New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2016, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by pogoed
Waterford, ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
400 Posts
Discussion
WEMOTEC still in business?

I ordered a 90mm EVO rotor direct from WEMOTEC over a month ago as Efflux and Extreme are both out of stock and the order still shows as "in process". Emails sent via the contact page just come back with what I've written and nothing else- helluva way to run a business. Does anyone know what's going on with this company? Jetfan here I come....
Tom
pogoed is offline Find More Posts by pogoed
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2016, 01:34 PM
Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
3,375 Posts
Not helpful, to be certain......but it has been this way for the better part of 2 years.

Occasionally, there are signs of life from there followed by extended periods of silence.

JetFan is an improvement anyway. The Evo is a wonderful piece but the JF is excellent.

And available. With support from Rainer and his crew. Tough act to follow.
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Jul 01, 2016, 03:43 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
8,111 Posts
Nothing out t there compares to a JF ..
Rainer did it right Got a few 90's and a 120mm--- but for the big boys --Dynamax all the way.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 02, 2016, 05:06 AM
Find More Posts by Kwahn
Germany
Joined Jul 2010
630 Posts
I always found Oliver's customer service excellent, he answers the phone himself most of the time.

011 - 49 - 2154 - 48 24 77

Should work from the US.
Kwahn is offline Find More Posts by Kwahn
Old Jul 02, 2016, 07:16 AM
Waterford, ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwahn View Post
I always found Oliver's customer service excellent, he answers the phone himself most of the time.

011 - 49 - 2154 - 48 24 77

Should work from the US.
Kwahn, thanks- I'll try calling Monday.
Tom
Old Jul 02, 2016, 07:22 AM
Waterford, ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
Nothing out t there compares to a JF ..
Rainer did it right Got a few 90's and a 120mm--- but for the big boys --Dynamax all the way.
Mark, I've had these Evo's in several models for a few years now so it is what it is- your comments aren't really helpful. How are you making out with your systems- got anything spun up yet?
Tom
Old Jul 02, 2016, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
8,111 Posts
The 90's run sweet- no balancing , didn't even have to clock the spinner.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Jul 02, 2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2016, 04:09 PM
Find More Posts by St. Martin
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
13,627 Posts
I can go back to 1996, and EJF waiting for a shipment of Mini/Midi fans. I waited for several months for Robert to get his complete order from Oliver. But, thats just the way it has always been. I learned my lesson, that when they come, they come in quantity. So buy several for future use.

I never owned a JF. Mostly because I fly 70mm or smaller stuff. But, the price may be prohibitive for me, should they ever produce a 70mm. To compare the quality of the two, is just apples and oranges. The WeMo has always been the leader, if you use the bang-for-the-buck, principal.

In another 20years, if Oliver is still in bizz, and if the powers, that be, have not regulated us modelers into non-existance, I do not believe WeMo will ever change. Have patience, and buy two! Get extra rotors, adapters, etc. Then, like myself, you will not notice when they have their scarcity periods.

Anytime I need a fan from 64mm-69mm, I can assemble a fan from my WeMo box.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jul 04, 2016, 04:24 PM
Waterford, ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
400 Posts
Fuzz, thanks for the reply- I hear what you're saying but I'm finding this lack of communication (not to mention parts) frustrating. I became a Wemo user about 7 yrs. ago but I think I'm gone.
Tom
Old Jul 04, 2016, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by 4stripes
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
6,120 Posts
Hi Tom
I've been using the FW 6 blade version as a wemo midifan clone with some success for those planes that I want a higher pitch sound (for those fliers hard of hearing). Haven't seen any evo type clones yet...
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Jul 04, 2016, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Joined Dec 2013
7,114 Posts
I too am a Wemo Evo convert preferring the grub screw lockdown shaft & bang for your buck fan which one can install into most shrouds .. Because of the availability of Wemos I normally order spares to get value from freight especially living Down Under... The Lander/Dr Mad 5bl is also another Wemo clone which is very good ... Had a 70mm Lander for years which has had several homes .. Currently in the Yak 130... Great balanced unit & sounds very nice with that high pitch note especially with a cheater ..
HellHathNoFury is online now Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Old Jul 04, 2016, 06:55 PM
Waterford, ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Hi Tom
I've been using the FW 6 blade version as a wemo midifan clone with some success for those planes that I want a higher pitch sound (for those fliers hard of hearing). Haven't seen any evo type clones yet...
Hi Eric- I'm not really looking for an Evo clone as I'm happy with the sound and efficiency, but this parts thing is frustrating. The old Wemo 5 blade rotor is available but I'd be going backwards. (Hearing is ok- so far )
BTW, does anyone know if a Jetfan rotor will fit in a V2 Wemo shroud ? (I believe it will but would like confirmation ).
Tom
Old Jul 04, 2016, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Joined Dec 2013
7,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogoed View Post
Hi Eric- I'm not really looking for an Evo clone as I'm happy with the sound and efficiency, but this parts thing is frustrating. The old Wemo 5 blade rotor is available but I'd be going backwards. (Hearing is ok- so far )
BTW, does anyone know if a Jetfan rotor will fit in a V2 Wemo shroud ? (I believe it will but would like confirmation ).
Tom
Not unless you can get a Eco JF ( cut 1mm shorter) ... I believe JF stopped making those...Bummer because it made it much more economical to install to most shrouds... Stock JF will not fit ..Another reason why I swapped over to Wemo Evos..I have plenty of assorted strong plastic shrouds..
HellHathNoFury is online now Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Last edited by HellHathNoFury; Jul 04, 2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2016, 08:47 PM
Find More Posts by St. Martin
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
13,627 Posts
It's important to note, that WeMo fans are of older size clarification. Same with the HET. They were designed in the 69 & 89mm days. The 70mm is the latest clasification in the last 10 yrs. The 70mm EVO/Pro/Classic is 69mm I.D., 71mm O.D. shroud. 68mm Rotor. The Midi EVO/Pro/Classic is 89mm I.D., 92MM O.D. WeMo has not changed the shrouds in 20yrs. The rotor types are designed to be with all sized Wemo shrouds.

I have had issues with some of the WeMo shrouds(my first WeMo in 1996 had bent mounting lugs!). It's not easy to get exact clearances 360deg. So, I make my own. 2 lams of 1/64 ply for the 69mm, 3 lams for the 89mm. Very easy to make and as ridged as a CF shroud. Have been making my own for atleast 10 yrs. And I can keep the clearances tighter than a stock shroud.

So most shrouds are just used for the stator assemblies. So mostly, I purchase just rotors.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jul 05, 2016, 01:13 AM
Find More Posts by dusmmdb34
Alexandria LA
Joined Oct 2004
1,715 Posts
Are EVO conversion kits for the midifans available anywhere??!
dusmmdb34 is offline Find More Posts by dusmmdb34