HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2003, 07:08 PM
Joined Mar 2003
192 Posts
E-starter battery cover

just my luck, I go to the field tonight with like a half hour of light left and has i hook up the battery the battery cover pulled out of the fuse. the clip on the cover broke so i have been screwing it closed with little screws. MY question is? Is there a better way to secure the battery in the fuse without using the battery cover supplied by gws...or is there a way to modify the door to make it close and be secured better. any ideas are welcome also pictures of what you use to secure the battery will be greatly appreciated as well.
67bigdog is offline Find More Posts by 67bigdog
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2003, 09:27 PM
Jefferson, GA
Joined Jul 2002
1,220 Posts
I just ditched the battery holder/cover all together. Whittled mine out to hold 7-cell KAN 950 packs, and strap it in with a piece of glue-on velco. Works fine. However, the battery packs are snug in the foam already.

Good luck,
David J.
DavidJ is offline Find More Posts by DavidJ
Old Aug 25, 2003, 08:06 AM
Joined Mar 2003
192 Posts
do you also have velcro on the battery and or the battery compartment... so you just have a strap of velcro glued to the fuse then you just put the bat in then velcro it accross...
Old Aug 25, 2003, 11:09 AM
Phoenix
Joined Mar 2003
859 Posts
See:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...starter+lg+tom

for a picture of my LG and Batt Cover mod. My batt cover did not fail, but I carved out the hole for a bigger battery so the plastic cover would not fit. It could be better looking, but it is functional.

The door is 1/16 ply - tyvek hinge - velcro closure. I made the door a little small for cooling (it could use more). It is sort-of painted grey.

Tom
TStokes is offline Find More Posts by TStokes
Old Aug 25, 2003, 12:44 PM
Joined Mar 2003
192 Posts
stokes the link didnt work, it sounds like a good idea of how u set it up, i wish i could see the mod
Old Aug 25, 2003, 04:54 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2003
411 Posts
Just copy and paste the link text. It works. The pic is good and I should've seen that before because I made an ugly velcro mod when I wish I'd done what Tom did.

Good luck!
ddoucette is offline Find More Posts by ddoucette
Old Aug 26, 2003, 11:41 AM
Phoenix
Joined Mar 2003
859 Posts
Fixed Link

Here it is again:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...starter+lg+tom

I tested this one. I always have trouble with the link-creator. I will test in preview from now on.

I glued the tyvek to the foam with oderless CA. Started out with epoxy, but it let go after a week or so. The oderless CA has held.

The LG has held up really well. I used epoxy there - but should have used Probond & water (which I recently learned is the same as Gorilla Glue) because it would have filled the gaps better. I used heavier wire for the LG.

Tom
TStokes is offline Find More Posts by TStokes