SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 21, 2014, 07:35 AM
Joined Aug 2014
1 Posts
Question
Some motors louder after bearing replament

I have a quadcopter with those motors and 10x4.7 props. Recently after a crash all the motors produced a grinding sound when turning. I took the quad to a local hobby shop and bought replacement bearings.

I've also asked them to replace the bearings in one of the motors, and I decided to replace to rest myself.After replacing the bearings the grinding sound is gone in all motors. However the ones I replaced are slightly louder than the ones the store staff replaced

How much of a concern is this?
mikh3x4 is offline Find More Posts by mikh3x4
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2014, 02:47 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,380 Posts
How to Replace Brushless Motor Bearings (7 min 50 sec)

You may destroy bearing if you push on inside ring.
Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Mortimer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 5V Power Supply
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:51 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikh3x4 View Post
I have a quadcopter with those motors and 10x4.7 props. Recently after a crash all the motors produced a grinding sound when turning. I took the quad to a local hobby shop and bought replacement bearings.

I've also asked them to replace the bearings in one of the motors, and I decided to replace to rest myself.After replacing the bearings the grinding sound is gone in all motors. However the ones I replaced are slightly louder than the ones the store staff replaced

How much of a concern is this?
Did you ube the bearings? Or did the shop lube the ones they installed? A lot of new bearings do not arrive pre-lubricated.

And on the noisy one, if you can run it slowly and press on the end of the shaft, first from the top and then from the back or circlip end, if the noise goes away that will usually let you tell if you have a damaged race or balls.

Like Mortimer said, all the pushing forces to seat the bearing have to go on the outer race, never on the inner race. In most cases laying a flat washer on the bearing to press it in will do it without putting any pressure on the inner race.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes