sample pics below.
How did they do that, is it easier than what I’m trying to make it out to be?

Advice most appreciated…

Michael
The Violets is offline Find More Posts by The Violets
Last edited by The Violets; Feb 11, 2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Correct Plane Model
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:36 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,245 Posts
I do believe it is easier then what you're thinking. A few of those pics look to be simply striped around the glue joint.. which is very easy. I don't know of alot of glues that work better then RC56 either. In my experience(every canopy I've installed in the last 20yrs), bar-none thats the easiest.

I would recomend testing it somewhere.. get a 2-liter soda bottle.. cut it up.. find a scrap plane part thats expendable.. and glue away. That will give you an idea of how the glue handles... dry time, transparency, etc.. and might just shed some light on it for you.. before you apply it to your pride and joy.. and I have to say.. thats one of the cleanest hatch's I've seen.. and a great tint job on the canopy too.

The RC56 is flexible, and actually can be pulled off carefully too. I'm curious as other glues you've seen recomended. I've seen, and actually used odorless CA in a pinch..that being fumeless doesn't etch plastic... but for your app.. you might really want to try the RC56.. there's something to that stuff..its easy.

Those kinds of canopys are great candidates for a complimentary striping around the outer edge. It also looks like you still need to cut the canopy also.. I would imagine you've got that under control.. simple scissor cut, with a light sanding block to even it out is all you need there. Cut it just a fuzz oversize though, then lightly trim/sand to final. You're plane will look great.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:10 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
SIG SE Canopy Installing?

Thanks for the prompt reply, and the pop bottle practice is a great idea! My fear was that I only have the one canopy and there would have been no recourse. The RC56 was the most popular, Formula 560, Shoe Goo, Silicone, Weldbond and a few did mention the foam safe/odorless CA. By the way, can the glue (RC56) be applied over the film or should I cut-out a seam to the bare wood?
So far, with the mistakes I’ve made to-date, the built abled me to reverse and/or repaired them without incident; just a little patience was all it took. After reading some of the stories, I wasn’t looking forward to covering but after a little trial and error; it’s a pretty sweet part of the build.

Thanks …

Michael
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:35 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,245 Posts
RC56 can be used directly on film covering. It helps a tad to rough up the glue surface(only in the area of glue) with maybe some steel wool, or finish sandpaper.. That will make it a bit more difficult to remove, and would probably leave more residue if you had to remove for some reason.. but in that case.. I'm sure it would go back on in the same place... it also insures that that canopy isn't going anywhere.

Oh yeah.. the old ShooGoo.. and the obvious silicone.. of which I've used both of these several times for different applications...and like any adhesive/glue these particular materials are not as easy to handle in my opinion.. the biggest issue(if theres any), is if you get these glues in areas you don't want..they're much more difficult to clean any residue off....without solvent base cleaner(which is not good on a canopy).. whereas RC56 residual cleans with warm water on a paper towel....

RC56 is very transparent...thats the biggest issue with the 56 when cleaning, is its so hard to see. Definately do some testing though... right down to "clean-up" testing..to know how much effort is required should clean up be needed.. see how easy it cleans off inotherwords... see how the residual wipes off.. all that stuff.. Just double check me here..and keep reading the boards.. theres alot of experience to take in.. I like my RC56 for sure though.. and shelf life is incredible.. years literally.. so don't worry about buying a whole bottle and it going away in a year.. I know mine is OLD, and its still good.. I just used it a few weeks ago.. and hopefully will be using it again in a few weeks.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:53 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Testors 3515 C

Hi,

I thought I would have the RC56, from a shop in another Province, but instead they sent me a substitute from “Testors”, 3515 C.
I’m going to test it out tonight, using DGRANT’s suggestion.
Has anyone tried using this stuff?

Thanks…

Michael
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:49 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,545 Posts
I used to manufacter that Testor's product. Unless they changed the formula, it is not suitable for your needs.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:33 AM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
HI,

Thanks Tom for the input, it’s holding on the test pieces, but leaving residues, less so, on the thicker plastic and solid film. I cannot compare it to the RC56 (Only in America!); I guess I’ll have to make do, worst comes to worse, I can use trim as a cover-up.
Anyone have a sample pic on using the RC56 or any brand name glue would work better?

Thank-you for your time…

Michael
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:44 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
I use Formula 560 canopy glue.Made by PACER Technology.Here are a couple pictures of a canopy held on with this glue.
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:42 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Thank Komet,

Great pics the Pacer 560 worked real nice and still holding, seem shipping restrictions, does not make it available up here, like the J&Z RC56.

Thanks…
Michael
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:28 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Hi,

I can confirm they did not change the formula, LOL!
You can catch the trial and errors in post #155 on my build log.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post24093793

Pity, “J&Z” R/C-56 or “Pacer” R/C-560, only in America!

Michael
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:49 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Mike,Who says you can't ship this from U.S. ? Maybe a fellow modler would just put it into a box and mark it balsa wood
sP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:09 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Hi sP,

Happen on my last two current orders, one with” A Main Hobbies” and “Tower Hobbies”, they remove it from my orders, as well as, the balsa filler, Monokote Trim Solvent and Stay-Brite Silver Solder, unless I had a US address. I had the same issues, this summer, with after-run oil and MonoKote rattle cans.
Looks like one of you are going have to adopt me, LOL!
Seriously they are restricted items and one of you might get into serious trouble trying to ship-it across, I would not want that…

Thanks

Michael
Last edited by The Violets; Feb 11, 2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Missed a word!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:52 AM
SLC, Ut
Joined Apr 2010
118 Posts
Michael, You might try a glue called Roo Glue. It's sold in the cabinet industry to glue melamine board product together. I've used it for that and to glue blue foam together and it seems to work very well. It might work for your canopy also, although I've not tried that particular application. You could probably just get some from a local cabinet shop. It looks like plain old white glue, but it does an outstanding job holding melamine together, which ordinary white glue does not.
Also, that photo in your first post labeled SSE canopy II is not actually a Somethin' Extra. It's a Venture 60. Close, but not the same plane. It's nice to see photos of my planes getting around!
yel914 is offline Find More Posts by yel914
Last edited by yel914; Feb 11, 2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: mistyped
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:35 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Hi yel914,

Thanks for the tip, and I hope you didn’t mind me using one of your planes as an inspiration for my first build.

Michael
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:58 AM
SLC, Ut
Joined Apr 2010
118 Posts
Not at all Michael, I consider it a compliment. And here's a pic of my SSE, may she rest in peace...er...pieces!
yel914 is offline Find More Posts by yel914