Old Jun 02, 2012, 04:15 AM
Joined Jun 2011
6 Posts
Help!
Reducing Tx output signal power

Hi,

I have bought this RTF indoor heli:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merlin-Trace.../dp/B0039JCFU2
a 2.4 Ghz Tx is included. Regulations at my country state that the signal power output should not exceed 10 mW. After asking a friend with some experience in RC stuff, he said that most probably all transimetters exceed 10 mW. How can I reduce the signal power of my transimtter? Is there an RF amplifier that can be deactivated or temporarily removed from Tx to guarantee reducing the power below 10mW? Is there more simple & easy ways to do this?
Any advice/help is appreciated.
asaad_civic99 is offline Find More Posts by asaad_civic99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2012, 08:17 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,671 Posts
I assume you live in the EU, since you mention th 10mW limit.

For 2.4 Ghz RC control gear the limit is 100mW (at least in Denmark, where I live). Spektrum TXs sold in Europe is limited to 100 mW, but in the rest of the world the output is some 127 mW as I remember.

It has something to do with the fact that RC signals is sent in packets, so you are actually only transmitting for a small percentage of the time the TX is on. This is why 50mW 2.4 Xbees are legal too, you are not transmitting a constant signal but a series of packets with "silence" in between them.

The 10mW limit is imposed on constant transmitting (Video is a good example of a constant transmission)

Bottom line: I wouldnt worry about anything but having fun with your new toy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaad_civic99 View Post
Hi,

I have bought this RTF indoor heli:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merlin-Trace.../dp/B0039JCFU2
a 2.4 Ghz Tx is included. Regulations at my country state that the signal power output should not exceed 10 mW. After asking a friend with some experience in RC stuff, he said that most probably all transimetters exceed 10 mW. How can I reduce the signal power of my transimtter? Is there an RF amplifier that can be deactivated or temporarily removed from Tx to guarantee reducing the power below 10mW? Is there more simple & easy ways to do this?
Any advice/help is appreciated.
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2012, 05:41 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaad_civic99 View Post
After asking a friend with some experience in RC stuff, he said that most probably all transimetters exceed 10 mW.
Your friend is wrong. Most of these toy transmitters put out less than 3mW.

Do a range check. If it loses control in under 100m then you have nothing to worry about.
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott