New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2016, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by 73MOH
Joined Apr 2014
40 Posts
Discussion
Tips for novice? Heli motor!!

I just bought a 2011 model helicopter with an OS 55 in it. The model has been built (never flown) and started once apparently......

Any tips on starting this motor?
73MOH is offline Find More Posts by 73MOH
Last edited by 73MOH; Apr 19, 2016 at 02:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:52 AM
Find More Posts by 706jim
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay
Joined Oct 2004
1,388 Posts
Others here can tell you how to start the motor.

I'm just suggesting that you have something to hide behind once you do get it running.

People have been killed by out of control helicopter blades.

At our field, I would hide behind a robust picnic table whenever one was started up.
706jim is offline Find More Posts by 706jim
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by Brutus1967
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
7,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73MOH View Post
Yes....

GET HELP!

Absolutely not meant nasty or condescending, but without you having hands on help from somebody that can check that heli for you (never flown means never tested) and that can teach you how to go about with fuel powered RC helicopters, it is not that I don't want to help you (I really do) but I don't want to feel responsible when you hurt yourself.

Please, get help, a real life guy that knows what he is doing can help you so much quicker and safer, ten times better than any of us can do from behind a keyboard.

If you cannot get any help, please first get a small electric, and learn to fly, then once you are at least sure you can control an RC heli, I'll be happy to help you with the mechanic part of the hobby.

The effort and patience required are worth it!
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by sippy
Joined May 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
Yes....

GET HELP!

Absolutely not meant nasty or condescending, but without you having hands on help from somebody that can check that heli for you (never flown means never tested) and that can teach you how to go about with fuel powered RC helicopters, it is not that I don't want to help you (I really do) but I don't want to feel responsible when you hurt yourself.

Please, get help, a real life guy that knows what he is doing can help you so much quicker and safer, ten times better than any of us can do from behind a keyboard.

If you cannot get any help, please first get a small electric, and learn to fly, then once you are at least sure you can control an RC heli, I'll be happy to help you with the mechanic part of the hobby.

The effort and patience required are worth it!
2nd'ed.
sippy is offline Find More Posts by sippy
Old Apr 18, 2016, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
4,659 Posts
sippy, are you experienced with model airplanes and specific helicopters.
It looks you are more interested in other subjects.
Taurus Flyer
Taurus Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Old Apr 18, 2016, 03:50 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,659 Posts
Quote:
I just bought a 2011 model helicopter with an OS 55 in it. The model has been built (never flown) and started once apparently......

Can you show us some photographs?

Taurus Flyer
Old Apr 19, 2016, 02:22 AM
Find More Posts by 73MOH
Joined Apr 2014
40 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys..... I will never take offence to anyone offering me good advice.

A little more about me......

I'm 44yrs old and have been fairly obsessed with RC Helicopters for the last 3 years.... I have worked my way up and built (and rebuilt)many FBL electric from 300 to 550 size with much success.... I am quite confident with all the mechanics and setup involved with an electric heli. I am currently flying very nice sports circuits forward and backwards and am getting quite good at inverted hovering in all orientations and have done some sloppy, but complete piro flips...... I am no 3D pro, but I am far from a complete novice.

I am however a complete novice with fuel engines.

The Heli is an unflown Outrage Velocity 50 which will be almost impossible to get parts for if and when I crash it, so I fully accept it is a one crash deal. I am OK with this as I got it at the right price.... If and when I crash it, a lot of the parts will go to a Trex 600n.

My plan with this one is to treat it as two almost separate projects and bring them together at the end when I am happy and confident when both aspects are working correctly idependantly...

1. Converting to FBL and finishing all flight control systems, which I am quite confident with and have a few very experienced people I can consult at my local field.

2.The motor....
This is where I need some knowledge and advice.... (the heli guys at my field stopped flying fuel years ago because they don't like them)

this is what I know.....

.The motor is a OS55 which apparently has been started once.
.There are three bolts out of four which are missing in the top bearing block... refer to pics....
Any suggestions why?
Should I investigate further?
or should I find and fit the bolts and be done?

There is a bracket on left hand side just above the clutch(I think its the clutch anyway) Is this for a speed sensor? Do I need this or only if I want an accurate governor?
Should I pull the motor and have a look inside it?
Can I run the motor in with no load on it? ie. With no main gear.
What do I need to know and how do I inspect the clutch system (I assume it has one so it can idle without spooling blades)

Once I have some more knowledge and a good idea that I'm heading in the right direction, I will most likely bring it to the field and run the first tank under the supervision of some very experienced plankers.

I am well aware of the risks and don't plan on taking any more than necessary. Safety is a prority.Thanks for the help.

Paul.

Last edited by 73MOH; Apr 19, 2016 at 02:54 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 02:55 AM
Joined Nov 2010
4,659 Posts
Quote:
What do I need to know and how do I inspect the clutch system (I assume it has one so it can idle without spooling blades)

Paul.
Paul,
First advice I would give, don't dismantle this engine, no needed.
You can run the engine at low power levels without the main blades, without a maingear is questional.
It seems to me that nothing can be wrong with the clutch system, more important can be the position of the engine related to the main gear wheel, space between the teeth at several circumference locations of the main gear wheel.
Very nice helicopter.
The bolts that are missing above the clutch are very important for the ballbearing housing in the frame, these have to be replaced before running the engine. The right position is adjustable and has to be aligned with the engine and the ball bearing of the starter shaft in the clutch. Why these are missing? Maybe misaligment or it happened during starting with a wrong starter motor hex coupling .
Cees
Last edited by Taurus Flyer; Apr 19, 2016 at 03:57 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 04:42 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
7,029 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses guys..... I will never take offence to anyone offering me good advice.

A little more about me......

I'm 44yrs old and have been fairly obsessed with RC Helicopters for the last 3 years.... I have worked my way up and built (and rebuilt)many FBL electric from 300 to 550 size with much success.... I am quite confident with all the mechanics and setup involved with an electric heli. I am currently flying very nice sports circuits forward and backwards and am getting quite good at inverted hovering in all orientations and have done some sloppy, but complete piro flips...... I am no 3D pro, but I am far from a complete novice.

I am however a complete novice with fuel engines.
Ah, OK, didn't know that.... quick glance seemed to indicate most of your posts were in the multirotor section, hence my response.

Quote:

1. Converting to FBL and finishing all flight control systems, which I am quite confident with and have a few very experienced people I can consult at my local field.
Not really my field of expertise anyway.

Quote:

2.The motor....
This is where I need some knowledge and advice.... (the heli guys at my field stopped flying fuel years ago because they don't like them)

this is what I know.....

.The motor is a OS55 which apparently has been started once.
.There are three bolts out of four which are missing in the top bearing block... refer to pics....
Any suggestions why?
Should I investigate further?
or should I find and fit the bolts and be done?
Definitely check if there are no stripped threads and such, but if the heli has never been flown and it is since long out of production, it means it has been standing around for some time, maybe the previous owner cannibalized some bolts.

Quote:

There is a bracket on left hand side just above the clutch(I think its the clutch anyway) Is this for a speed sensor? Do I need this or only if I want an accurate governor?
Yup, only if you want to use a governor. For beginners not recommended, better first learn to set the carb and the throttle curve, once everything is OK, you can install a governor and life will be much simpler (but if you make life simple without knowing what is going on in the carb and engine, you might end up making life a nightmare).

Quote:
You might, if you have a reason to mistrust the seller, otherwise I would leave it alone. Only pull the backplate to see if there is any rust in the bearings. If not, box-up, if so, find somebody to help you change the bearings (or do it yourself if you feel comfortable with that)

Quote:
Spooling up without the blades is a good option, but without the main gear not so. Might cause the clutch to rattle and damage itself. Whatever you do, when starting the engine without load, take care for not overrevving anything. Best keep it at idle or elevated idle at most...

Quote:
Once I have some more knowledge and a good idea that I'm heading in the right direction, I will most likely bring it to the field and run the first tank under the supervision of some very experienced plankers.
Any help is better than no help, but be aware that the sound and behavior of even the same engine differs between planks and helies, so don't navigate blind on them. Also, demands are different.
For example: in planes a reliable idle is pretty important (to prevent deadsticks for example) while with helies idle only serves to get you from pitt to flightline and a stalling engine at idle will not jeopardize the heli. Also, heli engines usually run fixed RPM and variable load, which makes adjusting the engine in midrange a different affair from plane engines, in which load is RPM dependant.

You need to gradually learn to recognize the different running conditions and connected carb settings, usually plane people (not meant condescending) are not used to this....
Old Apr 19, 2016, 04:42 AM
Find More Posts by gerryndennis
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Jun 2008
427 Posts
There's a fuel helicopter section in the forum.

You'd probably get some good guidance there too.

Good luck getting the heli flying,

Dave H
gerryndennis is offline Find More Posts by gerryndennis
Last edited by gerryndennis; Apr 19, 2016 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Stupid autocratic.... auto crate..... I give up
Old Apr 19, 2016, 05:53 AM
Find More Posts by 73MOH
Joined Apr 2014
40 Posts
Thanks guys..... I really appreciate the responses.
I will post a thread in the Heli fuel section as suggested.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by sippy
Joined May 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus Flyer View Post
sippy, are you experienced with model airplanes and specific helicopters.
It looks you are more interested in other subjects.
Taurus Flyer
I'm 44yrs old and know sound advise and I aint gonna drag myself down to your level.
Good Morro.
sippy is offline Find More Posts by sippy
Old Apr 19, 2016, 01:09 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
7,029 Posts
OMG.... it is getting worse and worse....
Old Apr 19, 2016, 02:53 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
OMG.... it is getting worse and worse....
No worry Brutus, I remembered his off topic posts in the 'glow fuel expiration date' thread and combined with the information he only posted 143 times I thought, let me ask, why not.

Taurus Flyer
Old Apr 19, 2016, 09:11 PM
Find More Posts by boothg-3
texas
Joined Feb 2010
247 Posts
Quality of posts is more important than quantity of posts
boothg-3 is offline Find More Posts by boothg-3