SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:18 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,767 Posts
Build Log
Frog Fairy for Britkit Build Off

So, now for something completely different! Something which will hopefully put a smile on Applehoney's face, 'cos I'm going to build a FREE FLIGHT model! Sorry Jim, not a competitive one, but strictly for fun.

Reasons? Well, I am planning on tackling an electric R/C conversion of the Keil Kraft Stunt Queen, but I don't really want to start this now as I am scheduled for a knee replacement operation on October 11th, so I am looking on the SQ build as something to keep me occupied through the second half of October, November and December in between the umpteen physio sessions and whilst I am banned from driving and outside activities. However, having just finished the Mars, there is a five week "window" in the schedule, I have to finish drawing up the Sportster plan for Kevin at Q&EFI, maybe the Mars too if he fancies it, but that won't take so long, so I need a little project. I also feel it would be nice to build something simple without the complications of electric and R/C by way of relaxation.

Trouble is, I have nowhere here to fly a "serious" free-flight model, but, wait a minute - I have a young nephew in the UK who is starting to show strong aeronautical and modelling interests, so how about building a small, attractive, vintage glider for him?

After a search through the plans archive the choice was narrowed down to two Frog designs, the 30" Fairy and the 36" Diana. I settled on the Fairy as I would really like to build the Diana for myself sometime as a two function radio model, a sort of micro slope-soarer.

So tomorrow I will be starting to cut all the bits out for this blast from the past nostalgia build which will hopefully transport me back to those happy days of the early fifties assembling all sorts of kit models on my mother's kitchen table. And best of all - it qualifies for the build off!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:42 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,466 Posts
Just looked it up. Simplicity personified. Bet you'll have it finished by the weekend........watch out Billy Whizz !

Gordon
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:55 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,595 Posts
Quote:
.watch out Billy Whizz
Don't worry....I'm watching

Free Flight. Last one of those I had was my Super 60 when the escapement rubber ran out of turns

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:07 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
A lovely little subject!
subscribed and ready for some vintage FF action.

sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:16 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,767 Posts
Not exactly Billy Whizz but I've made a start on this "relaxation" project. For such a small model there were quite a lot of pre-cut bits in this kit - typical of the FROG style - and many of them were not shown on the plan (again typical), so a bit of "lofting" was necessary before cutting could start, however I now have a complete set of bits and am just starting assembling them.

Interesting thing about the plan I am using is that it is a photocopy from an original kit plan, and you can clearly see on the plan the pin hole marks made by the original builder, probably around sixty years ago. Although it could have been, it wasn't me, as this was one model I never built, but as I start to build it now it does give me a sense of connection with that unknown, but probably young, modeller all those years ago, and leads me to wonder if his model was a successful performer. I also know for sure that around that time I would have been happily building some similar model on my mum's kitchen table after finishing my homework, which makes that sense of connection stronger. Happy days.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:28 AM
Albyone
Italia, Lombardia, Monza
Joined May 2006
229 Posts
Sundancer!
But do not you ever stop?
you're worse than me!

Ciao

Albyone
albyone is offline Find More Posts by albyone
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:38 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by albyone View Post
Sundancer!
But do not you ever stop?
you're worse than me!

Ciao

Albyone
No Albyone I don't! I started building flying model aeroplanes 65 years and over 500 models ago and have never stopped, I guess until I am too old to hold a balsa knife I never will!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:48 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
you seem to be doing ok George!

sparks
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:26 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,767 Posts
Gentle progress

This is the kind of model I used to build in a couple of evenings when I was 11, but the object of the exercise here is relaxation, so I am just taking my time and really enjoying this low pressure build. Hopefully too this one will be rather better finished than the ones sixty years ago! The fuselage is finished, a nice light but rigid 1/16" sheet box, no longerons, just tabbed 1/16" balsa formers. A line is installed for operation of the auto-rudder which is the only change I am permitting myself on this one.

I pre-hollowed the centre laminations of the solid nose to create a compartment for the nose weight, I'll drill a 1/4" access hole later to take the air gun pellets.

The first half wing is pinned down and drying, I'll maybe build the centre section before going to bed - or maybe not, no rush!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:36 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Off to a flying start ..on the relaxing build!

sparks
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:40 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,767 Posts
Leisurely progress continues, I now have a completed airframe save for a gusset or two, dowels and the auto-rudder. We have a visitor coming tomorrow, so the covering, and especially the doping, may not get done until next week as the study where I do my building is next to the guest bedroom, and I don't think she would appreciate the perfume of cellulose!

Pretty little thing though isn't it, with the elliptical tips and tailplane. Almost wish I had decided to build it as a double size slope soarer now.......although no, that wasn't the object of the exercise, relaxation was and that seems to have worked. God though, I am slowing down, I can't believe it has taken a whole four days to build this simple little framework.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:49 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,466 Posts
Very nicely done too, if I may say so?
(And I bet disgustingly light as well? )
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:56 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,030 Posts
Looking good, SD.
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:07 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Good relaxing progress SD.
How will the auto-rudder be operated? Is it a remote mounted DT fuse?
sparks
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:00 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,767 Posts
Gordon - not especially light - 52 grams/1.3/4 oz as it stands but of course it will need a loadalead in the sharp end. Specified weight on the plan is 3 ounces for a wing loading of 3.72 oz/square foot, so I will probably be around that finished.

Glad you like it BS

Sparks; no D/T on this one, if it is grabbed by the great thermal god Hung, well, so be it. I always used to use a pin release auto-rudder on my contest F/F gliders, but on this one have gone for a direct pull line held by the tow ring as I envisage it being launched by mini-bungee, and pin release wouldn't work with that.
RCG Plus Member