HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 01, 2010, 01:44 PM
Registered User
edwong3's Avatar
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Starting to "get up there"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfisher View Post
Well I have 50 flights on mine, Seems to be ok. will I hit a 100? Time will tell.
Today is one week since I got my 107, and it will be hitting it's 25th flight within the next 2 flights.

I'm very happy with the battery run time as I can fly it for over 5 minutes and still have plenty of juice left. When I do that, it does take quite a while to charge it back up with the yellow USB charge cord.

I am going to shoot for 50 flights like you by next Friday. Reaching 100 flights would make me feel like I got more than my money's worth, but I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2010, 02:07 PM
Nice day for RC'ing
Redfisher's Avatar
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
The first 50 come fast, Then it takes longer for the second 50. Well for me anyways..
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2010, 09:06 PM
Registered User
edwong3's Avatar
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
25!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfisher View Post
The first 50 come fast, Then it takes longer for the second 50. Well for me anyways..
I've now got 25 flights on my red S107. I am going to pick up the pace for the next 25!

Happy flying,
Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2010, 09:30 PM
Nice day for RC'ing
Redfisher's Avatar
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
Think I will do number 51 right now.
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:37 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2010
1 Posts
Just got my first s107. Wow, very impressed. Right out of the box I was able to go across the room and back, then land. Guess I got a good one

I'm limiting myself to 4min flights; that might be kinda conservative, especially considering I'm willing to change a battery here and there. But that does leave 1/3 left, if 6-7 minutes is a full drain of the battery. Think I heard that as a recommendation somewhere.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a larger coaxial, that could fly outdoor (so radio not IR), and can carry one of the those keychain video cameras (0.5oz)? Feel free to email me (or reply to the thread? Don't know how kosher that is here).

Great forum from what I've read. I'm hooked!

Steve
geokite is offline Find More Posts by geokite
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2010, 11:43 PM
Is it charged-up yet?
Tom DB's Avatar
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2010
85 Posts
Welcome geokite. I bought a T-Series from XHeli a while back, it was my first heli and not too bad for the price. It's a little too large for living room flying, so I only fly it outdoors on VERY calm days. There are some forum reviews here and here you should read before making any decisions.

The truth is that coaxial helis just don't handle wind very well, and FP (fixed pitch) is only a little better. Many CP (collective pitch) helis can handle some wind, but there is a very steep learning curve you'll need to struggle with before you are zipping around your backyard with one of those. I've been looking at the Walkera CB180Z as a possible outdoor flyer, Wow Hobbies even has a "Pro Wind-Rider" version, and the standard model has had some good reviews in the forum, though personally I'm going to hold off on getting one for now.

My advice (and I should point out I'm still a newbie) is to enjoy your S107, maybe get a second one, and take your time reading the forum(s) learning as much as you can before you make your next big purchase. You have a lot of options, give it some thought and make an informed decision as to what you really want to do next, how much you want to spend and how much effort you want to put into this hobby. Getting a S107 was a no-brainer, its a great little heli anyone can fly. But stepping up to the next level isn't going to be as simple, especially if you want to fly outdoors during anything other than a dead-calm day. Good luck with your search.

PS. I also have one of those keychain video cams (an 808 #3) but haven't flown it. One problem with using these cams on most low-cost helis is vibration, which really hurts the picture quality. One of the reasons I got the T-Series was to fly the cam, but I've had second thoughts about it. Maybe someday when conditions are just right I'll give it a try.
Tom DB is offline Find More Posts by Tom DB
Last edited by Tom DB; Oct 02, 2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Added PS
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2010, 01:20 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,687 Posts
I did some weighing of my both S107's and found that the rev 5 is 0.3 grams heavier.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2010, 01:31 AM
Is it charged-up yet?
Tom DB's Avatar
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2010
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
I did some weighing of my both S107's and found that the rev 5 is 0.3 grams heavier.
I would have guessed the R5 to be slightly lighter. If I can find my scale I'll see what mine are weighing in at.

BTW, have you looked at the batteries to see if they are different? That is part of the reason I thought the R5 would be slightly lighter due to a lower rated battery.
Tom DB is offline Find More Posts by Tom DB
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2010, 01:31 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,382 Posts
Tom is one of our most coherent 'new' contributors. Thanks for joining us, Tom.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2010, 01:46 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom DB View Post
I would have guessed the R5 to be slightly lighter. If I can find my scale I'll see what mine are weighing in at.

BTW, have you looked at the batteries to see if they are different? That is part of the reason I thought the R5 would be slightly lighter due to a lower rated battery.
I didn't take the canopy off. My rev 3 bird flies so nicely I hesitate to tinker with it in any way.


Btw, I also noticed a difference in charging. On my rev 3 the light in the USB charger come on very bright when the battery is full, the same brightness as when the heli is not connected. But on the rev 5 the light sort of starts shimmering when the battery is full. Hard to see sometimes, but it's some sort of state between full bright, and off.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2010, 04:14 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Well, I've passed the 100+ flights mark on at least 3 out of my 4 S107's (I bought the first ones about 4-5 months ago now). Still running fine.

Interestingly enough, the very first one I bought I ran the battery absolutely flat 2 or 3 times at first (not knowing any better), with not enough juice left to even spin the blades yet it's still going perfectly - I can only assume there was a low voltage cut-off on the pcb or, if not, then I was lucky. I fly them now for about 3 mins max though.

For those in the UK, Red5 shop have dropped their prices from 30 to 25, which is what they were when I first bought mine.
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2010, 05:41 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,544 Posts
Anyone seen this behavior?

When throttle is initially applied, my S107 Rev3 turns the rotors but doesn't power-up enough to lift off. So I cut the throttle, and then reapply it -- and she takes off with full power just like she's brand new.

Everything else is good. Approximately 100 flights of 2-4 minutes.
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2010, 07:04 AM
Nice day for RC'ing
Redfisher's Avatar
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
Tom is one of our most coherent 'new' contributors. Thanks for joining us, Tom.
What are you saying about the rest of us?
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2010, 07:05 AM
Nice day for RC'ing
Redfisher's Avatar
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron25 View Post
Well, I've passed the 100+ flights mark on at least 3 out of my 4 S107's (I bought the first ones about 4-5 months ago now). Still running fine.

Interestingly enough, the very first one I bought I ran the battery absolutely flat 2 or 3 times at first (not knowing any better), with not enough juice left to even spin the blades yet it's still going perfectly - I can only assume there was a low voltage cut-off on the pcb or, if not, then I was lucky. I fly them now for about 3 mins max though.

For those in the UK, Red5 shop have dropped their prices from 30 to 25, which is what they were when I first bought mine.
100 flights is awesome, thats around 25 cents a flight.
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2010, 07:06 AM
Nice day for RC'ing
Redfisher's Avatar
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geokite View Post
Just got my first s107. Wow, very impressed. Right out of the box I was able to go across the room and back, then land. Guess I got a good one

I'm limiting myself to 4min flights; that might be kinda conservative, especially considering I'm willing to change a battery here and there. But that does leave 1/3 left, if 6-7 minutes is a full drain of the battery. Think I heard that as a recommendation somewhere.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a larger coaxial, that could fly outdoor (so radio not IR), and can carry one of the those keychain video cameras (0.5oz)? Feel free to email me (or reply to the thread? Don't know how kosher that is here).

Great forum from what I've read. I'm hooked!

Steve
Not hard to get "Hooked" on these little toys.
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale 3-channel Micro IR S107 Metal HoneyBee Helicopter No.ES0107 (with Gyro) mictopwin Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 8 May 09, 2011 01:47 PM
Discussion V-max .vs. Falcon-X .vs. Syma 3 S107? 7immy Mini Helis 12 Apr 07, 2011 04:11 PM
Discussion Mosquito 3CH Radio Control Helicopter Version 2 by Syma Wayno-san Micro Ready-to-Fly 39 Dec 26, 2010 02:36 PM