SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 12, 2005, 01:43 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1 Posts
Question
Advice Needed !!

Hey guys,

I am in need of some advice. I would like to get started with building and flying R/C airplanes, but I am not sure where to start. What kind of a model should I start off with? Where would I look for training on how to fly?

Thank for all you help.
komil13 is offline Find More Posts by komil13
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2005, 02:22 PM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,868 Posts
Browse around here for advice on trainer type models.

Where in the world you live may influence both the model type and how best to get local help. Your local hobby store should be able to provide you with a list of model flying clubs in your area.

Best training aid these days is a computer simulator. Crash as many times as you need to without having to repair anything, then go and try the real thing.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Jul 14, 2005, 04:38 PM
Dad of 4.
wadsworth,Ohio
Joined Jul 2005
51 Posts
you might want 2 start with electric,its less expensive and i think easyto fly. sims are great to.
xe2pilot is offline Find More Posts by xe2pilot
Old Jul 14, 2005, 08:27 PM
Blissfield, Michigan
Joined Apr 2005
1,100 Posts
Check out Towerhobbies.com for a trainer type plane and you should also find a club near you so you can learn to fly with help as it can cost you way to much to try to learn alone! Check out www.modelaircraft.org for more info about a club in your area!
Maineiac63 is offline Find More Posts by Maineiac63
Old Jul 15, 2005, 09:59 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,153 Posts
Before you buy anything, make a few visits to one of the local clubs and introduce yourself. You will get to see first hand what various models are like and get some good inputs from the active flyers. They may even have a club trainer or two with buddy boxes that they will let you try out.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Jul 15, 2005, 01:13 PM
In Massive Debt
Northampton Massachussetts
Joined Jun 2005
2,001 Posts
Xe2pilot:
1. Good electrics are more expensive then gas.
2. Small electric trainer types, tend to be twitchy in the air.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I would also suggest looking at towerhobbies. First look at some of the clubs around you, and get to know some of the instructors. He will recomend a plane for you to look at. Most planes come as ARFS(almost ready to fly) Which mean you need to buy the radio, and engine, and install them on the plane. Or, you can also buy a RTF(ready to fly) plane such as a a alpha 40, or alpha 60 by hangar 9. They come complete with a radio and engine already installed. Their is also the Hobbico Nexstar wich is also a RTF.

Some other things you will need to buy with the plane, is a fieldbox. You can buy a prebuilt one, or a kit. You will need a power panel. You willl need a 12 volt battery. You will need a fuel pump, electric, or hand operated. You will need a glow starter/battery/charger. And you will need a 12 volt starter. (and obviously fuel). Tower hobbies, (and some hobby shops depending on whats around you) carry complete field boxes that come with everything mentioned above except fuel.
blizzardwarrior7 is offline Find More Posts by blizzardwarrior7
Old Jul 15, 2005, 06:57 PM
Quick! Pull my finger!
Joined Jul 2005
169 Posts
That's quite a list for a new comer to actually "need". I'd think a person on a budget could get by with just a squeeze bulb, leather glove and a glow plug ignitor system, along with the plane and radio.
alan_scott is offline Find More Posts by alan_scott
Old Jul 15, 2005, 07:35 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Having hand started in the olden days, and electric started since, an electric starter is part of the MEL.. (Minimum Equipment List)... hand starting modern composite props is very bad on the flipping finger..
The starter can use either Nicads for the voltage.. (and portability) or a seperate 12 volt battery.. I use a riding lawn mower battery carried in a Igloo 6-pack cooler for most work, and would reactivate my Nicad starter if I got competitive again.
A fuel bulb pump.
A Ni-starter.
And all the tools you can afford.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jul 16, 2005, 09:17 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_scott
That's quite a list for a new comer to actually "need". I'd think a person on a budget could get by with just a squeeze bulb, leather glove and a glow plug ignitor system, along with the plane and radio.
Correct, but when you consider that you've paid over $400 to get started, and that kind of investment indicates that it is more than a "passing interest", I would still consider that long list of items as a "necessity".

Viper
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Jul 16, 2005, 03:04 PM
In Massive Debt
Joined Jun 2005
2,001 Posts
I have cut many a finger on those stupid new composite props now a days. Recently electric starters have been added to the list of basic field equipment. Also as Viper said above, since you have payed 400 dollars on radio/engine/plane, you might as well not cheap put on starting equipment.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 07:36 PM
Quick! Pull my finger!
Joined Jul 2005
169 Posts
I still have the 12v starter I bought back in the early 80's and I bet I haven't used it more than a dozen times, I prefer flipping by hand. The last time I looked at it, the rubber was mostly rotted out of the cone.

Also, I've never cut my fingers on a prop because I do wear a leather glove.

I guess I'm just not "Hip".

side note: the glove even takes out most of the "Sting" when I don't clear the prop fast enough
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:59 PM
In Massive Debt
Joined Jun 2005
2,001 Posts
Why, dont you try hand starting an engine like a supertigre 4500, or a saito 220 . Then youll like electric starters .
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:00 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_scott
I still have the 12v starter I bought back in the early 80's and I bet I haven't used it more than a dozen times, I prefer flipping by hand. The last time I looked at it, the rubber was mostly rotted out of the cone. . . .
Maybe komil13 would be interested in purchasing your "used" starter, since you don't need it!!!
Old Jul 17, 2005, 05:33 PM
Quick! Pull my finger!
Joined Jul 2005
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Pilot
Maybe komil13 would be interested in purchasing your "used" starter, since you don't need it!!!
How's this for a deal, you give him a engine big enough to require a starter, and I'll give him the starter.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 05:39 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
alan,

I'm not here to argue ! ! ! You said :
Quote:
I prefer flipping by hand.
That is your preference. I never said anything about "requiring" anything, and agree with you, it is not needed. A starter is a convenience, and IMHO, very useful indeed.
I will go as far as recommending one for anyone in the hobby FOR SAFETY's SAKE!!

VP