SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:39 AM
Registered User
tone_tbm's Avatar
Joined Jan 2009
10 Posts
If you happen to run across any problem like this with the rudder it's best to email customerservice@troybuiltmodels.com with pictures so that he may see exactly what's going on and take care of you. In addition, seeing pictures will allow us to accurately suggest solutions to problem.

Keep in mind, your pictures give us ammunition to go to ESM and tell them to get their act together and push them harder to release better and better products. Vendors usually care what their distributors think but they really care what customers think!
tone_tbm is offline Find More Posts by tone_tbm
Site Sponsor
Last edited by tone_tbm; Apr 24, 2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Typo!
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:21 PM
Another one on the way...
ysolomon's Avatar
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,406 Posts
Don't have this problem. Mine is not shiny...
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:50 PM
EDF all the way!
bruff's Avatar
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,019 Posts
Mine did not have the problem. Mine is shiny. Mine is the all glass version.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:30 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganew View Post
Not quite sure. Going to reach out to troybuiltmodels and see what their response is. Hopefully they will just send me a new one.

On another note, I have the new shiny finish, and between handling the parts, cleaning up excess epoxy with rubbing alcohol, I;ve got quite a few "matte: stains. How are people remedying this. Any way to get that shine back on the covering and painted areas?
Talked to troybuilt, and sent them some pictures of the warped rudder. They advised me to attempt to correct the warping by heating up the surface slowly, but thoroughly and then slowly twisting the rudder back into alignment, and then letting it cool in the new shape. I gave it a try and it seems to have fixed the problem.
morganew is offline Find More Posts by morganew
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:36 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
15 Posts
Finally finishing up this build. Here are a couple of pictures Now, I am just working out the CG. I have both batteries (receiver and glow driver) in the nose as far forward in the nose as I can possibly put them, mounted right up against the nose gear mount. Shes still somewhat tail heavy at 115mm. That is with gear RETRACTED. When I bring gear down, she balances perfectly. Just looking to confirm that everyone here did CG with gear UP, and compensated with elevator for the nose heavy when putting gear down in flight?

Thanks
morganew is offline Find More Posts by morganew
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:50 AM
Registered User
Herman Munster's Avatar
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
On a plane with retractable gear you always check CG with the gear up. If you were to balance the plane with the gear down you would have a tail heavy plane when you raised the gear.

Beautiful looking Tigercat
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Jul 2007
8,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
On a plane with retractable gear you always check CG with the gear up. If you were to balance the plane with the gear down you would have a tail heavy plane when you raised the gear.

Beautiful looking Tigercat
Unless your gear goes forward
Zootster is offline Find More Posts by Zootster
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:58 PM
Another one on the way...
ysolomon's Avatar
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,406 Posts
Either way you set the CG with gear up. One thing I do with gear that retracts forward or backward (as opposed to gear that retracts sideways, like the P-51) is to program a mix GEAR->ELEV to compensate.
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:31 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
15 Posts
I finally maidened this model today. Unfortunately, I had some very troubling behavior with my ESM Generation 2 retract units. The units would not cycle up in flight, on a fully charged 4200 MaH battery. After I brought the plane in, and put the plane back on a test stand I cycled the retracts several times without issue. After preparing for another flight, I tried to cycle them once more to confirm all was good, and one of my main units will not cycle anymore. The retract motor is engaged (it can be clearly heard), but the gear will not move, in either direction. I am very afraid to fly my model with these retracts again.

I wanted to find out if anyone on this thread has had any issues with the ESM Generation 2 retract units. I like the ESM scale struts very much, but am thinking I should have went with robart or eflite retract units...

I sent mail to troy built as well. They were very helpful in helping me figure out the warped rudder issue. Lets hope they stand behind these retracts.

I fly at PARCS in brooklyn, NY, and the plane was admired quite a bit..but after the failed retract, people were very skeptical of buying them
morganew is offline Find More Posts by morganew
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:32 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganew View Post
I finally maidened this model today. Unfortunately, I had some very troubling behavior with my ESM Generation 2 retract units. The units would not cycle up in flight, on a fully charged 4200 MaH battery. After I brought the plane in, and put the plane back on a test stand I cycled the retracts several times without issue. After preparing for another flight, I tried to cycle them once more to confirm all was good, and one of my main units will not cycle anymore. The retract motor is engaged (it can be clearly heard), but the gear will not move, in either direction. I am very afraid to fly my model with these retracts again.

I wanted to find out if anyone on this thread has had any issues with the ESM Generation 2 retract units. I like the ESM scale struts very much, but am thinking I should have went with robart or eflite retract units...

I sent mail to troy built as well. They were very helpful in helping me figure out the warped rudder issue. Lets hope they stand behind these retracts.

I fly at PARCS in brooklyn, NY, and the plane was admired quite a bit..but after the failed retract, people were very skeptical of buying them
The problem isnt only with tigercat but with all esm electric retract units. i had the same problem with my spitfire 50cc and gen 2 retracts and my friend the same exactly with esm raiden 50cc, so if you like your plane and dont want to be another beta tester any more just change them and you want regret it! i personally have eurokit on it with esm struts and have no problems any more.
dgiatr is offline Find More Posts by dgiatr
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:48 AM
Awesome Registered User!
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2006
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgiatr View Post
The problem isnt only with tigercat but with all esm electric retract units. i had the same problem with my spitfire 50cc and gen 2 retracts and my friend the same exactly with esm raiden 50cc, so if you like your plane and dont want to be another beta tester any more just change them and you want regret it! i personally have eurokit on it with esm struts and have no problems any more.
Is there a US vendor for those electric EuroKit retracts? I bought a set of the ESM Gen2's for my Tigercat but now I'm thinking I need another electric option.
Beeg is offline Find More Posts by Beeg
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:49 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeg View Post
Is there a US vendor for those electric EuroKit retracts? I bought a set of the ESM Gen2's for my Tigercat but now I'm thinking I need another electric option.
I have eurokit spring-air on it not electric but if you want Eurokit makes and electic ones too! Personally in all my planes except ESM la-7 i have eurokit retracts and i have no problem.
dgiatr is offline Find More Posts by dgiatr
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:33 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Dangaras's Avatar
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,291 Posts
So got mine on order but I don't see a final decision on the three blade prop size settled on. This will probably be one of those year long builds as there is a pretty active queue running already....
Dangaras is online now Find More Posts by Dangaras
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:27 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
15 Posts
Anyone have experience with the v3 units? Is there an upgrade kit from v2?
morganew is offline Find More Posts by morganew
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:52 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Dangaras's Avatar
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,291 Posts
Troybuilt has a video on their site of the V3 ESM retacts in operation.
Dangaras is online now Find More Posts by Dangaras
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Big F7F tigercat - ESM WARBIRDS benjo Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Mar 27, 2014 05:33 PM
Discussion Grumman F7F Tigercat (RBC kit) Build chinehamgeorge Electric Warbirds 30 Aug 10, 2011 08:30 AM
Discussion F7F Tigercat Build J Morgan Electric Warbirds 66 Sep 11, 2009 09:59 AM
Build Log B-25 Mitchell & F7F Tigercat Build philip noel Scale Kit/Scratch Built 163 Apr 09, 2008 07:56 AM
Bluecore F7F Tigercat Ready to fly!!! Bsouthwell Foamies (Kits) 20 Jun 30, 2002 03:52 AM