SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:15 PM
Tyndall AFB FL
Joined Oct 2009
169 Posts
Bought a Slicko as my first 3d foamie. Having perviously only flown 3DHS balsa for 3d. I love this thing! It is so convenient to be able to walk out my front door and fly in the street. My practice time has more than doubled. Very, very pleased.
Pesty351 is online now Find More Posts by Pesty351
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:48 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Wish I was flying AND still had my rental.
No color scheme yet, but it will be minimal. Just enough to help with orientation. Decided to go with orange, white and a little black for my first paint job. Pics to follow.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:30 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesty351 View Post
Bought a Slicko as my first 3d foamie. Having perviously only flown 3DHS balsa for 3d. I love this thing! It is so convenient to be able to walk out my front door and fly in the street. My practice time has more than doubled. Very, very pleased.
Great, glad you're having fun with it! Colors look really vibrant. Do you have plastic over the cutouts in the fuse?
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:35 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Started painting yesterday. A few words to the wise when using spray cans
1) make sure if you use painters tape to mask, when throwing a bit of heat on to dry you make sure the tape is still sticking when you start painting again to prevent over spray under the tape
2) speaking of overspray, if you don't want paint on other parts, move them out of the area. I have a nice orange tint to all my parts and extra foam sheets. Barely noticeable, but I know it's there. Should be fine once I paint them tho'. Worse case I can say I meant to have a slight orange hue.
3) cheaper is not always best. I tried to save a couple dollars on black paint because I figured I wouldn't be using much. Well, the nozzle is garbage, the paint spatters some times, most times it was so misty it took a lot of passes to cover. Pure garbage. Hey, lesson learned.
Going to pick up some more Rustoleum today. That has worked pretty well.
Sorry I forgot the pics. I'll post later.

Oh, another thing, I obviously haven't built the plane yet, but I can tell this one should be nice. It's bigger and longer than my other 32" plane. The rudder is HUGE, matter of fact so are the ailerons in comparison.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:54 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Prop balancer

Not sure if this is the right place, but where can I get a good prop balancer? What do they usually go for? I want to stock up on props for this bird and read somewhere I should always check/balance prop.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:51 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,158 Posts
Ahhh, prop balancers....the best is magnetic like the Top Flite Power Point. It uses a steel shaft supported between two magnets, and two sliding cones that center the prop on the shaft. Problem is the shaft is .125" ( 1/8th. inch ) and it is too big to balance the smaller props with smaller holes. We need a new balancer with a smaller shaft...say under 3mm.

It also seems like the prop savers on motors need some refining also as most are a poor design, or are out of size to fit the prop correctly, or not fit some props at all.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:09 PM
Tyndall AFB FL
Joined Oct 2009
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
Do you have plastic over the cutouts in the fuse?
No there open holes. It still holds KE just fine. I was having a little issue with it being tail heavy so instead of adding weight up front I wanted to get rid of weight in the tail.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:18 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Landing gear or no?

Trying to decide on whether I want to install the landing gear. I mostly fly over grass. I have landing gear on my current bird so I just harrier in like a boss!

Has anyone found positive and negatives with the landing gear on this bird, besides the obvious (belly landing causes flips with gear or can't take off from ground without)? Has anyone installed and then removed? Or vice versa?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,998 Posts
Currently flying mine without gear. Pros and cons.. gear looks cool,if flying indoors or off smooth surfaces you can take off and land. Cons.. adds 6 grams or .2 oz of weight,additional drag,can affect tracking slightly.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:59 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
So, I'm probably going with NO gear. I'm painting mine so that wil add to weight. But the gear sure does look cool:
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:04 PM
Tyndall AFB FL
Joined Oct 2009
169 Posts
Hand launch it and catch it to land it. Like a boss. lol
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:08 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,158 Posts
Does anybody have the kit with the wood wing spar ? have you / can you weigh it and measure the size for me. What type of wood is it ? do I ask too many questions ?
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:13 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
My first paint job on my 1st new Slicko

My first rattle can paint job. My son and I just threw some ideas around, no plans, just threw down some masking and this is what we came up with. Nothing on the bottom. Was hoping to keep weight down as much as possible.

If after flight I see (or don't see it ) I need something on the bottom, it will be minimal.

Now, on to the build today. Hopefully some video this week.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:06 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Some pics of mine.
RC Planes and Trucks look really good together! That lawn chair and the Slicko really show the scale of your 5ive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
Does anybody have the kit with the wood wing spar ? have you / can you weigh it and measure the size for me. What type of wood is it ? do I ask too many questions ?
Howdy maxxnut! The wood is basswood and the spar is 8g-8.5g and 1/8" x 3/8" x 29". It is a bit more than twice as heavy as the 5mm x .6mm x 29" carbon flat spar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
My first rattle can paint job. My son and I just threw some ideas around, no plans, just threw down some masking and this is what we came up with. Nothing on the bottom. Was hoping to keep weight down as much as possible.

If after flight I see (or don't see it ) I need something on the bottom, it will be minimal.

Now, on to the build today. Hopefully some video this week.
Nice work on your first paint job! I really like the scheme. Hope the build is going well, post any questions should you have them.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's