SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:03 PM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
Discussion
proper crimping of power pole connector pins

Why is stated on some web sites when using a Gardner binder type crimping tool pliers type, that you should put the seam of the contact towards the little bump in the tool even on some videos on you tube ,what I want to know is what is the proper seam location in the tool to crimp the contact for a 15 amp or 30 amp power pole connector? here are some some video sites and it seems that they are totally opposite of each other. check both videos please .

Reliable Crimp Connections (4 min 29 sec)

Anderson Powerpoles (9 min 45 sec)
Rhondas is offline Find More Posts by Rhondas
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,034 Posts
I suspicion that both videos are showing the proper crimp. The catch is that they are each showing different connectors. Specific connectors and even different brands of connectors are designed to be crimped in different ways by different tools. The big thing to watch is make sure you crimp any crimp connector in the manner and with the tool recommended by the manufacturer of the crimp on connector. In our manufacturing plant where crimped on connectors are part of many of our products, we have a considerable number of different crimp on connectors and each one has it's own crimp tool or set of jaws to make the proper crimp.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:47 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,220 Posts
There are some images on the Powerwerx website that show the correct orientation.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:30 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,642 Posts
The guy in the power pole vid (second vid) is all wrong. I been criming wires for 40 years (yea, I am old) and he is all wet. He even states that if you get the crimpers male prong offset you will get a bad crimp.

You always face the connectors sleeve joint into the concave side of the crimpers. This forces the slit (or joint) together into itself and puts the indent in the back of the barrel.
tacx is online now Find More Posts by tacx
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:58 PM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
crimping the right way

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
The guy in the power pole vid (second vid) is all wrong. I been criming wires for 40 years (yea, I am old) and he is all wet. He even states that if you get the crimpers male prong offset you will get a bad crimp.

You always face the connectors sleeve joint into the concave side of the crimpers. This forces the slit (or joint) together into itself and puts the indent in the back of the barrel.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I agree with you , I searched every where about this and I say you are right even a web site from the crimping tool company had 2 different photos in it where the seam is 180 out in 1 photo that's why it confused me as to the right way to do it because of this guys mistake in the 2nd video thank you so much for the correction.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:31 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,860 Posts
I was taught that that crimper is called a peircing crimp style and if that nub is placed on the seam side it will ruin the connector, esp power poles because it splits the seam instead of rolling it like the powerwerks and powerpole crimpers do. If you split that seam it makes for a poor crimp at best and it probably wont fit in the housing afterwards. I used those b4 getting my powerpole crimpers for years and never had an issue, ALWAYS opposite the seam. BTW, I watched the vids but have no sound on this pc at the moment, so cant really comment on them
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:55 PM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
crimpers right way and wrong POWER POLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hogue View Post
I was taught that that crimper is called a peircing crimp style and if that nub is placed on the seam side it will ruin the connector, esp power poles because it splits the seam instead of rolling it like the powerwerks and powerpole crimpers do. If you split that seam it makes for a poor crimp at best and it probably wont fit in the housing afterwards. I used those b4 getting my powerpole crimpers for years and never had an issue, ALWAYS opposite the seam. BTW, I watched the vids but have no sound on this pc at the moment, so cant really comment on them
right see seam wrong seam see