HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:16 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
I played around with the Rjx FBL head last night. WOW! I'm very impress with the quality and looks of this kit. The kit comes with everything other then linkages which I was surprised about.

In my kit I had the following
Feathering Shaft & bolts
Hard quality dampeners (Black)
Thrust bearings
Smooth Bearings in Main grips

And everything in the product pics.

Question time:
Did anyone use the Align feathering shaft sleeve with the RJX head?
What lengths were your linkages from the main grips to swash?
Are the servo linkages lengths to swash still the same as an Align FBL head?
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:06 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,314 Posts
double post
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:08 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
I played around with the Rjx FBL head last night. WOW! I'm very impress with the quality and looks of this kit. The kit comes with everything other then linkages which I was surprised about.

In my kit I had the following
Feathering Shaft & bolts
Hard quality dampeners (Black)
Thrust bearings
Smooth Bearings in Main grips

And everything in the product pics.

Question time:
Did anyone use the Align feathering shaft sleeve with the RJX head?
What lengths were your linkages from the main grips to swash?
Are the servo linkages lengths to swash still the same as an Align FBL head?
I used the shaft sleeve and it works fine. My grip to swash links are 54mm measured on a set of ball link gizmos attached to my calipers (measured from center of link hole) I'm using the upper hole and a standard shaft.

I found that the RJX balls are slightly oversized compared to standard so I had to ream the upper links to keep them from being too stiff. An alternative would be to replace them with standard balls. Swashplate link balls will fit the hole but are are slightly too long, the neck of the ball link should be 2mm from the arm to the ball.

I have my link balls set to 17.5mm which is the closest I can get to 16.5 as specified in the manual. The link lengths will be shorter than the Align FBL because the RJX head is a bit lower. What I did was set collective to 0 degrees and then adjusted the swash till the swashlocker arms were perfectly square. Just hold a small screwdriver or something in front of the three screws till they all line up. Then take the head off and put a leveler on it and get the swash leveled and you are done.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Nov 27, 2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:45 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
evltoy & mhills, thanks for the advice about balancing. My link lengths for the 2nd 500:

Servo: 16mm
Servo -> swash: 50mm
Swash -> head: 54mm

Might give a average for evl.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:04 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I found working the RJX grip links around bit will loosen them up. They will be perfect in a dozen flights or less. I don't like using the reamer any more, it accelerates the link wear.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:05 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
I found working the RJX grip links around bit will loosen them up. They will be perfect in a dozen flights or less. I don't like using the reamer any more, it accelerates the link wear.
+1 I agree how much is too much?
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:40 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,713 Posts
You guys seen this....http://www.ebay.com/itm/300814999408...84.m1423.l2649

Pretty cool.

Available in 450 size as well.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:46 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Atomic Skull &eagle777 - thanks for the linkage info. This will help me out alot with a good ball park to play in.

Quote:
I have to agree with that too. My current 500FB had firm links at the start in the head and now after 150-155 flights its now loose and ready for replacement.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:53 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post

Pretty cool.

Yeah I saw that on the flying hobby site last night. I'm not keen on that style of landing gear... maybe good on a goblin, but not sure on a T-rex that is an ol' style design.

http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/tre...t-p-10559.html

Its like putting chrome/metal trims on a 2010 plastic made car... it just doesnt go well.

I was looking at the KDE tail assimble and thought this would be a big improvement over the old style Align setup.

http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/kde...ol-p-9740.html
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:12 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,713 Posts
I ordered the landing gear for a 450 I have. Not bad at only $12..I think the look will work, only because the frame and tail boom is also carbon fiber. It should all blend nice..Will see ( If not its $12 i usualy blow throwing a turn of dice craps )
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,314 Posts
Quote:
Mine were so stiff that I was worried about servo damage.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post

Pretty cool.

I tried the 540 Sport version and I didn't like them, the shoulder bolts that hold the CF skids to the metal brackets are designed to have slop and allow the skids to move.. I'd rather have the Gorilla gear as they will save your helicopter in a hard landing.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
I was looking at the KDE tail assimble and thought this would be a big improvement over the old style Align setup.
The new Pro style "standard" slider and bellcrank is actually a big improvement over the old ESP design. The plastic cup and moving the ball in closer to the center of the bearing holder greatly reduced the slop compared to the old version.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:02 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
I tried the 540 Sport version and I didn't like them, the shoulder bolts that hold the CF skids to the metal brackets are designed to have slop and allow the skids to move.. I'd rather have the Gorilla gear as they will save your helicopter in a hard landing.
I have the gorilla gear skids on both 500 and 450. Yes they are awsome skids. Good to know info on the slop with the shoulder bolts. Will see if i cant mod it
somehow.
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Nov 28, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:14 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
The new Pro style "standard" slider and bellcrank is actually a big improvement over the old ESP design. The plastic cup and moving the ball in closer to the center of the bearing holder greatly reduced the slop compared to the old version.
Are you talking about the Align Part #H60186A?