HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2014, 04:59 PM
I want just one more plane!
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
434 Posts
Thank you for asking about expo, I put expo on all planes and on my 3D ailerons I'm using up to 80%. I switched radio systems this spring, I now use the Aurora 9 and it seemed like my flying skills went to s--t! Today I asked my flying buddy to move this aileron sticks as fast as possible to compare to mine which were lightning fast. Turns out I'm a dummy, didn't even know Aurora 9's used negative instead of positive expo, no wonder my flights feel like a bucking bronc ride, at 80% expo the wrong way?? Condor 84's post of his rates last night got me thinking, I should have noticed the reverse expo, high rates was scary scary scary. Now I get to learn how to fly all my planes again, the right way!
timwj1 is offline Find More Posts by timwj1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2014, 06:03 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timwj1 View Post
Thank you for asking about expo, I put expo on all planes and on my 3D ailerons I'm using up to 80%. I switched radio systems this spring, I now use the Aurora 9 and it seemed like my flying skills went to s--t! Today I asked my flying buddy to move this aileron sticks as fast as possible to compare to mine which were lightning fast. Turns out I'm a dummy, didn't even know Aurora 9's used negative instead of positive expo, no wonder my flights feel like a bucking bronc ride, at 80% expo the wrong way?? Condor 84's post of his rates last night got me thinking, I should have noticed the reverse expo, high rates was scary scary scary. Now I get to learn how to fly all my planes again, the right way!
Just had a conservation about that at the field this afternoon.
Who needs jitters!?
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Oct 05, 2014, 07:35 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,423 Posts
Quote:
...didn't even know Aurora 9's used negative instead of positive expo, no wonder my flights feel like a bucking bronc ride, at 80% expo the wrong way??

Wow, 80% the WRONG way?!@!

You sir are quite a pilot not to crash everything, I probably would have!
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Oct 05, 2014, 08:02 PM
Joined Feb 2013
434 Posts
ha ha, it sure explains why I tore out a few landing gear and then bent some motor shafts late springtime. Luckily everything was easy repairs, live and learn!
Old Oct 05, 2014, 10:39 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollins View Post
Having said that, are you guys using expo on this bird, and if so how much?

Colin

Thanks guys!

Colin
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
Old Oct 06, 2014, 04:47 AM
United States, FL, Hastings
Joined May 2013
92 Posts
Quote:
Holy hell..I tried flying with +50 expo once on my Aurora with a tried and true airplane just to see what it was like...I promptly hit the switch and never did anything like that again. You must be quite the pilot indeed. But, I don't blame you. After using Futaba forever, I had a hard time remembering to put in negative expos instead of positive ones, and every now and then when programming one of my old Futabas, I catch myself putting in negative. Did you notice, however, that it seems to require more expo in the Aurora for an equivalent to some other radios?

Now, I can just imagine flying the Cosmic Wind on 98% positive expo on high rates. If one could fly and land, they'd surely have bragging rights for quite awhile.
Condor84 is offline Find More Posts by Condor84
Old Oct 06, 2014, 09:11 AM
Joined Feb 2013
434 Posts
Yes, I agree, it seems the Aurora 9 increments are much smaller than the Spektrum I used, same with trim settings, it takes a while to get used to it but I really like the Aurora 9. I liked it so well I bought 2, and have the planes I don't care for on the 2nd one, its nice to have a backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condor84 View Post
Holy hell..I tried flying with +50 expo once on my Aurora with a tried and true airplane just to see what it was like...I promptly hit the switch and never did anything like that again. You must be quite the pilot indeed. But, I don't blame you. After using Futaba forever, I had a hard time remembering to put in negative expos instead of positive ones, and every now and then when programming one of my old Futabas, I catch myself putting in negative. Did you notice, however, that it seems to require more expo in the Aurora for an equivalent to some other radios?

Now, I can just imagine flying the Cosmic Wind on 98% positive expo on high rates. If one could fly and land, they'd surely have bragging rights for quite awhile.
Old Oct 06, 2014, 02:43 PM
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,732 Posts
Ripped one of my main landing gear off today while landing I got snagged in a prop strike tear in the textile runway
jk6672 is online now Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Oct 06, 2014, 04:29 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
Ripped one of my main landing gear off today while landing I got snagged in a prop strike tear in the textile runway
Bummer
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Oct 13, 2014, 06:29 AM
Joined Oct 2012
40 Posts
Hi, I had the CW with rimfire 15, mostly running on 3S, 2200mAh and sometimes with 4S but in high speed it has vibration and can not keep with the speed . Unfortunately it had an unpleasant meeting with the ground and the fuselage was damaged. now I am in the question of what to do?
Option 1: built it with the same setup of Rimfire 15, 45A ESC and APC 8X8
Option 2: Built it with same setup but make some improvement to be able to run 4S with no vibration, have no idea how to do it?
Option 3: Built it with Rimfire 10 and use only 3S and maybe gain some W so I will not loose much speed
Option 4: Try to look for something similar but little bigger like the great plane proud bird, or the Great Planes F-1 Rocket Evo or any other idea.

Thanks for your help.

Udi

I will be happy to get any inputs
ugavish is offline Find More Posts by ugavish
Old Oct 13, 2014, 07:51 AM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,226 Posts
You will undoubtedly get votes on all your choices from different people..
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:29 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
Alternate for the CW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugavish View Post
Hi, I had the CW with rimfire 15, mostly running on 3S, 2200mAh and sometimes with 4S but in high speed it has vibration and can not keep with the speed . Unfortunately it had an unpleasant meeting with the ground and the fuselage was damaged. now I am in the question of what to do?
Option 4: Try to look for something similar but little bigger like the great plane proud bird, or the Great Planes F-1 Rocket Evo or any other idea.

Thanks for your help.

Udi

I will be happy to get any inputs
...could be the HK Invictus for your Option 4. Very nice lookin' bird that's a bit larger than the CW, if you're considering moving up to the EF-1 class ships...... The Invictus stock status (today) shows that it's available in the States as well...
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R