HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2014, 06:18 PM
United Kingdom, England, Cheltenham
Joined Oct 2013
219 Posts
Discussion
OpenLRS UHF system not good range - beeping early

Hi

I bought the orange OpenLRS 1W tx and orange rx for my turnigy 9x and made a 1/2 dipole for the tx side and a 1/2 wave monopole for the rx hoping for amazingly good range.

Did a ground test and although the servos kept moving solidly for about a mile it still starts having the odd beep on my transmitter module when I just fly my plane LOS which was disappointing.

Is it normal for this to beep so early in flight and do you just keep flying, or do I have a problem?
Maybe I did a really bad job making the antennas or the telemetry backlink isn't strong enough... Should I buy some tuned antennas

Thanks a lot
guyfawkes is offline Find More Posts by guyfawkes
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2014, 07:15 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2014
19 Posts
The module will beep when there is packet loss from the rx on the plane. The rx on the plane is lower power than the Tx module in your controller so although the Tx is losing packets, the Rx might not be. When I first had my openlrs with the stock antennas I would also get the occasional beep flying LOS. I switched my Tx antenna to a readymaderc semi-rigid dipole and the beeping went away entirely.
twentyfoursyc is offline Find More Posts by twentyfoursyc
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:52 PM
Joined Oct 2013
219 Posts
Thank you I was wondering if that was the reason as the rx is only about 100mw. Still it would be good to get rid of the beeping and stress by getting that readymaderc dipole, how much did you get it for?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:49 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,042 Posts
Hi, I made a custom firmware to be able to use two 1W OrangeRX TX in order to create a symetrical link. So far I've gone 12 km with it, but it should allow to go much farther.

(It also works perfectly with APM)

http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site
flipflap is offline Find More Posts by flipflap
Old Aug 29, 2014, 03:35 PM
Joined Oct 2013
219 Posts
That sounds good! I have an APM 2.6 on the plane too
Old Aug 29, 2014, 03:58 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,042 Posts
The you've got the perfect profile !
flipflap is offline Find More Posts by flipflap
Old Aug 30, 2014, 01:22 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2014
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfawkes View Post
Thank you I was wondering if that was the reason as the rx is only about 100mw. Still it would be good to get rid of the beeping and stress by getting that readymaderc dipole, how much did you get it for?
It's $15 and made a big difference.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1615
twentyfoursyc is offline Find More Posts by twentyfoursyc