HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by savage 40, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:39 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,160 Posts
Savage,

Absolutely amazing stuff - I look forward to more!!
And it sounds like you've got Tom very hooked/interested in doing some Telescope stuff too!!
I'll comment more later on - I've been up ALL night AGAIN and gotta crash.

[/b]B![/b]
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:14 PM
United States, CA, Oroville
Joined Sep 2007
81 Posts
It's definately fun... Can't wait for clear skies..
savage 40 is offline Find More Posts by savage 40
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:30 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklet View Post
I tried this a while back. I hadn't got enough length on the focuser to be able to get an image. I wanted to set up a guide scope. The focuser was wound right out and I still couldn't get a focused image.

I anticipated problems when fitting a webcam. Would I have to have a bigger range of adjustment ?

It turned out that I only needed to fit the camera onto a tube that just fitted into the eyepiece holder. Focusing on stars, the moon and Jupiter were easy. The camera focuses at nearly the same setting as a 40mm eyepiece.

Terrestrial objects needed a much longer focus tube than I have on my scope.

Had to resort to setting the guide scope up in the dark !
I had the same problem... no focusable image with my camera CMOS about 1/2 in. beyond the back edge of the eyepiece holder, which has a travel of about 2 in. I was focusing on some trees that I'd estimate were maybe 800 ft. or so away. Maybe I should give it another try on an object further out, like the next full moon.

The film container is a very tight secure fit in my eyepiece holder... I could make it work with my camera if the focusing distance isn't any further out than maybe 1 to 1-1/2 in. Do you think it's worth the effort with these limits? I'd still need to get an I/R filter if adjusting with post editing does not work well, but then not many celestial objects have much color anyway with my 4-1/2 in. reflector scope.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 05, 2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Sep 2007
81 Posts
Heres what I noticed.. For deep space my webcam doesn't gather enough light in my 8 scope.. For the moon its great.. for Saturn and jupiter it is on the decline but still do-able for stacking images.. Here's Saturn on a July night.. Some tweaking on the camera settings in the software might help.. But i never went back out to try it..
Saturn July23 2011 (1 min 34 sec)
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:32 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,160 Posts
Savage,

As you are the Astronomer around here and I am not, my question for you today is...

Q: Are Jupiter and Saturn always tilted at about 45 degrees as in your picture/video(s) or does it depend on the time of year and/or where on Earth a person takes the pictures from?
- Because in almost every picture I've seen of them, they are normally aligned horizontally in relation to viewer.

-B!LL!

PS: You've now got me that interested that I almost to want buy a kick ass telescope, but that would eat into my R/C aircraft budget - gezz, decisions, decisions!!

(I got one for xmas when I was about 10 years old, but by memory I think was it was not much more powerful than a pair of binoculars, I think about 90-150 x, but left it at a friends place who had great had great views of Sydney Harbour, and forgot to bring it home, that was maybe 20 years ago, so I might do a bit looking around on ebay and see what sort of price a half decent one sells for these days.)

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:00 AM
Joined Sep 2007
81 Posts
Tilted? That's funny! Actually if I spin the webcam in the eyepiece holder I can straighten it, but I get so fixated on focusing and playing with the settings or capture software I forget to rotate the camera.. I just play around in the driveway or backyard with it and capture what I can.. I tell the family we are going to have a "star party" tonite and they get so excited they forget to come outside and see the stars sigh..
Someday I'll get serious enough to make a checklist of sorts before I venture out into the cold dark night to get things in order.
Speaking of scopes, what I did was searched Craigslist and found scopes for sale.. Then searched eBay for the completed auctions of the scope I was looking at. My first scope was a Tasco I bought for $25.. Then sold it on eBay for $100.. Then bought a Meade etx70.., sold that for $180.. Then found a etx90.. Sold that for $350.. Finally scored this Nexstar8 for $500 (sold new $1,400 according to the receipt).. They sell for up to $700.. So if I decide to move up I'm looking for a 10" or more.. It is fun for me to buy and sell and move up.. Besides I'd never spend that much on the scope I have now.. Got too many hobbies to feed .
BTW here's a screaming deal on a Meade etx90
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/spo/3456444453.html
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:58 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,927 Posts
Hi Tom,
Give it a go. I couldn't get focus on nearby objects. I could have put the scope in the car and used something at a distance. I chose to wait until it was dark and then set up the finder scope. I reckon your focus adjustment will be enough.

Chances are it will be about the same place as one of the eyepiece focal lengths when you try the webcam/N0 11 keychain camera. I had seen a comment somwhere else from a guy who found the webcam needed to be way inside the normal focus tube distance.... I can only assume he was doing something odd !

I wouldn't bother about an IR filter. As savage 40 said the webcam/keychain camera is not going to be good for objects like start clusters and nebulae.

It will be most use on the moon and planets. The moon isn't a problem
I haven't tried Jupiter yet as I have been building a new dobsonian mount.
I splashed out on a sheet of plywood to build a new mount for the telescope I built approx. 30 years ago. The 8.5 inch scope has not been used for a long time. A new surge of interest, more time to do what I want and the old, somewhat wobbly, mount just had to be replaced. It's virtually finished and I reckon Monday night has good clear conditions forecast.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:06 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage 40 View Post
Tilted? That's funny! Actually if I spin the webcam in the eyepiece holder I can straighten it, but I get so fixated on focusing and playing with the settings or capture software I forget to rotate the camera.. I just play around in the driveway or backyard with it and capture what I can..
I must have a similar technique

I have some photos, originally taken with a digital camera pressed up against the eyepiece, which show the moon at some decidedly unusual angles !

That's a lesson in frustration - shoving a camera up against the eyepiece and trying to get photos. It can be done but only by the bloody minded !

Now my new dobsonian mount is just about ready I will have to try and fit the webcam and the No 11 keychain camera at an angle that makes sense of things .
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Last edited by sparklet; Dec 08, 2012 at 03:36 PM.