SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:33 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
sweet , will be watching soon as it's up .
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2010, 09:48 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,022 Posts
Success!!!

...here it is! The Maiden (after final mods). Great plan guys! Thanks for all the help and advice! She has earned a 'touch' up paint job as well as a spot in the trunk (she'll actually fit on the floor of the passenger seat!). She flew great but I think she was a little nose heavy -- I think I could get away with moving the CG back a little. Now that she flies, I can experiment.

The Video:
Modded mini ' FunJet ' - Maiden (6 min 22 sec)
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:19 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
wicked ... loved it .

( if you slill have isses with controls at low speed , after you ajust CG ....
try the wing fences , slider had me put some on they can realy help reduce air slipping off/ past wing the wrong way , only if cg change don't fix it )
Old Sep 25, 2010, 01:28 AM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,402 Posts
Very nice flight. I may just have to build one of those...
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Sep 25, 2010, 07:59 AM
Crash it first, Then fly it
The Big Apple
Joined Jul 2008
536 Posts
very cool and fast
Griffindor is offline Find More Posts by Griffindor
Old Sep 25, 2010, 08:40 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,022 Posts
Thanks Guys!

Wing Fences -- I think I may try these, Prime 8! If I put them where I had the original vertical fins (see "lines" on the upper wing surface) -- would that be adequate or should I try more? I'm thinking that if I move the cg back, she can only become less stable with respect to the fins. I am assuming that the fins are more effective the further they are away from the CG. So, the fences may be helpful.

Also, after I got her trimmed for level flight, I noticed that my control surfaces are both deflected about 3/8" up. Is this correct, or does this mean that I am indeed nose heavy? I was thinking that If the wing had some lift to it (KF airloil) that it would fly (maintain level flight) with neutral (0" deflection). Are my assumptions incorrect?
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:27 AM
Crash it first, Then fly it
The Big Apple
Joined Jul 2008
536 Posts
you may be nose heavy a bit
Griffindor is offline Find More Posts by Griffindor
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:16 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
you sound a bit nose heavy .

from what slider told me abou wing fences they do teh mosd good at 50% wing span ,
they need to be a tad ahead of teh LE and wrap un der and over teh wing .

here are soem big ones on a mig ..
Old Sep 25, 2010, 04:35 PM
BOXFUSE KING!
NO WIND CITY GUAM U.S.A
Joined Jan 2009
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
Thanks Guys!

Also, after I got her trimmed for level flight, I noticed that my control surfaces are both deflected about 3/8" up. Is this correct, or does this mean that I am indeed nose heavy? I was thinking that If the wing had some lift to it (KF airloil) that it would fly (maintain level flight) with neutral (0" deflection). Are my assumptions incorrect?
Nice video. It's good that you tell us whats goin on while you're flying your bird. There are few things I notice: (these are just my 2 cents). On your previous post you wanted to build an all around FJ that can do high alphas, slow flights and stuff. The SUREST way to test your cg is to fly your plane INVERTED and you will know where your CG spot on. FIRST: If you notice on my video this mini FJ can hold slow inverted flights with no Ail. correction just a tad bit of DOWN ELEVATOR to keep her tracking straight during inverted flights. That means the CG is spot on. SECOND: I can really slow her down, not to a crawl but 1/4 throttle will maintain her straight flight and not give me any stall surprises. When I do make her crawl all I need to do is throttle half way to get her out of trouble. This means the POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO in spot on....I think your plane is too heavy and/or UNDERPOWER, but thats just my 2cents. NICE FLYI'N THOUGH.

Mayday.
Kronikpilot is offline Find More Posts by Kronikpilot
Old Sep 25, 2010, 05:58 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
mayday whats teh longest you have held a horisontal roll with her ?

can she continiously corkscrew through the air with your setup.

::
i have something scarrier in the secret plans works , very fast should be very responsive but proly not suited to micro but 2x micro.
one of my friends here is building tohme ( sp ) euro fighter , so i'm off that for now. but i had some crazy ideas last night .. evil fun jet well in time for halloween .. heheh
i will build a mini once i finalize teh plans .
mainly ... the evil part .. is forward swept wings .

you can see in these fun jets the wing is just begging for some forward sweep . lol..
off to mad lab ..
Old Sep 25, 2010, 08:32 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday27 View Post
Nice video. It's good that you tell us whats goin on while you're flying your bird. There are few things I notice: (these are just my 2 cents). On your previous post you wanted to build an all around FJ that can do high alphas, slow flights and stuff. The SUREST way to test your cg is to fly your plane INVERTED and you will know where your CG spot on. FIRST: If you notice on my video this mini FJ can hold slow inverted flights with no Ail. correction just a tad bit of DOWN ELEVATOR to keep her tracking straight during inverted flights. That means the CG is spot on. SECOND: I can really slow her down, not to a crawl but 1/4 throttle will maintain her straight flight and not give me any stall surprises. When I do make her crawl all I need to do is throttle half way to get her out of trouble. This means the POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO in spot on....I think your plane is too heavy and/or UNDERPOWER, but thats just my 2cents. NICE FLYI'N THOUGH.

Mayday.
Thanks! Yeah, she ended up being a lot quicker than I thought she would be! Speed and inverted do not do well with me! lol But I will take your suggestion and do the inverted test! I think you may be onto something with the weight though... I reviewed your video and yours does indeed fly like a lighter plane -- with a great speed envelope! I checked out your setup and it is A LOT lighter than mine! you could probably add rudders, flaps, and landing gear and still bbe lighter! Mine on the other hand is bogged down with electronics -- 1000mah 3S lipo! 2 9g servos (all of my 5g's are in other planes!)! 26g motor!, 30A ESC!. I could definitely put this power system on a larger version. I actually thought of putting my e-flite park 250 on this plane... Anyway, even with the strakes, I think I have a pretty high wing loading -- and she flies like a jet. The power is more than adequate -- she will "hover" at 1/2 throttle. In the video, I think I almost stalled her at about 2:48 -- I did exactly as you suggested and throttled out of it. I'm definitely gonna move the CG back now, with all you guy's advise and experience -- it seems that I am definitely nose heavy. I don't think I'll ever get her down to a crawl due to the wingloading, but I may be able to still get the tail to sit a little when I slow her down. I'll report back after I get the cg worked out... also might cut out some fences out of thin plastic...
Old Sep 25, 2010, 08:40 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
keep em light and temp all they do is stop air slipping across the wing . you lost some of that built into the old vert stab position, with your new position .

Slider tells me ~50% down wing is best but i see many jets have am all over & or near LE direction changes , so possibly and the change in LE on this may be the trick .

at any rate it should keep air from slipping of your controll surfaces .
i wonde rif teh KF foil may be making a bigger vortex at slow speed and killing someof your control surface too. hmm i doubt it .
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:00 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,022 Posts
Gotcha! I just read up on the fences, and the stall condition of swept wing aircraft (a nose pitch up) is exactly what happened when I almost stalled her. Definitely gonna add some fences! I will reverence exsisting aircraft for fence locations...
I think the lack of control surface response was just due to lack of airspeed... I am very spoiled in this department, as I am still getting used to true jet-like flight. Several of my other planes have either prop wash or thrust vectoring tabs so even at slow or no speed, they still have some control...
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:06 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
you know having said that .. lol one could at E ch thrust vectoring via hinged motor mount.
LOL
or use 3 ball joints , and run 2 rods over form your elevon servos , they are 9g they should take it . .. hehehe
few of these beasties..
3 to be exact , just like a simple swash plate setup .

Last edited by Prime_8; Sep 25, 2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:23 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,022 Posts
hmmm.... that would add a whole new dimension of fun!!! ...I was only thinking of adding rudders! lol... but could you post the pic again --it's not showing -- I do want to see the T/V setup.....tempting....very tempting...lol