SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2014, 06:39 PM
Joined Oct 2004
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
So what's your setup?
Are you using the Ares radio or something else?
I had some drop offs with the Ares radio, 1 second or so, just like you, but have since gone to Spektrum DX6i which is making me feel like I've been flying for years and not months.
If you're on the brushless motor, give that thing a circumcision and snip it!
Get a prop adapter and get a real prop!
You'll love it!

PS. The landing gear IS bouncy. Don't quite know what to do about that yet.
I tried tying a length of fishing line from wheel to wheel to keep the LG from spreading so much when taxiing. I took it off when I was repairing it from my last major crash. I don't really care that much so long as I don't break anything when I land.
Flying is easy. Landing is the hard part!
ChinoDiablo - what was your experience with using fishing line from wheel to wheel? Were there any downsides that you noticed or experienced with that setup? Really looking for a way to get rid of the "sagging" landing gear when taxiing but would like your report on how that setup worked for you first?
Thanks!
newflyer100 is offline Find More Posts by newflyer100
Last edited by newflyer100; Nov 12, 2014 at 11:58 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:48 PM
Joined Oct 2004
156 Posts
Idea for landing gear fix - thoughts for best way to attach?

Check out the 1st pic on post # 715 on page 48 of this thread! Sounds like a great idea, but I don't care for the "look" of it.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but with a length of fishing line instead, so that it's a more "invisible" fix, and leaving just a little bit of slack in it so the gear can still give just a little bit on landing, but not give enough that it continues to cause the tips of my prob to make contact the ground.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts or ideas on the most secure way to attach the fishing line to the landing gear wire so that it can't move up and down the wire, but at the same time not look horrible either with how it attaches to the wire. Your thoughts/ideas please?
Last edited by newflyer100; Nov 14, 2014 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typos
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:58 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Apr 2014
114 Posts
I thought about doing that once. I was considering using a rotary/dremel tool to cut a small groove on each leg for the wire to grip to. I think it would work.
Hingo is offline Find More Posts by Hingo
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:23 PM
Joined Oct 2004
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hingo View Post
I thought about doing that once. I was considering using a rotary/dremel tool to cut a small groove on each leg for the wire to grip to. I think it would work.
Interesting idea...I would be scared though of weakening the wire through by cutting into it (making it vulnerable to bending at that point in the event of an unexpected hard landing?) but will definitely consider that idea though!

(It beats my idea of tying the ends of the fishing line to each side and then putting a drop of Gorilla glue around the tied end and onto the surrounding wire...you know how horrible THAT would look once it expands up like a marshmallow LOL!)
Last edited by newflyer100; Nov 14, 2014 at 11:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 15, 2014, 08:49 AM
Originally joined: May 2012
United States, TX, Southmayd
Joined Jul 2013
1,161 Posts
Thin, single strand, bare electrical wire... cut to desired length. Wrap at desired point, solder.

Not sure how well this'd work... or not.

Were me, I'd use some light weight DuBro tires, maybe 2", and be done with it.
...quietguy... is online now Find More Posts by ...quietguy...
Old Nov 18, 2014, 06:55 AM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Ares Gamma 370

Hello.

I am currently learning the Ares Gamma 370. It is a great aircraft to learn on.

However, I have noticed recently that there is some vertical play (about 1/2 inch) in the engine axle. Is this play meant to be there? Or is the axle meant to be straight/fixed in one position?

I'd have thought that there should be some kind of play in the motor axle, but with the amount of play there is, the motor vibrates on about half throttle.

Any help appreciated.

Tigg
Tigg is offline Find More Posts by Tigg
Old Nov 18, 2014, 09:28 AM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigg View Post
Hello.

I am currently learning the Ares Gamma 370. It is a great aircraft to learn on.

However, I have noticed recently that there is some vertical play (about 1/2 inch) in the engine axle. Is this play meant to be there? Or is the axle meant to be straight/fixed in one position?

I'd have thought that there should be some kind of play in the motor axle, but with the amount of play there is, the motor vibrates on about half throttle.

Any help appreciated.

Tigg
More than you wanted to know perhaps

The Ares comes in two configurations, Ares 370 with a brushed motor, and Ares 370 Pro with a brushless motor. I had a brushed motor plane, but I upgraded to brushless. My comments are really about the brushless motor

The brushless motor is attached to a metal motor mount, which has an adapter in order to connect to a square "stick mount" inserted into the fuselage. My motor mount is really, really tight on the stick; there is no play there. This could be a problem, you'll want to check this

The problem I frequently have is with the set screw that holds the motor to the motor mount. If you hit the ground, this set screw can become loose, and/or the motor can be dislodged from the adapter, and the motor (and propshaft) will be loose. The solution for this is

- Disconnect battery (ALWAYS do this first!)
- Remove prop
- Remove cowl
- Loosen the set screw, re-align motor nicely with the motor mount and re-tighten the set screw
- Put everything back together in reverse order

NOTES:
1) When you take the cowl off, try wiggling the shaft and see if the motor is moving relative to the mount (that would mean the set screw needs resetting/retightening) of if the motor and motor mount are moving relative to the stick. In this case, it's possible the plastic motor mount is cracked.

2) The motor mount has two threaded holes which will accommodate two set screws; but all of mine have come with only one installed. I was thinking about installing a second one but decided I'd rather let the motor come loose on impact, rather than get broken due to increased resistance.

3) Now, the brushed motor is a different story. It has a gear box! If this is rocking; the gears are messed up; or the bushing for the gearshaft is messed up, or the part of the motor mount that encircles the stick mount is cracked. Some careful diagnosis and visual inspection will determine the root cause

Hope that wasn't too long winded

Regards
Joe Perrone is offline Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old Nov 18, 2014, 04:46 PM
Originally joined: May 2012
United States, TX, Southmayd
Joined Jul 2013
1,161 Posts
Well written overview and suggestions, Joe.
...quietguy... is online now Find More Posts by ...quietguy...
Old Nov 19, 2014, 02:17 PM
Joined Sep 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ...quietguy... View Post
Were me, I'd use some light weight DuBro tires, maybe 2", and be done with it.
Right. Put on larger-diameter tires and cut the landing-gear wire by the same proportion. Shorter wire = less bend. So, if your new tires were 1 inch larger, you would remove an inch from the landing-gear wire, get the same ground clearance and have less bend during landing. Simple solution.
NumbersGuy is offline Find More Posts by NumbersGuy