SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:23 PM
Japan, Kanagawa Prefecture, Yokosuka
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
New (but old) flyer self-introduction

I was a nitro control line flyer as a teen and tried to teach myself R/C on self built nitros back then but only crashed a lot and finally had to sell my equipment (Futaba 6 channel) to pay debts. I've been busy with life for about 25 years (coincidentally, I will celebrate my 25th wedding anniversary this year) :-) but I decided to get back into R/C planes recently when I saw how much electronics have come down in price. This time I will go electric and I have ordered the DX5e / Phoenix simulator combo from HobbyKing.

My biggest challenge is that I live in Japan permanently so no AMA clubs around. I do speak Japanese pretty well so I will try to find a Japanese club but so far I don't see any around my area. (although it seems that if I drive 90 or 120 min north-west to the Shonan area clubs abound). I'm in Yokosuka, just south-west of the giant megalopolis of Tokyo/Yokohama and there are not many big fields around. However I have found some farmland about 30 min south in this peninsula that may become my flight area. Wind is a problem here but there are a few calm days ever now and then. I may go micro and indoor if necessary but I would prefer to get a nice big trainer like the Bixler or a variant.

I'm posting this big rant on the off chance that there is another soul in Japan, hopefully in Kanagawa-ken, who also has the bug for planes. It's always more fun with a buddy. I really appreciate this forum. It has already helped immensely. Best regards to all!

-Ray Mercer
Yokosuka, Japan
raymer is offline Find More Posts by raymer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:59 AM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
Hi Ray,

I happened to peek this Japan forum and found your post. Welcome back to flying!
Finding flight area, especially for large or nitro plane is a challenge. Many fliers go to park early morning to fly electric. I live in Chiba, near Disneyland. There used to be open area where we can fly nitro but no more. I am driving 50km to the field every weekend. Like Yokosuka, it is very windy here close to Tokyo bay. You will soon get used to fly in the wind.

You are lucky you are close to 1 of the best 2 seaside slope gliding areas in Tokyo. You can drive down to Jyoga-shima and see there. Slope flying may not be so popular but once you find the fun, you are all set.

They have web site. They like to fly high wind. Flying season is just starting. I am sure you can find flyers there on south wind days.
http://www.geocities.jp/pikachuhonpo02/
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ka_yoshimoto

Location should be around south ridge of Jyogashima park.

Satoru
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:36 PM
Japan, Kanagawa Prefecture, Yokosuka
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Hi Satoru,
Thank you so much for the reply! I guess we are just on the other side of Tokyo Bay from each other. I looked through your blog here and I was very impressed. Are you doing helicopters these days or do you still fly electric planes?

It is encouraging to hear that there are flyers in Japan even with the limited space and strong winds. I know Jougashima well - in fact I was just there a few days ago with my wife for lunch. I will search for the slope fliers you mentioned. Have you done any slope flying yourself? I had thought it might be possible here but I have to confess that flying over the ocean terrifies me because, so far, I have never had a crash-free flight :-)

I have ordered a Phoenix simulater / DX5e combo from Horizon Hobbies but they are very slow in shipping to me. They don't like the fact that I used a military address for shipping and my U.S. visa card has a Japanese shipping address. I hope they ship soon - I ordered on April 1st and called them yesterday and they still have not shipped. I want to start practicing on the simulator before I attempt to fly again.

Once I get good on the sim I will either attempt to fly on the farmland in Miura somewhere with a foamie trainer/glider like the Bixler. Or I might have to go micro and look for a gymnasium if there are no friendly farmers here. I don't think I'd better start off with slope gliding!

Thanks again for introducing yourself. If you are ever in this area please let me know.
よろしく
-Ray
raymer is offline Find More Posts by raymer
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:08 AM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
Hi Ray,

Good to hear you know Jougashima well. Please let me know here or by PM if you cannot locate them. I started to fly slope a few years ago at Isonezaki (near Futtsu in Chiba, the other best seaside slope by Tokyo bay) It is a bit too far for me to go frequently but it is like a heaven when I get a good condition.
You do not need expensive glider to fly slope. My favorite is R2Hobbies Speedo 1200 1.2m. You can get it low price quick from Hong Kong R2hobbies here.

I fly only electric but planes are getting bigger. Flew up to 90 class, 8s pattern planes. Recently started multi copter which is very new. (not a heli but flies like it and easier to repair, can fly quiet in small space.) Thermal glider is also fun. You can buy or import 1.2m - 2.0m motor gliders and can fly at park or farm land (but soon rice field will have water... )

You are also lucky for indoor flight. This group is holding flight meeting regularly at school gymnasium around Zushi area. I know they are friendly people so you might want to contact them to visit and see.
http://www.mimei.jp/~nishiyama/indoor.htm

Slope flight is not so difficult at right condition. Landing is always a challenge but it seems Jougashima has more space to land. Veteran fliers throw very expensive 3-4 m span scale gliders from the edge of cliff. I am not spending much there yet.

Starting from glider type of plane is a good idea. Pusher type motor glider such as Bixer should be good to learn. Many of my friends like Phoenix 2000 motor glider as a good low cost thermal/slope glider. You can get it from Hong Kong or at local mail order house about the same cost.

Good luck with Horizon hobby shipment. So you can save oversea shipping cost with FPO? I had a friend who grew up at Yokota AFB and heard about it.

Please feel free to contact me any time where I can help.

Thanks!

Satoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymer View Post
Hi Satoru,
Thank you so much for the reply! I guess we are just on the other side of Tokyo Bay from each other. I looked through your blog here and I was very impressed. Are you doing helicopters these days or do you still fly electric planes?

It is encouraging to hear that there are flyers in Japan even with the limited space and strong winds. I know Jougashima well - in fact I was just there a few days ago with my wife for lunch. I will search for the slope fliers you mentioned. Have you done any slope flying yourself? I had thought it might be possible here but I have to confess that flying over the ocean terrifies me because, so far, I have never had a crash-free flight :-)

I have ordered a Phoenix simulater / DX5e combo from Horizon Hobbies but they are very slow in shipping to me. They don't like the fact that I used a military address for shipping and my U.S. visa card has a Japanese shipping address. I hope they ship soon - I ordered on April 1st and called them yesterday and they still have not shipped. I want to start practicing on the simulator before I attempt to fly again.

Once I get good on the sim I will either attempt to fly on the farmland in Miura somewhere with a foamie trainer/glider like the Bixler. Or I might have to go micro and look for a gymnasium if there are no friendly farmers here. I don't think I'd better start off with slope gliding!

Thanks again for introducing yourself. If you are ever in this area please let me know.
よろしく
-Ray
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:24 AM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymer View Post
This time I will go electric and I have ordered the DX5e / Phoenix simulator combo from HobbyKing.
Where do you find this? I was looking into a flight simulator, but not many sell those to Japan (or abroad for that matter) or, if purchased in Japan, are way more expensive than an import ever would be. That or you end up with a Japanese user interface, which would be sub-optimal for me. So I'll instead buy those in Europe when I go there next summer.
HK having those would be great though as I end up buying stuff from them anyway.

BTW, I live in the west of Tokyo (Tama-shi). Us three (you, raymer and me) won't have many chances to meet as we seem to try to stay away from the city center as much as possible
Hkubota is offline Find More Posts by Hkubota
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
Hi Ray! My name is Ray too. There is a pretty large flying area here at Sagami Depot. This is where I usually fly (I live here). There are a few folks that fly out here one guy I met was actually from Yokusuka. I was told that there is a club out in Kamesaya NAS (now closed).
Im new to this hobby and flying a trainer also. I have the Firebird Stratos from hobby zone. Its awsome to train on!
Malinois1 is offline Find More Posts by Malinois1
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:28 AM
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
HKubota,

I'm not far from TAMA.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:34 AM
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
Ray,

take a look at the Firbird Stratos from Hobby Zone. Its a nice plane for training (has Virtual instructor). I'm having a blast flying it. Its got great reviews as well.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:58 AM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinois1 View Post
I'm not far from TAMA.
Sagamihara is just around the corner!
Where you fly, any heli/multirotor pilots? Are there regular or semi-regular "meeting days"? How many people are there?

Harald
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:17 AM
Englishman in Japan
Takasaki, Gunma, Japan
Joined Nov 2003
465 Posts
If you ever come up to Gunma, you are welcome to come and fly at our club field.
Lots of space
Spadkun is offline Find More Posts by Spadkun
Last edited by Spadkun; Jul 26, 2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:18 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
Looks like I need to bookmark this thread
I am a new flyer, trainer electric (Bixler2) and multicopter. I have a lot to learn !
I'd love to meet some of you guys around
Alain
alainphoto is offline Find More Posts by alainphoto
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:05 AM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alainphoto View Post
I'd love to meet some of you guys around
So...where you live? Me, I'm in Tama-shi west of Tokyo.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:37 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
I am in Tokyo, Akabane
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:56 AM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alainphoto View Post
I am in Tokyo, Akabane
So I take it you fly in the river area? I cannot see anything else and since it's basically city, I guess parks are only ok before 8:00 or after 21:00? If at all.

Harald
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:14 PM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
Yes, I train at the Arakawa river nearby. The banks of the river are used for golf course, baseball fields etc ... when the baseball players go away, and before sun is down, I have a bit of time with no one and gigantic space for crashes

Where do you fly ?