HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:33 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,657 Posts
Sad that I am now in China until tomorrow night, not able to see YouTube.

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:06 AM
Caravan driver
Lanseria airport South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
I am getting much, much closer. I'm still adding antennas but I'm nearly there. Another week or so...
.....and then it's Mango time baby!! I can't wait to watch you create the masterpiece for me
wingnutzster is offline Find More Posts by wingnutzster
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:03 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,763 Posts
I've ordered this plane from WindRider...

What is the easiest way so far to get current Southwest Airlines colors on it?

Regards
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:05 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,910 Posts
Maiden flight day videos...

I do not consider this video to be a good "flight" video. The flying itself was short and tossed all over due to the wind. The video is more of a "maiden flight day experience" video. 15 minutes is probably more time than people want, but, what the heck, it's my video .

For those with limited time, the flight itself is in Part 2, at 2:50. I can fly quite well. All the tossing around was the wind, not me. The euro fighter turbine flew next and he went home also. On takeoff, the wind caught my right wing, and I about had heart failure. I was intending to go straight out from the runway, but my left turn happened before I wanted. Landing was a panic also.

You can see I had some experienced company - a turbine euro fighter, a turbine L-1011 (not seen), and a large Avanti. All the guys appreciated how nice the 737 is, especially since it is 100% foam!! They are used to much more expensive fiberglass.

The actual flight was very short, but I can tell this will fly like a beauty! The only issues I had have nothing to do with Mr. Ming's design.

And I did not follow Doug's wise advice . The wind surprised everybody. It picked up within 1/2 hour, and was quite turbulent. I did not use any flaps at all during the flight - too nervous for that extra variable at the time. I can tell, take-off flaps will be good for my 9.25 lb weight.

1) One of my fans was making a weird noise, hard to describe, but you can hear it in the video. Like a swirling whirring sound. Never heard that before until maiden day. Figures.
2) Both fans need a little better balancing.
3) I need a bit more power. I'm using the Hobby King L2855-2300 kv motors and they only draw 43 amps. I think around 60 to 65 amps would be better. I have the 2800 kv motors and will try those.
4) The retract main gears are sticking. The left main is the micro switch - not sure what to do. The right main has a stiff spot in the middle, probably the worm gear, so hopefully a cleaning and re-lube will fix that. To be safe, I kept them down during the maiden.
5) I think it's a bit nose heavy. I will adjust that in very small increments.

Boeing 737 Maiden Flight Part 1 of 2 (7 min 34 sec)

Boeing 737 Maiden Flight Part 2 of 2 (7 min 19 sec)
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:23 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,611 Posts
congrats
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:48 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,763 Posts
Congrats!!!

You guys have a good looking field and looks like you had a nice time..
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:06 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,792 Posts
Good show, Derek! Looks GREAT! Sorry the wind was rather un-cooperative.

Re: the retract problem. The over-current protection circuit is VERY sensitive. The least amount of resistance in the movement of the retract assembly will shut it down for a few seconds. I've had to disassemble, check for flashing and other unauthorized matter and lightly lube the jackscrew with SERVO GREASE. They work fine after the preventative maintenance.
bamaguy is online now Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:53 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
I do not consider this video to be a good "flight" video. The flying itself was short and tossed all over due to the wind. The video is more of a "maiden flight day experience" video. 15 minutes is probably more time than people want, but, what the heck, it's my video .

And I did not follow Doug's wise advice . The wind surprised everybody. It picked up within 1/2 hour, and was quite turbulent. I did not use any flaps at all during the flight - too nervous for that extra variable at the time. I can tell, take-off flaps will be good for my 9.25 lb weight.
Derek,

Congratulations!! You must have some big brass ones because I still haven't even flown my 737 in that sort of wind (well, one time but I didn't mean to). That wind was nuts- and was exactly the sort of background wind you hear on video of maidens that don't go well -nice flying my man.

Flaps...let's see, you go to all that work, and then don't use them? C'mon! You made a comment on the video about the power on the airplane I heard...try it with flaps and give it some thought- you might find it's powered just right when you are using take off flaps. Keep in mind the real ones are using flaps for the first 5000' or so until they are in a cruise climb profile. The only time you'd want no flaps on your model would be high speed cruise- which I might say, with that tailwind on downwind, you were hauling!!

Again, great job captain! Now go have some rum!
Doug W is offline Find More Posts by Doug W
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:55 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutzster View Post
.....and then it's Mango time baby!! I can't wait to watch you create the masterpiece for me
I can't wait man! I've got one more weekend on Wedgetail and then it's on to your bird!
Doug W is offline Find More Posts by Doug W
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:12 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,944 Posts
Nice job. I even let out a little holler when that wing picked up on takeoff! How did the WBPU hold up to the tarmac scrape?
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:49 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
Derek,

Congratulations!! You must have some big brass ones because I still haven't even flown my 737 in that sort of wind (well, one time but I didn't mean to). That wind was nuts- and was exactly the sort of background wind you hear on video of maidens that don't go well -nice flying my man.

Flaps...let's see, you go to all that work, and then don't use them? C'mon! You made a comment on the video about the power on the airplane I heard...try it with flaps and give it some thought- you might find it's powered just right when you are using take off flaps. Keep in mind the real ones are using flaps for the first 5000' or so until they are in a cruise climb profile. The only time you'd want no flaps on your model would be high speed cruise- which I might say, with that tailwind on downwind, you were hauling!!

Again, great job captain! Now go have some rum!
Doug, you have been spot on with all your advice. I will fly it again without changing anything (on a calm day ) and give the flaps a workout. And get used to the scale speed. If the wing loading is low, then "slow" is fine. Speed is relative. My friends happened to have their turbines out that day. I went in between a Bandit and the Euro Fighter, so it "seemed" like I was crawling.

My microphone rig cuts the wind noise quite well, and it was still coming through.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:54 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
Nice job. I even let out a little holler when that wing picked up on takeoff! How did the WBPU hold up to the tarmac scrape?
I let out one of those silent internal screams.

I got one wingtip on takeoff and one on landing. Now it's symmetrical .

The little fairings I made for the LED's can be repaired. I'm glad it did not scrape and ruin the LED itself. That would be a major pain to replace those.

I got the right nacelle on landing too.

Now she's broken in .
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:00 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,857 Posts
DerekB

I had the same problem with my mains , not wanting to fly with
questable LG I replaced my mains with these

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.php/products_id/2631

quick dependable service .

great you maiden yours - Question in video you said you used wbpu
with 3/4 glass - no expoxy ?
pulsery2k1 is online now Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:10 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsery2k1 View Post
DerekB

I had the same problem with my mains , not wanting to fly with
questable LG I replaced my mains with these

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.php/products_id/2631

quick dependable service .

great you maiden yours - Question in video you said you used wbpu
with 3/4 glass - no expoxy ?
Yes, wbpu and glass cloth. No epoxy.

Thanks for the link. Have you opened those up yet to see the worm gear mechanism? So far, I have 3 different brands (none of them have markings, so no idea who) of these servoless retracts. The inner workings of all 3 use the identical concept (but clearly a different mfr.) of a shoe that travels along a worm gear. The shoe actuates the trunion to rotate. At the end of the travel of the shoe, there is a micro switch that the shoe bumps into which causes it to stop. The electronics seem to then reverse the motor for just a bit to back the shoe away from the micro switch.

On my gear that sticks in the full down position, the shoe is no longer backing away from the micro switch. As long as the micro switch is depressed, well, that's the OFF position. That's why, when I wiggle the strut a little, it's just enough to let the micro switch pop out and let the motor run.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:54 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,657 Posts
I am now going back to Hong Kong because I want to see the video.

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor