SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2014, 01:04 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall View Post
Pretty cool davereap! I never thought to get into those microkites. They would be perfect for our indoor flying.
they do tend to make a lighter model, than say depron would, and lighter flies better, the frame work is far tougher than depron for mid airs and collisions.. the only damages they get is from mid airs splitting the plastic film, and that is easily sorted with some sticky tape
the downside is CF being more expensive than depron, but for the micro size models its not going to use a lot of rods..
5mm EPP is a better material for serious damage resistance on the small indoor models, it is a bit heavier than 3mm depron, but not significantly so, however it is a fair bit heavier than the CF builds..
with CF builds it is more difficult to build complicated, conventional shapes, but simple shapes like the nutball are relatively easy

here is a conventional shape an F3P using a CF frame.. the latest superlight idea
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Nov 20, 2014 at 01:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2014, 04:54 PM
Joined Oct 2009
185 Posts
Where do you guys get your landing gear for these? Mine's almost ready for its maiden (10"....switched Rx to a nightvapor brick powering a UMX P-51 motor....probably overkill, but we'll see....heh). I glued on a extra set of landing gear from my uberlites, but it seems pretty flimsy and doubt it will hold up on any sort of hard landing. Figured I'd ask here first thx
vinsonj is online now Find More Posts by vinsonj
Old Nov 20, 2014, 06:56 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,147 Posts
I made my wheels from EPP foam, bubble-pack plastic for the hubs, and rubber bands for the treads. One thing to keep in mind is that the ESC on the Vapor brick was designed for a motor that is much smaller than the P51 motor. The Vapor motor is 1.9 grams and the Mustang motor is 4.9 grams. Hopefully it can handle the extra amp draw.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Nov 20, 2014, 07:43 PM
Flying Foamies
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Jun 2012
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
they do tend to make a lighter model, than say depron would, and lighter flies better, the frame work is far tougher than depron for mid airs and collisions.. the only damages they get is from mid airs splitting the plastic film, and that is easily sorted with some sticky tape
the downside is CF being more expensive than depron, but for the micro size models its not going to use a lot of rods..
5mm EPP is a better material for serious damage resistance on the small indoor models, it is a bit heavier than 3mm depron, but not significantly so, however it is a fair bit heavier than the CF builds..
with CF builds it is more difficult to build complicated, conventional shapes, but simple shapes like the nutball are relatively easy

here is a conventional shape an F3P using a CF frame.. the latest superlight idea
true. On my most recent build my buddy ask to put the CF on the plane . Even if it cost more . We ended up with a plane stronger than needed to be.

having a 3lb dumbel on top dint warp the wing though the model weighs less than 350g
speedactyl is offline Find More Posts by speedactyl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PX34- mini Camera plane
Old Nov 21, 2014, 07:47 PM
High Tech Red Neck
United States, IL, Lawrenceville
Joined Nov 2011
1,908 Posts
Since some of us aren't blessed with a indoor flying area during the cold months,I thought I would get a few flights in today! When I left the house for Fractured Foamy Field there was a 5 mph breeze. Once I got to the field I realized it was much more windy than it was at the house. Flying in the wind makes for good practice,and really "hones" your flying skills! The heavier battery is definatley the way to go on windy days! Save the 2 cells for calm days,or late evening flights,or putti'n around the gym!
The Nut Ball on 2 and 3 S (6 min 55 sec)
Ron_Dog is online now Find More Posts by Ron_Dog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Alias,a Love,Hate,Affair!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:43 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,341 Posts
NutBall music too................
goldguy is online now Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Yesterday, 05:56 AM
High Tech Red Neck
United States, IL, Lawrenceville
Joined Nov 2011
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy View Post
NutBall music too................
Yeah,the Music fit's the Nut Ball's personality!
Ron_Dog is online now Find More Posts by Ron_Dog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Alias,a Love,Hate,Affair!
Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsonj View Post
Where do you guys get your landing gear for these? Mine's almost ready for its maiden (10"....switched Rx to a nightvapor brick powering a UMX P-51 motor....probably overkill, but we'll see....heh). I glued on a extra set of landing gear from my uberlites, but it seems pretty flimsy and doubt it will hold up on any sort of hard landing. Figured I'd ask here first thx
Ive been using this landing gear build for a while.. you can make it smaller or bigger for different size models..
With EPP you make a laminated triangle which holds the motor mount and landing gear.. a 4 layer block is good...
The legs are crossed and bound CF rods and they are sewed on to ply plates then CA is used to fix the thread...when you bind the X use the triangle block to set the angles.. again CA fixes the thread bindings
An axel goes across the legs to hold the wheels
The assembly is cool melt glued to the EPP sides on the triangle..
A ply plate is used to hold the motor mount, this is glued to the front..
The EPP block is bouncy , it will take impacts from heavy landings, the legs need to be strong enough not to break..
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Today at 01:59 AM.