HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:00 AM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Rant
Hobby King has poor service

Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. Sometimes you get less than what you paid for, but never more. Their "good stuff" is sold out almost instantly, and when talking to support, they use code which is actually just broken English. Their shipments could be "laced" with products you didn't know you bought, but in the end you still come back because their price is good and nobody else has what you're looking for

In all seriousness, I recommend video recording yourself when receiving and opening any package from Hobby King. If you are missing anything in your order or something is broken, you are still screwed since you will have to pay shipping again, but at least you have some sort of proof which can be shown to thousands of YouTube viewers and can be plastered all over the HK website.

Live support is a complete joke. (like my avatar)
Stock status is NOT accurate.
Even if your payment clears before an item is out of stock, it could be backordered on your order.
Tracking is not in real time (3 days to 3 weeks late)
That autoplay video on the main page is always annoying.
Images or descriptions of products can be misleading or wrong.
Shipping methods are offered before ordering, but during checkout they change.

Will I order again? Yes, because even after all these problems I still save over 50% off compared to my LHS and have learned to be patient and follow their policies.
RxFPV is offline Find More Posts by RxFPV
Last edited by RxFPV; Jan 03, 2013 at 12:09 AM. Reason: CRAZY UNHAPPY PEOPLE
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:48 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Nothing to argue with here...
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxFPV View Post
Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. Sometimes you get less than what you paid for, but never more. Their "good stuff" is sold out almost instantly, and when talking to support, they use code which is actually just broken English. Their shipments could be "laced" with products you didn't know you bought, but in the end you still come back because their price is good and nobody else has what you're looking for

In all seriousness, I recommend video recording yourself when receiving and opening any package from Hobby King. If you are missing anything in your order or something is broken, you are still screwed since you will have to pay shipping again, but at least you have some sort of proof which can be shown to thousands of YouTube viewers and can be plastered all over the HK website.

Even if your payment clears before an item is out of stock, it could be backordered on your order.

Will I order again? Yes, because even after all these problems I still save over 50% off compared to my LHS and have learned to be patient and follow their policies.
CENSORED. If you paid with Paypal and file a claim the shipping IS covered. Shop arround.
valanti256 is offline Find More Posts by valanti256
Last edited by valanti256; Jan 01, 2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,110 Posts
Start from the top.

False. Live support is very helpful if you follow the steps to start your claim/refund/whatever.

False. Stock status has never failed me and I can guess that I spend a heck of a lot more money there than you.

Yet to see this happen.

This is hobbykings fault how?

Simply click the OFF button on the video and whala! your annoying problem is solved.

If they are wrong, report them to cs and they update/change things daily

Shipping methods are a "real time" calculator which can fail. Again, not on hobbyking but the couriers available
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 3d astronaut; Dec 29, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:29 PM View Post
RxFPV
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). It is temporarily hidden while RxFPV edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanti256 View Post
If you paid with Paypal and file a claim the shipping IS covered. Shop arround.

Thanks valanti

I didn't know shipping was covered when using Paypal

Definitely going to use Paypal on my next order
RxFPV is offline Find More Posts by RxFPV
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxfpv View Post
3d astronaut, you must work for hobby king!

The fact you spent the time to pick my entire post apart makes we wonder if hk pays "goons" to have an ever growing forum presence all over the web. It's easy to reply to any complaint and just say the opposite is true, but that can easily just turn into a contest.

This statement gives me some insight to the reasoning behind the rest of your replies. It doesn't matter who has the bigger wallet or who spends more time over at hk, this is my experience and what i feel. You are telling me that my statements are wrong (false)? Can you see my order and physically see me placing that order and the experience i'm having in real time? No you can't.

Thanks for trying to prove all my statements wrong, but anyone with the slightest bit of common sense can realize it's one mans word against another without having proof. It's the readers choice to believe what they see on the forums. you won't see me in someone's thread who is praising hk because it would just be too easy to try and discredit their statements by saying "false. Hobby king is terrible in my experience"

seriously, do you work for hobby king:d
+++1
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:42 AM
Joined Sep 2011
4,110 Posts
So by your reasoning, the fact that I "picked apart" your post, you starting this post means you work for a competitor and are just trying to discredit hobbyking?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
RxFPV, I found your original post quite entertaining and accurate, I fail to see where you endorsed the use or obuse of mind-altering drugs which is the rule you were pointed for.
Last edited by valanti256; Jan 01, 2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:32 PM View Post
RxFPV
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). It is temporarily hidden while RxFPV edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxFPV View Post
Nope, nice guess though.

For anyone reading this, both my original posts were reported by 3d Astronaut. Way to go, man. You must be an awesome person!

Hobby King complaints are obviously censored on RCGroups...thanks to you 3d astronaut, I'll just put my complaints in every post in all the other forums from now on. Seems the Vendors forum isn't the place to talk about vendors...what a joke!
+1. There is a certain bunch that hates on people who post bad experiences with hobbyking. Makes you wonder why or is it just a case of jumping on the band wagon.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:38 PM
Actively makin humans obsolete
Northern Virginia
Joined Jul 2007
773 Posts
HKs site features aren't perfect but they are adequate if you know what to expect. Some people want USA style service with china prices and that just doesn't happen.
  • Live chat does not give product support or help with products. The only resources they have is the HK website just like you do. If you want support on shipping, well again they only have the tracking information you do.
  • Stock status is not perfect but they are accurate to a few units. If something has 1 or 2 left in stock, someone can easily buy them out as you are getting your order through. HK gets 6000 orders per day, or one every 15 seconds.
  • Tracking is from the carriers... even USPS was slow when I ordered.
  • The autoplay video doesn't ever play again after you paused it once. Unless you are clearing your cookies every time or using some odd browser.
  • Mis-described products are not a big deal. The only one I saw was a servo that was white in the pictures but came orange. It's not like 1/4 of their products are mis-described.
  • Shipping methods changing are an annoyance, but again can be expected for certain items (long items like carbon rods, and big items like airplanes). For any order with standard sized stuff the estimates were always the same as the final ones offered.

Once again people complaining about petty issues. If you want USA service were you can pay to have someone baby you to get help then order from the USA.
Razor_Racer is offline Find More Posts by Razor_Racer
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
"HKs site features aren't perfect but they are adequate if you know what to expect. Some people want USA style service with china prices and that just doesn't happen"

"adequate if you know what to expect"- That doesn't help the new customers that don't know what to expect. I think the HK site (especially the manipulated reviews) is designed to sucker in new customers that don't realize they are being conned.
HK unfairly competes directly with the USA based VENDORS but avoids all the added expense, taxes, regulations, liability and litigation. They contribute Nothing to the troubled US economy It's hardly a Fair playing field for US VENDORS. HK wants the US dollar$ but they're unwilling to provide the level of basic CS that US customers expect and deserve. I think it's Sad that soo many Americans never give a thought to all the consequences of buying from foreign based companies just because they save a few bucks. Probably the same people that fly their flags and say how proud they are to be Americans. Now let's hear all the insanely great excuses.
Last edited by valanti256; Jan 02, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:58 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanti256 View Post
I think the HK site (especially the manipulated reviews) is designed to sucker in new customers that don't realize they are beng conned.
If this were the reason for their success, they would only have new customers. My guess is that if you go to your field and talk to guys that fly electrics, they will tell you they have ordered over and over again from HK.

Quote:
HK unfairly competes directly with the USA based vendors but avoids all the added expense, taxes, regulations, liability and litigation. They contribute Nothing to the troubled US economy
I'm pretty sure that none of those things make that big a difference. The big difference is the Chinese people who are happy to work hard for much less money than U.S. citizens.

Quote:
I think it's Sad that soo many Americans never give a thought to all the consequences of buying from foreign based companies just because they save a few bucks. Probably the same people that fly their flags and say how proud they are to be Americans.
I think that most Americans do think about the consequences. But it's not just "a few bucks". Even with the shipping, it can be 75% less. For many guys that's the difference between being in this hobby and not being able to afford it. I think about the consequences myself, but even if I buy from a US company, I'm virtually always buying stuff actually manufactured in China, so how much does it help the economy to pay more? What we really need in this country is manufacturing, and jobs for high school graduates, neither of which is going to happen until our standard of living drops and China's rises. It's not going to happen if a lot of us decide to pay 2 or 3 times the price for hobby supplies.
michaelingp is online now Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:22 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,110 Posts
I would like to see the selection of 100% made in America rc gear and its pricing. Not assembled in America, every component MADE in America, with American goods.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Closed Thread