Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by Zari
United Kingdom, England, Cranfield
Joined Aug 2013
6 Posts
Discussion
Servo - Strong in one direction

Hi guys,

I am not experienced with servos so any ideas would be appreciated. Here is a problem I have:

with my flight controller (Arduino) I energise a servo but it is prevents rotation only in one direction.

Just to repeat - maybe It will explain my problem in a more clear way:
when I have servo on and I want to rotate it to the right (lets say) it does not allow me to do that. However, when I want to do that in the other direction, there is no resistance.

I am using servo HS-311.

Has anyone encountered such problem before?

Cheers !
Zari is offline Find More Posts by Zari
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:18 PM
Find More Posts by ScottSails
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zari View Post
Hi guys,

I am not experienced with servos so any ideas would be appreciated. Here is a problem I have:

with my flight controller (Arduino) I energise a servo but it is prevents rotation only in one direction.

when I have servo on and I want to rotate it to the right (lets say) it does not allow me to do that. However, when I want to do that in the other direction, there is no resistance.

I am using servo HS-311.

Cheers !
Try a diff servo? What pulse width are you sending and how frequently?
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Jul 18, 2016, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Team Hitec, Customer Support
United States, CA, Poway
Joined Oct 2007
23,068 Posts
I will second the above, what pulsewidth are you using and have you tried it with a different servo?
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jul 18, 2016, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by vollrathd
United States, WI, Racine
Joined Jan 2007
3,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zari View Post
Hi guys,

I am using servo HS-311.

Cheers !
Your Arduino unit must provide a repeating positive pulse signal that ranges from 1.0 Milliseconds wide to 2.0 Milliseconds wide, with a "zero" voltage signal lasting around 20 milliseconds. One way to do that, is to output a logic "1" signal to the servo, then "Call" a fixed 1.0 millisecond delay. Then, call a second time delay varying from 0 to 1 millisecond, with that delay controlled by the Arduino analog input for example. After the second variable delay, output a logic "0" to the servo. Then, call a 20 ms delay, and loop back to the start and do it again, and again, and again.

I've made dozens of these things using the PicChip product line. And, all worked very well.

Do note that the PicChips that I used ran at 5.0 Volts DC, where the Arduinos operate at something like 3.3 Volts DC. That might, or might not be an issue with your servos, since they are designed to operate at 5 Volts DC, with the newer servos capable of operating at 6.6 Volts DC. If you are trying to operate your servo at 3.3 Volts DC, that could cause problems with the servo's operation.
vollrathd is online now Find More Posts by vollrathd
Old Jul 18, 2016, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by EloyM
SantaAna CA
Joined Aug 2003
412 Posts
I don't think he is saying that he is driving a servo with a radio or servo driver, but by hand!
If so, he has found that servos, especially those from an off-brand system are made poorly, and if forced to move physically, due to poor gear geometry, the gears will shift and lock when an attempt is made to rotate them in a certain direction.
Servos, regardless of make or quality, should never be rotated manually, the back pressure on the gears can cause some distortion and lead to poor resolution.
EloyM is online now Find More Posts by EloyM