HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2014, 11:12 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10AE View Post
I suspect it is an ESC problem. What do you guys think? Bum motor? ESC timing? The motor does make a weird noise for the first little bit of throttle stick movement, but by 20% throttle or so it is fine. It has never given me any trouble apart from that noise.
10...I've had that initial squeal with a castle esc a while back and was advised to change the timing...which I did and it was gone.
Even with a 12X8 your amp draw seems a bit on the low side, but you turning 11,000 rpms in the air...have you checked static numbers of the amps, watts and rpms to compare ????

I never checked my "B" with inflight data, mine was all static and with an APC 13X8 using a 3600 4S 50C venom lipo (which was crap) and pulled 63 amps, 950 watts @ 8800rpms...the speed wasn't blazing fast, but it was an improvement over the suggested 13X6.5.
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2014, 10:06 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,930 Posts
This build has been fraught with a few set backs I didn't have with the first.
The HS-81 on the flaps really are a pain and will need replacing with something that doesn't buzz all the time in all positions.

The spinner is off center on this Mustang. The spinner on the first build with the E-flite 32 lined up perfectly but I'm using an Exceed RC Monster Power 32 on this one. Spacers are the same so but maybe the X-mounts are a different size - if anyone has any experience with spinners and non standard motors please let me know.

Thanks,

Dick
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Nov 07, 2014, 08:46 AM
Joined May 2009
282 Posts
Hey Dick,
Can you post a picture? I powered mine up with a Hyperion 6S setup and used a Hobby King aluminum spinner with a 3 blade prop ... as I recall I had to add a couple of washers behind the motor mount to center up the spinner to the cowl, but it didn't seem to have any effect on the performance of the plane. How much "off center" is your setup?
gkalush is offline Find More Posts by gkalush
Old Nov 07, 2014, 09:15 AM
1BADA$$
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2013
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
This build has been fraught with a few set backs I didn't have with the first.
The HS-81 on the flaps really are a pain and will need replacing with something that doesn't buzz all the time in all positions.

The spinner is off center on this Mustang. The spinner on the first build with the E-flite 32 lined up perfectly but I'm using an Exceed RC Monster Power 32 on this one. Spacers are the same so but maybe the X-mounts are a different size - if anyone has any experience with spinners and non standard motors please let me know.

Thanks,

Dick
The spinner can be a pain...but fully install the spinner and figure out where you would like your motor to move...loosen the bolts and try and manipulate the motor towards the direction you need it to...you should be able to get some play with the floating nuts. I am running a Rimfire and had the same problem...I loosened mine up and moved her around till i got it as close as i can.

I have HS 81s on my flaps...I had to adjust the end points using my transmitter and got the buzzing out...it still has the buzzing but only when i use the flaps...I can live with it since they only get deployed when i am taking off or landing. Good Luck!
chamowllie is offline Find More Posts by chamowllie
Old Nov 07, 2014, 12:59 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,930 Posts
Thanks for your replies.....

The spinner is about slightly less than 1/8" low and 1/8" to the the left.
I might have managed to get a little better alignment manipulating the mount but it's still quite a bit off center. Looks like the only way is adding or removing spacers but I'm curious about how the thrust angle will be affected.

The flap end points have been adjusted and readjusted with little or no consistent result. I'll probably fly it but need to replace the 81's. The otherHs-81's used on the controls seem okay but the flaps are really annoyingly difficult for some reason.

Dick
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2014, 01:28 PM
Joined Jun 2008
385 Posts
I had the same problem with the flap servos buzzing. The reason for the buzzing turned out to be the two flap push/pull rods were slightly binding in their access holes. I enlarged the access holes and the buzzing disappeared and has never returned

Roger
ForcesR is offline Find More Posts by ForcesR
Old Nov 07, 2014, 01:35 PM
1BADA$$
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2013
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcesR View Post
I had the same problem with the flap servos buzzing. The reason for the buzzing turned out to be the two flap push/pull rods were slightly binding in their access holes. I enlarged the access holes and the buzzing disappeared and has never returned

Roger
I notice that too with mine...but it was when i was installing the servos during the build.
chamowllie is offline Find More Posts by chamowllie
Old Nov 07, 2014, 02:30 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,930 Posts
Good news, I think the spinner is centered for the most part. It 's still down very slightly but I was more aggressive with adjusting the screws.

I'll check the flap control rods have sufficient room - that could be the problem.

Added a different magnet to the belly scoop and it seems more secure now. I'll maiden with fixed gear or maybe stuff some HobbyKing e-tracts in there.

Getting closer....
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2014, 05:10 PM
Georgetown IN
Joined Jul 2010
1,046 Posts
Thanks LICobra. I'll try the timing.
10AE is offline Find More Posts by 10AE
Old Nov 12, 2014, 02:37 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,930 Posts
Started adding the insignia to this one but having to hold myself back from adding scale detailing.....so far it's working and the weight is definitely lighter than my Shangri-La.

I really thought about adding my own personal nose art and fantasizing that it was my own WWII Mustang but got a little lazy and decided on James Howard's P-51B, one of my favorites. W/S decals have provided most of the graphic details but so far I've found no reference for "DING HAO!" to download and print. (Need help if anyone has something .)

I wonder if an FMS 4250 580kV motor would be enough to hang an FMS four blade on it. If anyone has any thoughts on that idea let me know, I'd appreciate it.

Dick
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Nov 12, 2014 at 02:45 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 07:06 PM
United States, GA, Peachtree City
Joined Feb 2013
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
Started adding the insignia to this one but having to hold myself back from adding scale detailing.....so far it's working and the weight is definitely lighter than my Shangri-La.

I really thought about adding my own personal nose art and fantasizing that it was my own WWII Mustang but got a little lazy and decided on James Howard's P-51B, one of my favorites. W/S decals have provided most of the graphic details but so far I've found no reference for "DING HAO!" to download and print. (Need help if anyone has something .)

I wonder if an FMS 4250 580kV motor would be enough to hang an FMS four blade on it. If anyone has any thoughts on that idea let me know, I'd appreciate it.

Dick
Go to Callie Graphics online. She has those specific decals for this plane in stock.

Adam
Adam Stang is online now Find More Posts by Adam Stang
Old Nov 15, 2014, 08:30 PM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
1,864 Posts
Capteasy.......I've got the 4250-580kv on my FMS Macon Belle ( Dalls Darling ) along with a MrRCsounds sound module w/ 2 transducers and she flies as on rails. Using a 4s3300 li-po and FMS 4 blade prop. No film but plenty of stills over in the FMS P-51B thread.
Flight is scale like.

Woody
W. X. Davis is online now Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Last edited by W. X. Davis; Nov 15, 2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 01:37 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by W. X. Davis View Post
Capteasy.......I've got the 4250-580kv on my FMS Macon Belle ( Dalls Darling ) along with a MrRCsounds sound module w/ 2 transducers and she flies as on rails. Using a 4s3300 li-po and FMS 4 blade prop. No film but plenty of stills over in the FMS P-51B thread.
Flight is scale like.

Woody
Thanks Woody, how much does she weigh all up with the added sound module?
I have an idea that the 4250-580kV might have the power to carry the E-F Mustang if the weight is kept at a minimum. Then the stock FMS four blade would be simple.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Nov 17, 2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 01:13 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,930 Posts
Where'ja go Woody.....?

This example of " DING HOA!" is progressing well and mostly done. It's had several w/s decals added, some of which are that accurate but it's been fun. The only major decal it lacks is the most important one. I've not contacted Callie but I've come this far and think I can come up with it somehow. The original, " DING HOA!" was hand painted, so I may even try that.

Dick
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Nov 21, 2014 at 01:24 AM.