Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Old Jul 13, 2016, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by batata003
Joined Mar 2015
56 Posts
Discussion
Charging a lipo with defect

I know, I know... lipo is dangerous and other important things. Ok, I know it.

I just want to know this other thing: I have a lipo battery 3S and one of the cells inside is with problem, it's not charging any more.

So I decided to do this: in the "white plastic" (plug) that I usually connect to my 3S batttery charger there are 4 wires: black (gnd) and other 3 wires yellow, blue and red. I discovered the red wire belongs to the faulty cell. So I did this: I "pulled" the red wire and removed it from the "white plastic" and I connected this "white plastic" to my 3S charger in the 3S port charger (it has a 2S port charge but I cant fit the white plugin the 2S port). The charger sad to me it recognized 2 cells and it's charging right now.

My question is this: is it safe doing this way? Should I at least buy a "white plastic" (plug) with only 3 roles (gnd and 2 cells wires) to charge this battery in the correct port of my charger?
batata003 is offline Find More Posts by batata003
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2016, 06:05 PM
Find More Posts by DonA
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
942 Posts
Are you saying you have a 3S lipo with a bad cell and you have basically bypassed that cell and intend to use the 3S lipo with 2 charged cells and one 'bad' cell? If so, I strongly recommend you do not do this. The bad cell will still be part of the discharge circuit when in use unless you have also bypassed that cell with your discharge leads.

Don
DonA is online now Find More Posts by DonA
Old Jul 13, 2016, 06:11 PM
Find More Posts by hoppy
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
23,157 Posts
In short, NO.

In what order are those colored wires starting with the black wire. Cells have 2 wires, not just one.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jul 13, 2016, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by batata003
Joined Mar 2015
56 Posts
Respectfully I think you are all wrong. My charger said the 2 cells are fully charged and when I measure the voltage with a multimeter it says each cell has 4.2v. The third cell (which is the defect one) has 3.9v. I know it does not look it is defective but it is, when I try to charge that cell it takes tooooo long and it never gets to 4v. So I decided to charge 2 cells separetelly.
batata003 is offline Find More Posts by batata003
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:30 PM
Find More Posts by prodriverex
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
670 Posts
Bro, you do get the 2 cells charged and balance, but not the defective one.
The sequence is like this:
Cell 1 -, Cell 2 -, Cell 3 -, Cell 3 + which correspond to your description of color:
black, yellow, blue and red.

So you saying red one is bad, cell 3 is bad. You pull off the red, now blue becomes the Cell 2 +.
Your charger will recognize 2S. Max voltage is then 8.4V.
But your main power plug is still wired between all 3 cells and your charger will read 4.2+4.2+3.9=12.3V.
Surprise how your charger compare 8.4V and 12.3V and does nothing to cut off at some point..

There is a way to save it and make it 2S permanent but I won't tell you here. It doesn't look like you should do this operation.
prodriverex is offline Find More Posts by prodriverex
Old Jul 14, 2016, 01:11 AM
Find More Posts by desertstalker
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
2,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodriverex View Post
Surprise how your charger compare 8.4V and 12.3V and does nothing to cut off at some point..
Cheapo charger that does it through the balance taps?
desertstalker is online now Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Jul 14, 2016, 02:01 AM
Find More Posts by PaulB
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
2,045 Posts
Just wondering where you are going with this…..

Lets put the charging thing aside, it worked and your house is still standing.

You now have 3 cells connected together 2 of which are at a higher voltage than the other one. What are you going to do with the pack???? If you try to use it all 3 cells will start to discharge at roughly the same rate (experts please correct if I am way off track) and the voltage will reduce on each cell, also at roughly the same rate.

Your ‘poor’ cell will over discharge damaging it further until it goes bang (once again, experts please correct if I am wrong).

I can’t see the point in risking your house for something which you won’t be able to use afterwards with any degree of success.

Just wondering where you are going with this…..

Paul
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:09 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
5,397 Posts
Remove the dead cell from the pack, bypass it and end up with a perfectly good 2 cell pack. Leaving it in place is dangerous, how are you going to draw power out of the remaining 2 cells without going through the damaged 3rd cell?
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by losi man
Suspended Account
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Oct 2015
2,052 Posts
no remove bad cell its still getting voltage thru it so remove and install 2 cell lipo balance plug//

unsafe
losi man is offline Find More Posts by losi man
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 14, 2016, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by DrewC
Foam Flyer
United States, NY, Eastchester
Joined Jul 2013
1,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by batata003 View Post
I know, I know... lipo is dangerous and other important things. Ok, I know it.

I just want to know this other thing: I have a lipo battery 3S and one of the cells inside is with problem, it's not charging any more.

So I decided to do this: in the "white plastic" (plug) that I usually connect to my 3S batttery charger there are 4 wires: black (gnd) and other 3 wires yellow, blue and red. I discovered the red wire belongs to the faulty cell. So I did this: I "pulled" the red wire and removed it from the "white plastic" and I connected this "white plastic" to my 3S charger in the 3S port charger (it has a 2S port charge but I cant fit the white plugin the 2S port). The charger sad to me it recognized 2 cells and it's charging right now.

My question is this: is it safe doing this way? Should I at least buy a "white plastic" (plug) with only 3 roles (gnd and 2 cells wires) to charge this battery in the correct port of my charger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by batata003 View Post
Respectfully I think you are all wrong. My charger said the 2 cells are fully charged and when I measure the voltage with a multimeter it says each cell has 4.2v. The third cell (which is the defect one) has 3.9v. I know it does not look it is defective but it is, when I try to charge that cell it takes tooooo long and it never gets to 4v. So I decided to charge 2 cells separetelly.
LOL!!!

a) why ask the question if you "know" the answer?

b) where do you live? I want to monitor your local news site for when your house burns down?
DrewC is offline Find More Posts by DrewC
Old Jul 15, 2016, 05:54 AM
Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Jaketheone46
United States, KY, Florence
Joined Nov 2014
1,692 Posts
Have you tried charging the low cell by itself through the balance tap to get it fully charged?? I've never even took the time to remove a cell from a 3s pack to make it a 2s pack. 2s packs can be replaced for under 10 bucks so I see no point in the risk of time involved.
Jaketheone46 is offline Find More Posts by Jaketheone46