SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:19 AM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
539 Posts
Orvillecopter

Since there's not much "sloping" talk these days, I thought I'd add a 'flying' entry for your enjoyment. My apologies to all you cat lovers
Blessings,
Arlen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...illed-car.html
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise MT View Post
Since there's not much "sloping" talk these days, I thought I'd add a 'flying' entry for your enjoyment. My apologies to all you cat lovers
Blessings,
Arlen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...illed-car.html
All,

Well, I know PMT had TIO in mind when he decided to post the feline quadracopter. I suspect, however, that since he doesn't mind my two cats too much, he has reserved the macabre flying kitty idea for his neighbor's cats.

On a real flying note, TODAY would have been the day to be at TT. A full west wind almost all day, but too many other details to attend to at home. I did get down there yesterday, and about 2:30 P.M., it was as if God turned the switch on: a solid west wind with huge air and the Tobacco Root Mountains as a backdrop. Even though I was alone, I had a fantastic time screaming the Ninja all over the place: up close and far away. A great time. The wind then switched from the northwest (an even better slope), but the threat of lightning and hail forced me to chicken out and head for home.

Sorry you couldn't make it, 69M. I'll be in Washington for the next week and in North Dakota after that with PMT (trying once again to hit the FF famous Williston slope). Hope all is well.

BTID,

TIO
GuiotsBaby is offline Find More Posts by GuiotsBaby
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Feb 2010
539 Posts
Carry In - Carry Out

To all my slope flying friends.....

My brother (TIO) and I had an 'angering' experience yesterday upon our visit to Table Top to meet some friends for some flying. As we were driving parallel to TT on the road that leads to the road going up, TIO and I noticed several items reflecting the sun on the north side of the hill near the top. We weren't sure what it was, but when we reached the top, we drove immediately to that location. Upon looking over the edge down the hill we discovered that someone had unloaded nearly a pickup load of garbage over the side....a variety items including several household garbage items and several pieces from some kind of a particle-board cabinet. Bottom line....TIO and I were both grieved and angered that anyone would do that kind of dirty work on someone else's property. In an effort to make it good for all who use that area, and hopefully gain favor with the land owner, we have made a point of picking up other people's beer bottles and cans, and MacDonalds food bags, and various other garbage left behind and hauling it out. Well, to make a short story longer, we loaded up every bit of that garbage in TIO's pickup and hauled it out.

Now, here's the kicker. While we were loading the garbage into TIO's pickup, another individual drove up in his pickup, (I believe an appointment from on high), and asked what we were doing. We explained that we had been flying our sailplanes off TT for years and have always tried to pickup garbage and haul it out each time there, but today was the first time we found an entire dump. Well...........it turned out that this guy was thee landowner, and he was also upset that someone had dumped their garbage, BUT he was also very grateful that we were picking it up and hauling it out. After a very cordial and friendly discussion about a lot of things, (including his interest in our sailplanes), we asked and received verbal permission to continue flying at TT, (in his words), "especially since we had been, and were picking up the garbage."

On a 'flying' note, the winds were mostly out of the south, which is the worst direction for TT, but we still got a lot of flying in. About 1/2 an hour after our two friends left, the wind totally did a 180 and started coming out of the N/NE. So, TIO and I made a mad dash to the other side and got in some great flying before the sun set.

As I close this lengthy entry, let me ask each one of you who happens to find yourself on Table Top, or any other flying site for that matter, PLEASE make an effort to pack out any garbage you may find laying around. It can only help our sport and add to it's lasting enjoyment.
Blessing!
Arlen
Last edited by Paradise MT; Jun 09, 2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Sp>
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:45 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,547 Posts
The Tofslie Brothers Three are the best!
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:03 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Quote:
To all my slope flying friends.....

My brother (TIO) and I had an 'angering' experience yesterday upon our visit to Table Top to meet some friends for some flying. As we were driving parallel to TT on the road that leads to the road going up, TIO and I noticed several items reflecting the sun on the north side of the hill near the top. We weren't sure what it was, but when we reached the top, we drove immediately to that location. Upon looking over the edge down the hill we discovered that someone had unloaded nearly a pickup load of garbage over the side....a variety items including several household garbage items and several pieces from some kind of a particle-board cabinet. Bottom line....TIO and I were both grieved and angered that anyone would do that kind of dirty work on someone else's property. In an effort to make it good for all who use that area, and hopefully gain favor with the land owner, we have made a point of picking up other people's beer bottles and cans, and MacDonalds food bags, and various other garbage left behind and hauling it out. Well, to make a short story longer, we loaded up every bit of that garbage in TIO's pickup and hauled it out.

Now, here's the kicker. While we were loading the garbage into TIO's pickup, another individual drove up in his pickup, (I believe an appointment from on high), and asked what we were doing. We explained that we had been flying our sailplanes off TT for years and have always tried to pickup garbage and haul it out each time there, but today was the first time we found an entire dump. Well...........it turned out that this guy was thee landowner, and he was also upset that someone had dumped their garbage, BUT he was also very grateful that we were picking it up and hauling it out. After a very cordial and friendly discussion about a lot of things, (including his interest in our sailplanes), we asked and received verbal permission to continue flying at TT, (in his words), "especially since we had been, and were picking up the garbage."

On a 'flying' note, the winds were mostly out of the south, which is the worst direction for TT, but we still got a lot of flying in. About 1/2 an hour after our two friends left, the wind totally did a 180 and started coming out of the N/NE. So, TIO and I made a mad dash to the other side and got in some great flying before the sun set.

As I close this lengthy entry, let me ask each one of you who happens to find yourself on Table Top, or any other flying site for that matter, PLEASE make an effort to pack out any garbage you may find laying around. It can only help our hobby and add to it's lasting enjoyment.
Blessing!
Arlen
Arlen and Wayne,

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR GENEROSITY!!!!! I too enjoy flying there immensely. I would have done the same had I been there, but a huge thank you to you being there and doing what was a most kind gesture and securing this grand place for all of us to continue flying.

My dad instilled in me as a young kid while camping "the only thing you leave behind is your footprints" Words I wish everyone would live by and I am thankful to those that do.

Too bad you couldn't find an address in that trash and turn them in.

Thank you!
Chip
P.S. this is the very reason I carry trash bags in my truck.
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9mustang View Post
Arlen and Wayne,

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR GENEROSITY!!!!!
Too bad you couldn't find an address in that trash and turn them in.

Thank you!
Chip
P.S. this is the very reason I carry trash bags in my truck.
69M, CLIFR, and all,

I'm sitting here in the lobby of a hotel in Seattle (getting ready to head to my neice's college graduation) and thought I'd check the forum.

We actually did find a name in the trash, and when I return next week, I plan to contact the land owner and give him that name along with photographs I took of the garbage lying on the hillside. Perhaps he can follow up with it. At the very minimum, maybe he can convince this person of the folly of such a deed. Seems the cost of driving all the way to TT would be more than a trip to the local landfill. Go figure.

Hmmmmm... it's cloudy and dripping rain out now. Looking forward to getting this I-5 experience over.

Hope this finds you all well.

BTID,

TIO
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Feb 2010
539 Posts
Williston Bound

A few years ago now, my brother TIO and I took a trip to Williston, ND, (not for oil work), but specifically to slope soar at our youngest brother's (Freedom Flyer's) old sloping haunt. The location and layout was perfect, but the entire time we were there, the wind blew 180 OPPOSITE of what we needed, thus basically making for a wasted trip Well, TIO and I are going to bite the bullet and try it again, leaving this Saturday morning (6/16/12). We hope to return in four days and bring back a much better report and lots of pictures this time. Will update soon.
Blessings!
Arlen

P.S. - Pray for me......I'm leaving on my 39th Anniversary!!! (My wife HAS repeatedly stated that she's just fine with this.......providing we can go on a cruise next year for our 40th )
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Feb 2010
539 Posts
Safe Return

Greetings All,
My brother TIO and I returned yesterday from our Slope Soaring adventure to Williston, ND. There were several reasons for making this trip, but the primary one was to fly on a slope that our youngest brother Freedom Flyer flew regularly several years ago. (One of the things you'll see in the pictures is the result of some major flooding last year. If you compare the previous entry pictures to the ones attached, you'll see how the flooding killed a LOT of the greenery on the Missouri River below the bluffs we were flying.)

This time out, the wind did not disappoint, and we got our sloping taste buds satisfied. (I will also say that we returned to Montana with a deeper appreciation for our flying at Table Top.) Our time in Williston brought to pass several events, such as my Coyote snapping off half a wing on a fast and furious dive and banking turn, the need for an ice-pack on my leg due to an unintentional wacking into the side of my leg, and other incidents that I won't post here Unfortunately, we had our trip cut a day short because of a huge storm that came through and dumped well over an inch of rain in a very short time. Consequently, we left Williston and drove south to Grassy Butte, ND to spend the evening with Freedom Flyer who is currently working there. An early morning departure got us home in the early afternoon, and now I'm trying to catch up and rest at the same time. Hope you enjoy the attached pix.
Blessings,
Arlen
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Quote:
Greetings All,
My brother TIO and I returned yesterday from our Slope Soaring adventure to Williston, ND. There were several reasons for making this trip, but the primary one was to fly on a slope that our youngest brother Freedom Flyer flew regularly several years ago.

This time out, the wind did not disappoint, and we got our sloping taste buds satisfied. (I will also say that we returned to Montana with a deeper appreciation for our flying at Table Top.) Our time in Williston brought to pass several events, such as my Coyote snapping off half a wing on a fast and furious dive and banking turn, the need for an ice-pack on my leg due to an unintentional wacking into the side of my leg, and other incidents that I won't post here Blessings,
Arlen
All,

Yes, mea maxima culpa. The Ninja is agile in the air and on the ground. I later clarified to PMT the warning "Heads!" means "all body parts." (Was trying to land quickly after sudden loss of lift near rim.)

Was great to fly my Freedom on the same hill FF flew his Freedom, especially fun because of his Top Gun Freedom video in the mid-80's.

Hope to fill you in on more later.

BTID,

TIO
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:43 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,547 Posts
I am glad you folks had a great time!

Curtis
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Feb 2010
539 Posts
Repaired

To my fellow RC Slope addicts,
Of all the RC slope soaring planes I own and fly, the cheapest made, most often wrecked, and held together by the most epoxy, is also by far my most favorite. I have referred to it often on this forum as my Coyote. I bought it several years ago as an ARF, and have flown it more than any other glider I own. I was flying it on my trip to Williston in a reasonably strong wind, when in the middle of a high speed dive into a high CF upward banking turn, the right wing literally snapped off.

After rescuing it from the cliffs above the Missouri River, I intended to salvage the radio gear, break the rest of it over my knee, and then bury it with fond memories. Well, to make a long story short, my brother TIO would have none of that kind of thinking, so he took the pieces of epoxy home with him. This evening he returned it to me looking nicer and in better shape than when I first assembled it as an ARF. WOW!!! Now, I can hardly wait to give it another maiden voyage at Table Top. Enjoy the attached super bright pictures!!

Thank you TIO! Now I can fly as crazy as I want with my other gliders knowing that I have you "waiting in the wings" - no pun intended.
Blessings!
Arlen
Last edited by Paradise MT; Jun 27, 2012 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Sp.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Quote:
To my fellow RC Slope addicts,
I intended to salvage the radio gear, break the rest of it over my knee...

my brother TIO...took the pieces of epoxy home with him...returned it to me looking nicer and in better shape than when I first assembled it as an ARF. WOW!!!

Thank you TIO! Now I can fly as crazy as I want with my other gliders knowing that I have you "waiting in the wings" - no pun intended.
Blessings!
Arlen

All,

Still can't help chuckling when I think of "breaking the rest of it over my knee." PMT will have to share that story with you when we're at TT some time in the future.

"pieces of epoxy"--Well, it certainly had its share of epoxy, but much of the excess has been removed. Rearranging of radio gear and removing some weight from the empennage made the Coyote about two ounces lighter.

I think the new carbon fiber spar reinforcement will be the only item needed to "wait in the wings." Glad I could help.

Oh, posts #1086 and #1112 on this forum show the Coyote in its previous rendition.

I'm currently reworking the wing wiring on my Ridge Runner. The D-sub connector continuity was intermittent at Williston (and may have been responsible for the near crash that 69M witnessed a few weeks back at TT). Assembly will be a few seconds longer, but connectivity will be solid.

Then it will be a minor repair to the Gentle Lady. Somehow, I tend to try flying it on the wrong TX model, and Williston didn't help me at all. Then today, I knocked my striping tool off the pegboard onto the wing center section. If it isn't pilot incompetence, it's clumsy hangar rash!

Well, gotta run. Mom's friend Margo just sat down next to me at the library, so I'll need to chat with her for a moment.

Always better than I deserve,

TIO
Last edited by GuiotsBaby; Jun 28, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Tt

All,

Got a phone call last night from a friend who encountered some difficulty when leaving TT yesterday. Can't give any details, but I've got to make some calls to make sure flying there is still allowed. Might be a good idea to postpone any planned trips there until we can sort this out. Would be sad to lose access to this great place.

Will try to keep you posted. PM or call me if you need to.

TIO
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:19 AM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiotsBaby View Post
All,

Got a phone call last night from a friend who encountered some difficulty when leaving TT yesterday. Can't give any details, but I've got to make some calls to make sure flying there is still allowed. Might be a good idea to postpone any planned trips there until we can sort this out. Would be sad to lose access to this great place.

Will try to keep you posted. PM or call me if you need to.

TIO
Hey TIO,

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. This would really make me sad.

Thanks,
Chip
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Table Top Restrictions

All,

I spent the better part of Saturday late afternoon/evening driving and tracking down the landowners at TT to try to sort out recent access complications.

I also researched Gallatin County GIS/Clerk and Recorder site to determine how much state and BLM land on which TT may lie. Turns out that the BLM land is to the east, and the state land is just to the west. So it appears all of the slopes we've flown are, indeed, on private land. My sister-in-law works at the Clerk and Recorder's office, so I'll be consulting with her as well.)
You can PM or call me for full details, but in short, here's the story:

The good news? After a half-hour discussion with the landowners, the bottom line is this: I was able to procur permission (with conditions).

The bad news? The permission in written form is for the three brothers and a guest or two--in carpool fashion. It would restrict the number of vehicles allowed to one (maybe two), thus ending any big gathering where folks can just arrive and leave in their own vehicles at anytime.

We'll continue trying to improve relations with the landowners. In the meantime, we'll also continue to look for other slopes as well.

As always, Better Than I Deserve,

TIO
Last edited by GuiotsBaby; Jul 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM.