HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2014, 01:53 PM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2007
201 Posts
Build Log
Armageddon FAI Combat Ship

Greetings fellow builders and pilots! I just wanted to share something I did a few months ago mainly because I thought it looked kool! Lord knows I'm not sure if I can fly it but my burden is .... I love to build so this is what came out of the pile of wood and shavings!! To begin, I found the plans for this from one of the posts of control line plans #677. I don't know much about F.A.I. combat or even combat in general but as I said, it looked kool so I downloaded the plans and after making the templates, headed for the wood pile and spun up the saw!
propaplace is offline Find More Posts by propaplace
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2014, 02:48 PM
United States, PA, Windsor
Joined Jan 2010
369 Posts
Where is your Kevlar and carbon fiber? My buddy buys pre-built F2D ships from Ukraine. Very high tech. These guys crash fairly often and bring a few to a meet.
I am going to start with some speed limit combat wings from Phil Cartier. They are foam and very sturdy. The F2D engine runs at 32,000 RPM and the ship is ungodly fast.
army_eod is offline Find More Posts by army_eod
Old Jun 15, 2014, 05:52 PM
Joined Jan 2007
201 Posts
L.O.L.!! Kevlar??? Carbon??? On my budget??? The way I fly??? Using a Fox .25??? L.O.L.!! You're a nice guy and I like ya' but I'm a "scrap" builder ... white pine, leftover door skins, construction site residues, old bed sheets, tee shirts and so forth!! R.O.T.F.L.!!
Old Jun 15, 2014, 05:57 PM
United States, PA, Windsor
Joined Jan 2010
369 Posts
He uses some Ukranian made engine. Pretty awesome.
army_eod is offline Find More Posts by army_eod
Old Jun 15, 2014, 07:51 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,396 Posts
The kevlar is just a cheap thread, I have an older one with no carbon fiber, and it flies just as good and may be better in a crash, arguably. easier to reglue anyway. You can see where I patched this one. Have fun building it, make a dozen for spares after you test it out. Bedsheets??? I have noticed that the .25 motors seem to hit harder when they crash. A .15 on 52' lines is pretty quick for anything but a serious match. Even an LA will get many people into trouble. Either way, it is still a hoot.
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed
Last edited by aspeed; Jun 15, 2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:38 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,450 Posts
Good luck with that. If you build it out of those materials and then use an old heavy .25 instead of the light very powerful .15 it's intended for it's anyone's guess what it will fly like. But it certainly won't be nearly as fast as a normal F2D model, which is probably a good thing .

If you do get it flying let us know how it goes.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 16, 2014, 07:14 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by army_eod View Post
Where is your Kevlar and carbon fiber? My buddy buys pre-built F2D ships from Ukraine. Very high tech. These guys crash fairly often and bring a few to a meet.
I am going to start with some speed limit combat wings from Phil Cartier. They are foam and very sturdy. The F2D engine runs at 32,000 RPM and the ship is ungodly fast.
I'm going to really give away my age now. When I last flew any 15-size planes in any kind of combat, the Cox Conquest was competitive. The rules for F2D always seemed frustratingly complex and contrary. I liked the plain and simple American rules, not counting those for "AMA Slow".

For Speed Limit Combat, I preferred OS Max 25s, different models for different speed variations, but not including the LA 25. I usually ran 8-4s at whichever the timed speed was, to equalize the speeds between level and while turning. Instead of the F2D type rpms, I was getting around 20,000 or so.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:52 AM
Joined Jan 2007
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
The kevlar is just a cheap thread, I have an older one with no carbon fiber, and it flies just as good and may be better in a crash, arguably. easier to reglue anyway. You can see where I patched this one. Have fun building it, make a dozen for spares after you test it out. Bedsheets??? I have noticed that the .25 motors seem to hit harder when they crash. A .15 on 52' lines is pretty quick for anything but a serious match. Even an LA will get many people into trouble. Either way, it is still a hoot.
L.O.L.!! I was only messing! I know what those items are but if someone hits me .... it's like a corvette versus a brick wall!! r.o.t.f.l.!! Nah, jus' kidding! Today I bribed my flying buddy to take it up for its first flight and it was quite a thrill of course he was worried about what it was going to do. Anyway it flew very well with the engine set just on the rich side. I figure the speed was in the 50-60 mph range and seemed to fly for quite a while on the 2 ounce Brodak Uniflow tank. We'll probably tweak the needle to peak on our next session.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:08 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,352 Posts
If you're more into sport flying and want a combat style model that'll look a little different and which is still easy to build check out the Ruter-ess.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2602

For a Fox 25 you'll want to add some packing in behind the leading edge since the engine will want to be set back a little. Otherwise this is a light enough build that it'll come out nose heavy and sluggish as a result.

Or another option is to take the plan and scale it up slightly from the original 35 inch span to a size which makes it 36 inches across the span of the main portion and something like 39 inch span with the tips added. That'll give you a little added wing area to carry the higher weight of the .25 Fox.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:08 PM
Joined Jan 2007
201 Posts
Here's another set of photos of the construction process for this plane. It looked like the motor mounts beams could have been made from aluminum and bolted to the fuselage body but having never seen one I decided against trying to do that. Besides, if it survives !! I used a product called Oracover, made in England, I believe. It's a roll of pre-painted fabric that I won in a fun-fly about 10 or 12 years ago and I decided to do something with it. I coated all of the wood surfaces with Sig Stix-it to make sure I had a good adhesion. Bottom line, it was a fun build.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:00 AM
Joined Jan 2007
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
If you're more into sport flying and want a combat style model that'll look a little different and which is still easy to build check out the Ruter-ess.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2602

For a Fox 25 you'll want to add some packing in behind the leading edge since the engine will want to be set back a little. Otherwise this is a light enough build that it'll come out nose heavy and sluggish as a result.

Or another option is to take the plan and scale it up slightly from the original 35 inch span to a size which makes it 36 inches across the span of the main portion and something like 39 inch span with the tips added. That'll give you a little added wing area to carry the higher weight of the .25 Fox.
Hey there! Thanks for the link; it looks like a pretty neat design and I just might give it a shot.